PFT: Cowboys expecting a big year from linebacker Bruce Carter

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys expecting a big year from linebacker Bruce Carter

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 15, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT

How can an already bad Cowboys defense get better after losing top players DeMarcus Ware and Sean Lee? The Cowboys have to hope the players on the roster can get better. And there’s no player they’re counting on more than linebacker Bruce Carter.

Cowboys linebackers coach Matt Eberflus told ESPN that Carter has “ramped up” in the offseason, and there are big expectations in Big D about Carter this season.

“I think he’s taking steps in the right direction,” Eberflus said. “And he’s putting the work in. He’s meeting with me as much as he can. Studying the tape, giving him clear and concise goals daily for practice and he’s doing a good job of attaining those goals each and every day so when he does that he takes steps in the right direction to improve his fundamentals and his game.”

Carter hasn’t been quite the player the Cowboys thought they were getting when they spent a second-round draft pick on him in 2011, but this year there’s been talk that he’s more motivated because he’s set to become a free agent after the season. Head coach Jason Garrett, however, says the improvement he’s expecting from Carter isn’t about wanting to get paid.

“That’s certainly a cliché thing in all of sports, that people talk about, ‘He’s in a contract year and he’s going to take a different approach than he had up till this point,’” Garrett said. “I don’t know if I buy that with guys that I have been around. I think Bruce Carter wants to be a really good football player. I think that’s independent of anything that is going on in the business side. I think getting comfortable in this scheme for the second year — I think Sean Lee’s absence will help him. It will force him to step up a little bit more. It will force Justin Durant to step up a little bit more. Sometimes you can have a player as strong as Sean Lee is — such a great leader like Sean is — sometimes you defer to that guy. I think it’s really important for those guys to understand he’s not here right now. They have to step up. They’ve done a better job of that throughout the OTAs and minicamp.”

If the Cowboys are going to have any hope of their defense improving, Carter will have to prove his coaches right.

Cotton

Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I hope he does, too...but don't have much faith it happens.

Not sure if he didn't study enough with Lee or if he just isn't that smart, but he seems to be a little behind on plays.

Maybe putting the time in with Eberflus will keep him from thinking so much on the field.

Cotton

Staff member
Can contract year pay off for Bruce Carter?

July, 15, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- It's a week before the Dallas Cowboys arrive in Oxnard, California, for training camp and we already know just how big of a year it is for Bruce Carter.

It's been written and talked about countless times in the offseason.

Carter is entering the final year of his rookie contract, set to become a free agent after the season. At one point he was viewed as a core player, vital to the future growth of the Cowboys' defense. After a frustrating 2013 season, he is not viewed that way anymore.

But it doesn't mean he can't be viewed that way again.

In 2011, Anthony Spencer was in a contract year and tied his career high with six sacks. He also had 31 quarterback pressures and four forced fumbles. His overall game made him a valuable player in the Cowboys' 3-4.

The Cowboys placed the franchise tag on Spencer for the 2012 season.

In another contract year, Spencer had his best season, putting up a career-high 11 sacks and earning his first Pro Bowl bid.

The Cowboys put the franchise tag on him again for 2013, guaranteeing him nearly $20 million over the two seasons in which he was tagged.

Last season, he played in only one game because of a knee injury that required microfracture surgery and might keep him out of the beginning of this season. Once again he is in a contract year, having signed a one-year deal that could be worth as much as $3.5 million.

Jason Hatcher was in a contract year last year and responded with his best season. He had 11 sacks -- after putting up just 16 in his previous seven -- and was named to the Pro Bowl. His age -- he turned 32 on Sunday -- kept the Cowboys from making a play at re-signing him, but the Washington Redskins signed him to a four-year, $27.5 million deal as a free agent.

Way back in 2007, Ken Hamlin joined the Cowboys on a one-year deal. He put up a career-high five picks and was named to the Pro Bowl. Prior to the 2008 season, he signed a six-year, $39 million deal with the Cowboys that included $15 million guaranteed. He was cut after the 2009 season.

Some contract years have not been as productive. Cornerback Mike Jenkins saw the Cowboys add Brandon Carr in free agency with a $50 million deal and draft Morris Claibornewith the sixth overall pick. Jenkins was coming off shoulder surgery, did his rehab elsewhere and started only two of 13 games in 2012. He signed with the Oakland Raiders.

Gerald Sensabaugh played on three straight one-year deals with the Cowboys from 2009-11 before cashing in at the end of the 2011 season with a five-year, $22.5 million deal that included $8 million guaranteed. He was cut after the 2012 season.

Which brings us back to Carter, the club's second-round pick in 2011.

"That's certainly a cliché thing in all of sports, that people talk about, 'He's in a contract year and he's going to take a different approach than he had up till this point,'" coach Jason Garrett said. "I don't know if I buy that with guys that I have been around. I think Bruce Carter wants to be a really good football player. I think that's independent of anything that is going on in the business side. I think getting comfortable in this scheme for the second year -- I think Sean Lee's absence will help him. It will force him to step up a little bit more. It will force Justin Durant to step up a little bit more. Sometimes you can have a player as strong as Sean Lee is -- such a great leader like Sean is -- sometimes you defer to that guy. I think it's really important for those guys to understand he's not here right now. They have to step up. They've done a better job of that throughout the OTAs and minicamp."

Linebackers coach Matt Eberflus said Carter has "ramped up," the meetings with the position coach in the offseason.

"I think he's taking steps in the right direction," Eberflus said. "And he's putting the work in. He's meeting with me as much as he can. Studying the tape, giving him clear and concise goals daily for practice and he's doing a good job of attaining those goals each and every day so when he does that he takes steps in the right direction to improve his fundamentals and his game."

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's a catch 22 bc if he has a breakout year we probably can't afford him on another Sean Lee type contract. And if he doesn't break out we probably don't want him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Cowboys expecting a big year from linebacker Bruce Carter
You can't expect anything based on a handful of games in 2012, and he did next to nothing in several games in 2011.

The man played 16 games last year and did not distinguish himself. To his credit he's had a new defensive scheme to adjust to and the NFL's worst DL blocking for him, but neither of those things stopped Sean Lee from excelling in the limited games he played.

Bruce Carter is a JAG who the team needs to step up, just like every other JAG since there are no stars on this defensive front.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, that was terrible.

Cotton

Staff member
I love Carr's reaction right at the end. It was like, "WTF WERE YOU THINKING?!".

shane

DCC 4Life
It's a catch 22 bc if he has a breakout year we probably can't afford him on another Sean Lee type contract. And if he doesn't break out we probably don't want him.
I'm sure Jerry will give him the big bucks regardless of his performance.

Top Bottom