JJT: Tyrone Crawford happy to be at full strength again

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tyrone Crawford happy to be at full strength again
12:17 PM ET
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- At the end of last season, defensive lineman Tyrone Crawford couldn’t bench press 225 pounds because of a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder. Understand, Crawford bench-pressed that same weight 28 times at the 2012 NFL scouting combine.

The lack of strength made Crawford the equivalent of a 98-pound weakling on the defensive line, where a lack of strength made it easy for offensive linemen to push him around.

It showed in Crawford’s performance.

The Dallas Cowboys signed Crawford to a five-year deal worth $42.5 million last September because they believed he was a play-making defensive tackle, who would be a dynamic player in the Cowboys’ defense. Instead, he totaled just five sacks and wasn’t the difference-maker the Cowboys envisioned.

Now, the plan is for Crawford to start the season at defensive end since Randy Gregory has been suspended for the season’s first four games and DeMarcus Lawrence is appealing a four-game suspension for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy.

Crawford, who had offseason surgery, has re-gained his strength and is bench-pressing 450 pounds these days. The strength combined with the rest of his skill set should allow him to play well whether defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli chooses to use him at defensive end or defensive tackle.

“The blocking -- the different blocks you’re going to get -- are a little different at defensive end,” Crawford said. “but all of my reads will probably come right back as soon as I do it for a little while.”

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'd rather he just stay at DT and let the other guys battle it out at DE.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd rather he just stay at DT and let the other guys battle it out at DE.
I agree. He needs to focus on his craft and not be distracted into yet another injury.

Let Mayowa, Russell, Irving, etc. step up and have a chance to earn more PT.

People underestimate how much the depth at 3-technique with Melton and Crawford contributed to Marinelli's defense working as prescribed in 2014.

DE is less important in this defense. Maybe in any defense.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I agree. He needs to focus on his craft and not be distracted into yet another injury.

Let Mayowa, Russell, Irving, etc. step up and have a chance to earn more PT.

People underestimate how much the depth at 3-technique with Melton and Crawford contributed to Marinelli's defense working as prescribed in 2014.

DE is less important in this defense. Maybe in any defense.
I'm really looking forward to what Irving can do this year. He showed some nice flashes last year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crawford has played end in our defense before. It's pretty normal for him to shift around. I don't think there is anything to be concerned about of he starts some games at end and plays 3 technique in the nickle.

townsend

Banned
Crawford has played end in our defense before. It's pretty normal for him to shift around. I don't think there is anything to be concerned about of he starts some games at end and plays 3 technique in the nickle.
It seems like Marinelli's "rushmen" concept is based on some amount of interchangeability.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Interchangeable is just code for the idea that the player does not excel at doing one thing so you pretend he can do other things at least 50% well enough.

I hope Collins pans out because I don't have much hope for Crawford being a strong 3-T.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Interchangeable is just code for the idea that the player does not excel at doing one thing so you pretend he can do other things at least 50% well enough.

I hope Collins pans out because I don't have much hope for Crawford being a strong 3-T.
Crawford was at his best rotating with Melton, so a combination of Collins and Crawford next to Thornton sounds very good.

They just need be able to focus on becoming better 3T's and not worry about other positions.

I'm loving that this suspension of Gregory's non-factor ass is giving Irving and Russell an opportunity.

Lawrence being out really hurts, though.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's insane that he couldn't even bench 225 and is now putting up 450. Alot of people soured on him a bit after the contract but I think he will prove to be worth it soon enough. I don't think there is a huge difference between him and a guy like Malik Jackson or Derek Wolfe in all honesty, it's just that those guys had elite talent all around them on their side of the ball the last few years.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's insane that he couldn't even bench 225 and is now putting up 450. Alot of people soured on him a bit after the contract but I think he will prove to be worth it soon enough. I don't think there is a huge difference between him and a guy like Malik Jackson or Derek Wolfe in all honesty, it's just that those guys had elite talent all around them on their side of the ball the last few years.
OMG homer

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
OMG homer
Maybe but you bitch and whine all the time about these guys being gutless and this dude was out there playing it out when there was nothing to gain when he couldn't even lift 225.

High school players lift 225, message board posters lift 225, and this guy still put up 5 sacks against NFL linemen when we were often playing from behind and/or opposing offenses had little to no incentive to take risks, think about that for a minute.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Maybe but you bitch and whine all the time about these guys being gutless and this dude was out there playing it out when there was nothing to gain when he couldn't even lift 225.

High school players lift 225, message board posters lift 225, and this guy still put up 5 sacks against NFL linemen when we were often playing from behind and/or opposing offenses had little to no incentive to take risks, think about that for a minute.
OMG homer

Top Bottom