Cowboys at Bears | Week 14 Gameday Chatter Thread | 12/8/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:lol

Smitty claiming someone has a ridiculous agenda regarding Garrett. :lol Yeah it's a ridiculous agenda to blame the HC when his team fails time after time.
I'm not the only one saying that you have no point here.

It's the two minute offense. You pass the ball.

You can still hold the head coach responsible for losing without resorting to nonsense like this.

You won't let it go though because... well.... your agenda is every bit as big as the one you claim I have.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Again one of your favorites but you are adept at pointing out the splinter in one person's eye while ignoring the plank in your own.
No, I'm quite aware that I get sucked in to these quite easily.

But so do you on this subject. Because.... well.... agenda.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

You can still hold the head coach responsible for losing without resorting to nonsense like this.

You won't let it go though because... well.... your agenda is every bit as big as the one you claim I have.
You are the only one defending Garrett though. Funny how it's not so important to count allies when it comes to that. Plenty of people agree with me on the two minute thing too so not sure what your point is.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If your point is that "in the grand scheme of things" Garrett still hasn't won any playoff games with more talent, well no one disputes that Garrett hasn't accomplished anything despite having more talent.
So you agree with us that the guy should be run out of town for being shitty. Good to know.

But that doesn't make him as bad as Campo, no matter how many times Garrett goes 8-8. Campo's shittyness isn't entirely encapsulated simply by his W-L record of 3 straight 5-11 seasons. The guy was a fucking circus clown, and Garrett would literally have to TRY to be that bad.
And here you go again. Trying to prop Garrett up by comparing him to an alltimer shitty coach. And that is all any body is saying. That Garrett is not good. Not that Garrett is AS bad as Campo.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So you agree with us that the guy should be run out of town for being shitty. Good to know.
I've said many times we should target a replacement who is an upgrade.

Though Garrett isn't shitty, he's average.

And here you go again. Trying to prop Garrett up by comparing him to an alltimer shitty coach. And that is all any body is saying. That Garrett is not good. Not that Garrett is AS bad as Campo.
It's not propping him up to draw a clear distinction between him and ACTUAL horrible coaches. If you run around saying everything Garrett does is "horrible" and that he's such a horrible coach, you lose perspective as to what horrible really is, and you become blind to what you really need.

It's important to know the difference and that's why I "defend" him so much, not because I personally love the guy.

And before anyone says "Shitty is shitty, get rid of him" -- maybe this is a perspective we should have had with Rob Ryan, who looks a hell of a lot better right now than Kiffin does. Maybe Ryan was actually an ok coach.

Let's not keep making that mistake. That's why its important. It applies to Garrett too.

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Though Garrett isn't shitty, he's average.

Sure. Ok. Keep telling yourself that. And even if by some crazy definition he was average, average in this case is still shitty. Unless you consider not even sniffing the playoffs much less winning in them "average".

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Unless you consider not even sniffing the playoffs much less winning in them "average".
Yes, that is the definition of average. Only the top 12 teams make the playoffs every year, the "average" ones are generally going to miss the playoffs.

Here's where you say "So why is average good enough?"

I'm not saying it's good enough. Replace Garrett with someone who is better than average. I'm all for it.

Problem is, a playoff run every 3-4 years doesn't make a coach better than average, so all those coaches in the soft middle there who aren't consistent winners are most likely not any better than what we've got.

Cotton

Staff member
Okay, so to recap. Garrett is a shitty coach, but Campo is WAY shittier.

KFC or Popeye's?

Cotton

Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yes, that is the definition of average. Only the top 12 teams make the playoffs every year, the "average" ones are generally going to miss the playoffs.

Here's where you say "So why is average good enough?"

I'm not saying it's good enough. Replace Garrett with someone who is better than average. I'm all for it.

Problem is, a playoff run every 3-4 years doesn't make a coach better than average, so all those coaches in the soft middle there who aren't consistent winners are most likely not any better than what we've got.
Ahhhh, so there's the problem. Your definition of average is fucked up.

Every other person that doesn't count swinging from ginger nuts as a hobby would classify never making the playoffs, fucked up game plans, fucked up game management as you know... shitty.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Ahhhh, so there's the problem. Your definition of average is fucked up.

Every other person that doesn't count swinging from ginger nuts as a hobby would classify never making the playoffs, fucked up game plans, fucked up game management as you know... shitty.
I consider average to be like, if there are 30 coaches, then the average is the 11-20 range, yes. I guess maybe another word is better for that, like mean or something, I dunno (yes, I know there are actually 32).

But since I would maintain that only about 10 or 12 other active coaches are habitually free from "fucked up game plans" and "fucked up game management" of the type that people seem to complain about all the time, its not really smart to say "everyone else is shitty." You need another category.

Of course if we're going with Geng's genius plan of passing the ball in the two minute warning is bad game management, then there is not a single coach in the league who does not have fucked up game management.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
There's no way that most coaches in the league win with the garbage Campo had.

But Campo was still a fucking clown who didn't demand any respect and whose house was never in order in the slightest. He had no idea what was going on and was completely over his head.

Garrett is far better than that.
He's 3 games better with far better talent on the field.

Campo was a terrible coach...but he also had TERRIBLE players on both sides of the ball.

Can't say that for Garrett. Plus, he's running his own offensive scheme. That makes it even worse.

I like your desire to not give up on an argument, but you are starting to look fucking retarded defending Garrett.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Campo was a terrible coach...but he also had TERRIBLE players on both sides of the ball.

Can't say that for Garrett. Plus, he's running his own offensive scheme. That makes it even worse.

I like your desire to not give up on an argument, but you are starting to look fucking retarded defending Garrett.
Starting?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

:buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom