Kiper: Initial Top NFL Prospects by Position

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Top NFL prospects by position

Top 10 at every position, and more than 200 overall, are ranked

Updated: January 16, 2014, 4:14 PM ET

By Mel Kiper Jr. | ESPN Insider

The 2014 NFL class is officially set. All draft-eligible non-seniors are declared.

I updated these rankings several times during the college football season, but this is the first ranking that reflects only players who are eligible for the 2014 NFL draft. Players like Marcus Mariota, Vic Beasley or Brett Hundley who were high on these lists previously are headed back to school for another year. But that's not the only reason for shifts, as we saw a number of good matchups and performances during bowl season that factor in.

Remember: Prospects below are listed under projected NFL positions. So there could be a college tackle listed at guard, a college defensive end listed at linebacker and so on. I can tell you I've spent time studying every position, and even updated the punters this week.

I'll keep at it, and there are updates to come with the postseason all-star games and NFL combine in the near future.

* Denotes a junior at time of entering the draft.

** Denotes a redshirt sophomore at time of entering draft.

Offense

Quarterbacks

1. *Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
2. *Blake Bortles, Central Florida
3. **Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
4. Derek Carr, Fresno St.
5. AJ McCarron, Alabama
6. Zach Mettenberger, LSU
7. *Brett Smith, Wyoming
8. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech
9. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
10. David Fales, San Jose St.

Updates: The biggest jump from previous rankings is Bortles, who has spiked due to both his play and also his list of traits. He now seems certain to land inside the top 10 due to significant need at quarterback among teams drafting early. McCarron won't play in the Senior Bowl, and I think that provides a good opportunity for Carr to lock up his place as the likely No. 4 QB taken, which could certainly be in the first round. Smith is an interesting prospect because he brings a lot of athleticism.

Running backs

1. Carlos Hyde, Ohio St.
2. *Ka'Deem Carey, Arizona
3. *Bishop Sankey, Washington
4. *Jeremy Hill, LSU
5. *Lache Seastrunk, Baylor
6. *De'Anthony Thomas, Oregon
7. *Tre Mason, Auburn
8. Charles Sims, West Virginia
9. Marion Grice, Arizona St.
10. Andre Williams, Boston College

Updates: The underclassmen dominate this class, with Carey the top challenger to Hyde. I think Hyde still has an advantage on the field because of his superior size. Unless he runs really poorly -- and he doesn't have to run quite as fast as the smaller guys given his size -- he's my current pick to be the top RB taken. The presence of Hill adds another big, physical back to the mix, which is no help to Williams.

Fullbacks

1. Trey Millard, Oklahoma
2. Ryan Hewitt, Stanford
3. Jay Prosch, Auburn
4. J.C. Copeland, LSU
5. Kiero Small, Arkansas
6. Chad Young, San Diego St.
7. Chad Abram, Florida St.
8. C.J. Zimmerer, Nebraska
9. Jordan Luallen, Cincinnati
10. David Sims, Georgia Tech

Updates: I still give Millard the edge here, though he'll be working his way back from a serious knee injury suffered late in the season. I'll be interested to see how Copeland runs, simply because he's an absolute bowling bowl at about 270 pounds.

Wide receivers

1. *Sammy Watkins, Clemson
2. *Marqise Lee, USC
3. **Mike Evans, Texas A&M
4. **Kelvin Benjamin, Florida St.
5. *Brandin Cooks, Oregon St.
6. *Odell Beckham Jr., LSU
7. Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt
8. *Allen Robinson, Penn St.
9. *Donte Moncrief, Mississippi
10. **Davante Adams, Fresno St.

Updates: This is a deep class, and depending on how they work out, I can see up to eight of these guys with at least a shot to be drafted in Round 1. Evans faced a lot of questions about his acceleration, but his ability to catch anything thrown his way could push him into the range of the top 10. I still think Watkins is a good bet to go first among this group.

Tight ends

1. *Eric Ebron, North Carolina
2. *Jace Amaro, Texas Tech
3. *Troy Niklas, Notre Dame
4. *Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
5. *Richard Rodgers, California
6. *Jake Murphy, Utah
7. *Colt Lyerla, Oregon
8. C.J. Fiedorowicz, Iowa
9. *Xavier Grimble, USC
10. Joe Don Duncan, Dixie St.

Updates: While Ebron and Amaro were ranked in the same position on my last version, it's Niklas who has really jumped. Seferian-Jenkins is a tantalizing talent if he's still around midway through Round 2.

Offensive tackles

1. Jake Matthews, Texas A&M
2. *Greg Robinson, Auburn
3. Taylor Lewan, Michigan
4. *Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama
5. Zack Martin, Notre Dame
6. *Antonio Richardson, Tennessee
7. Jack Mewhort, Ohio St.
8. Ja'Wuan James, Tennessee
9. Morgan Moses, Virginia
10. James Hurst, North Carolina

Updates: Robinson has made the biggest jump of any player in the draft class over the past season. I think he could still push Matthews to be the top tackle taken. Martin has moved up the most among seniors.

Offensive guards

1. Cyril Richardson, Baylor
2. *David Yankey, Stanford
3. Gabe Jackson, Mississippi St.
4. *Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA
5. Joel Bitonio, Nevada
6. Chris Watt, Notre Dame
7. Ryan Groy, Wisconsin
8. Wesley Johnson, Vanderbilt
9. Brandon Thomas, Clemson
10. Zach Fulton, Tennessee

Updates: Due to his versatility and ability to move extremely well both pulling and getting down the field, Yankey could push to be the first guard taken. Remember, he was an All-American at tackle in 2012 before moving inside to guard.

Centers

1. *Russell Bodine, North Carolina
2. Travis Swanson, Arkansas
3. Weston Richburg, Colorado St.
4. *Marcus Martin, USC
5. Bryan Stork, Florida St.
6. Jonotthan Harrison, Florida
7. Tyler Larsen, Utah St.
8. James Stone, Tennessee
9. Gabe Ikard, Oklahoma
10. Zac Kerin, Toledo

Updates: When Hroniss Grasu of Oregon opted to return to Eugene for another year, it moved most guys here up, as Grasu could have challenged to be the top center taken.

Defense

Defensive ends

1. *Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina
2. *Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame
3. *Scott Crichton, Oregon St.
4. *Kony Ealy, Missouri
5. Kareem Martin, North Carolina
6. Marcus Smith, Louisville
7. Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas
8. *Aaron Lynch, South Florida
9. *Demarcus Lawrence, Boise St.
10. *Jeoffrey Pagan, Alabama

Updates: Underclassmen dominate the top of the board. I don't think a lack of production in 2013 will hurt Clowney much, as we always knew he'd do extremely well during the draft process. It'll be interesting to see how Tuitt measures out. He can easily hold 320 pounds while maintaining some quickness, but I bet he could also play 4-3 defensive end at something around 300. That's a big-time athlete.

Defensive tackles

1. *Timmy Jernigan, Florida St.
2. *Louis Nix III, Notre Dame
3. *Kelcy Quarles, South Carolina
4. *Dominique Easley, Florida
5. Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh
6. *Ego Ferguson, LSU
7. Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota
8. *Anthony Johnson, LSU
9. DaQuan Jones, Penn St.
10. Daniel McCullers, Tennessee

Updates: Quarles has risen the most on this list since the last ranking. Donald had an incredibly productive year, and could become a first-round pick if he works out well. Hageman is another guy to watch during the workout process. He needs to be a physical freak and show off upside, because productivity hasn't matched his rep as an athlete.

Inside linebackers

1. C.J. Mosley, Alabama
2. Chris Borland, Wisconsin
3. Shayne Skov, Stanford
4. Preston Brown, Louisville
5. *Yawin Smallwood, Connecticut
6. Jordan Zumwalt, UCLA
7. Glenn Carson, Penn St.
8. Avery Williamson, Kentucky
9. Max Bullough, Michigan St.
10. Lamin Barrow, LSU

Updates: This is a good class, not a great one. Mosley could land in the top 15, but Borland faces questions on height, Skov on his injury history.

Outside linebackers

1. Anthony Barr, UCLA
2. Khalil Mack, Buffalo
3. *Ryan Shazier, Ohio St.
4. *Carl Bradford, Arizona St.
5. Trent Murphy, Stanford
6. Telvin Smith, Florida St.
7. Jeremiah Attaochu, Georgia Tech
8. Kyle Van Noy, BYU
9. Dee Ford, Auburn
10. *Adrian Hubbard, Alabama

Updates: Bradford really came on down the stretch and made the late decision to enter the draft. He's currently got a second-round grade on my board. Murphy will be one to watch during workouts, because he's highly productive and has a good range of pass-rushing skills. Is he enough of an athlete?

Cornerbacks

1. Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma St.
2. Darqueze Dennard, Michigan St.
3. Jason Verrett, TCU
4. Aaron Colvin, Oklahoma
5. *Marcus Roberson, Florida
6. *Bradley Roby, Ohio St.
7. *Loucheiz Purifoy, Florida
8. Keith McGill, Utah
9. Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
10. *Terrance Mitchell, Oregon

Updates: After a poor 2012 season, Gilbert was kind of the NFL draft comeback player of the year, and showed off good size, change-of-direction quickness and fluid speed to run with anybody. Dennard is a complete corner. Roby dipped but could recover some if he runs as fast as he's capable of.

Safeties

1. *Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Alabama
2. *Calvin Pryor, Louisville
3. Lamarcus Joyner, Florida St.
4. *Dion Bailey, USC
5. Antone Exum, Virginia Tech
6. Deone Bucannon, Washington St.
7. Ahmad Dixon, Baylor
8. Terrence Brooks, Florida St.
9. Marqueston Huff, Wyoming
10. Ty Zimmerman, Kansas St.

Updates: The biggest jump here has been made by Pryor, who had a dominating stretch to finish the season. Joyner is going to be a guy who can come in and play right away. There just isn't anything he can't do in coverage, and he is willing to attack the line of scrimmage to make plays.

Special teams

Kickers

1. Anthony Fera, Texas
2. Cairo Santos, Tulane
3. Chris Boswell, Rice
4. Zach Hocker, Arkansas
5. Carey Spear, Vanderbilt
6. Mitch Ewald, Indiana
7. Andrew Furney, Washington St.
8. Vincent D'Amato, California
9. Chandler Catanzaro, Clemson
10. Mike Meyer, Iowa

Punters

1. Kirby Van Der Kamp, Iowa St.
2. Richie Leone, Houston
3. Tom Hornsey, Memphis
4. Steven Clark, Auburn
5. Pat O'Donnell, Miami (FL)
6. Cody Mandell, Alabama
7. Cody Webster, Purdue
8. Ben Skaer, New Mexico
9. Tyler Campbell, Mississippi
10. Will Scott, Troy

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I like that group of OLB's, I think we could snag a pretty good one in the 3rd-4th area. If Mack or by some miracle Barr were there at 16/17 I'd take them.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Kiper always cracks me up with his rankings and how they change. From his first ranking to his final, guys just like disappear and appear without notice.

Honestly, this should be a pure ranking based on if you actually watched these guys play. On the field. There are no more games.

Take Logan Thomas for example. He'll probably be an afterthought when the draft is all said and done, but he's here. Why? It can't be the tape.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kiper always cracks me up with his rankings and how they change. From his first ranking to his final, guys just like disappear and appear without notice.

Honestly, this should be a pure ranking based on if you actually watched these guys play. On the field. There are no more games.

Take Logan Thomas for example. He'll probably be an afterthought when the draft is all said and done, but he's here. Why? It can't be the tape.
It's because Kiper isn't a true evaluator. He never has been. He is a guy who can gather information from what other people tell him and form a list really well. He is basically waiting for teams to form their opinions so that he can form his.

Further just because the games are done doesn't mean the evaluation process has ended. Scouts are still watching tape and evaluating players play from during the season. That means that as they watch more tape on players the players stock my climb or fall based purely on that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's because Kiper isn't a true evaluator. He never has been. He is a guy who can gather information from what other people tell him and form a list really well. He is basically waiting for teams to form their opinions so that he can form his.
Pretty much.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
8. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech
9. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
10. David Fales, San Jose St.
Those other two dopes must really suck if Logan Thomas is ranked ahead of them

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I remember getting railed on by SBK when I said Kiper sucked.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Kiper doesn't suck though...great barometer how teams are thinking.

He just doesn't have integrity in his method of rating like someone like Buchsbaum did.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

He just doesn't have integrity in his method of rating like someone like Buchsbaum did.
He's not very good at evaluating talent. Plus, he's a huge douche nozzle.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Perhaps I'm slow, but how can he have Manziel as the third rated QB going 1st overall in his mock?

D

Deuce

Perhaps I'm slow, but how can he have Manziel as the third rated QB going 1st overall in his mock?
Supposedly the rankings are his own but the mock is his projection.

But it's obvious what most people make of his rankings.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Supposedly the rankings are his own but the mock is his projection.

But it's obvious what most people make of his rankings.
I guess I don't understand why his rankings and his mock would be different at the top spot. The Texans need a quarterback, but will want someone different from who he sees as the best at the position. Seems pretty presumptuous to me, but I guess he has sources.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
SBK didn't know shit more about football than most of us here, he just knew how to talk louder. He's nothing but a little bitch, evidenced by where he dragged his sorry ass back to after being banished from every Cowboy board on the internet.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Buschbaum was the GOAT. Absolutely without peer.

Top Bottom