2013 College Football chatter....

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
And if Auburn wins yet another title than they'll still hold their heads up high.
I'm not worried about that. I think FSU pulls off a double-digit victory.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I'm the biggest of big fans 1big but I am a nervous Nellie about the OU team this year. They are world beaters at times then quickly turn into timid Tim's. I suspect some of it is Heupel Sp? Granted they are thin on defense but Stoops does make adjustments. The QB position is as much a mystery as it was at the start of the season.
I'm hoping we see Knight tomorrow night. Both QBs passing skills are shaky but at least Knight can make plays with his legs if things break down.

Knight also tends to get the ball out of his hands on time whereas Bell has a bad habit of locking on to one receiver then holding the ball too long.

I get the impression that Stoops/Heupel place more value in a player's experience rather than a player's talent because Knight is clearly more talented and looks like more of a natural QB.

1bigfan13

Staff member
2233 ran off Bill O'Brien.

Why Bill O'Brien left Ped State:

Bill O’Brien, as expected, is leaving Penn State after two seasons to become head coach of the Houston Texans.
Despite performing well in leading the Nittany Lions out of the Jerry Sandusky mess, O’Brien, it has been reported all fall, has been itching to return to the NFL and now we have a better idea of just why he’d leave State College, where he was 15-9. David Jones, in a column on Pennlive.com, writes of O’Brien’s frustrations at succeeding Joe Paterno, dealing with NCAA sanctions stemming from the Sandusky scandal and what he felt was a lack of leadership at the school. Jones spoke with O’Brien after assistant coach Ron Vanderlinden left the program, but did not publish the conversation until today. It’s a revealing look at the pressures of the job for an “outsider” in State College and how it felt to succeed a legendary coach.

“You can print this: You can print that I don’t really give a [expletive] what the ‘Paterno people’ think about what I do with this program,” he told Jones. “I’ve done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. I’m tired of it.

“For any ‘Paterno person’ to have any objection to what I’m doing, it makes me wanna put my fist through this windshield [he was in a car at the time] right now.”
He was just getting started:

“I’m trying to field the most competitive football team I can with near-death penalty [expletive] sanctions. Every time I say something like that and somebody prints it, it’s skewed as an excuse. And I’m not an excuse-maker. I’m trying to do the best I can for the kids in that program. That’s all I care about is the kids in that program. As long as I’m the head football coach here.”

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Per Chip Brown

One high-level source said Patterson on Tuesday flew to an undisclosed location to interview Louisville coach Charlie Strong, who has received a high recommendation from the search firm Korn/Ferry, which is assisting in the hunt for Mack Brown's replacement.

Another source close to the situation said Patterson has already interviewed Vanderbilt coach James Franklin and wants to talk to Michigan State's Mark Dantonio.

Patterson met with a group of Texas lettermen before the Alamo Bowl on Monday who expressed support for Baylor coach Art Briles.

A group of billionaire donors appear ready to make their case for Florida State's Jimbo Fisher as the next coach at Texas. Even though Fisher signed a new contract extension at FSU that will take his salary to $4.1 million, the new deal has no buyout, two sources confirmed.

Previously, Fisher had a buyout of $2 million. So the new deal effectively makes it easier for Fisher to leave, if he chose to do so, sources said.

Another billionaire Texas donor has let it be known he supports Jon Gruden as Mack Brown's replacement.

Patterson has consulted former Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds, who has recommended that even former Texas coach-in-waiting Will Muschamp, coming off a 4-8 season at Florida, get consideration, a source said.

Georgia's Mark Richt was also brought to Patterson's attention, a source said.

Former Rutgers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano has let it be known he's interested in the Texas job, a source close to Schiano said Tuesday.

High-powered candidates backed by varying high-powered agendas.

What's at stake? Only the hire that will make or break Patterson's tenure as athletic director. And all he has to do is navigate through all those shark-infested agendas and somehow consolidate them behind one coach.

Patterson's not talking. His spokesman's not talking.

All Patterson would say to reporters at the Alamo Bowl on Monday was that he'd have a hire by Jan. 15 - the end of the recruiting dead period (which doesn't allow for in-person contact between coaches and recruits).

Another source said Patterson would probably have a decision made within a week.

Welcome to Texas Steve Patterson.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

1bigfan13

Staff member
They should go after Heupel.

He's a young up and comer.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Corso has been spitting all over the place this morning on Gameday.

They need a squeegee on set.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Read about that last night. They said he took those last few photos then collapsed on the field.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Florida State is going to be a force for a while. I think they are back to stay.

Bowden must have stopped caring.

D

Deuce

Florida State is going to be a force for a while. I think they are back to stay.

Bowden must have stopped caring.
Not if they lose Jimbo. Recruiting in FL is cyclical and FL and Miami will get back soon. If they lose their coach, a bunch of kids jump ship. Make the wrong new hire and future kids won't even care about them.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Only about 50% of their recruits are from Florida. Recruiting is generally about a full year behind the success or failure of the team. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if the class next year will be even bigger and better. The recruits that you are in on now were generally being recruited way back last year. Continuing to build for the future through relationships with players, family and coaches is where it's at.

Besides that Miami has a class that is ranked just as highly as FSU has going right now. Florida is doing just fine as well, although not as good as they have been on the last 5-6 years.

I think that FSU is in great position to make a solid run for a while.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Not if they lose Jimbo. Recruiting in FL is cyclical and FL and Miami will get back soon. If they lose their coach, a bunch of kids jump ship. Make the wrong new hire and future kids won't even care about them.
Why would they lose Jimbo? He just signed a new contract.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
He signed one and lowered his buyout from $2M to 0. He can do what he wants.
I thought that was an interesting tidbit that I read. Cryptic even.

I'm hoping and praying that Briles ends up being the man.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Im totally stoked about the Baylor game tonight. There are some very intriguing things about this game. Two crappy teams made the big time. It is almost like both of them are underdogs.

D

Deuce

Why are you so pro-Briles for UT? Afraid he'll dominate west Texas for good if he stays?

D

Deuce

Im totally stoked about the Baylor game tonight. There are some very intriguing things about this game. Two crappy teams made the big time. It is almost like both of them are underdogs.
Those assholes stole our team colors and design for their uniforms tonight.

This just got personal.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Those assholes stole our team colors and design for their uniforms tonight.

This just got personal.
I'm too lazy to look, what time is the game and what channel does it come on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom