2016 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
According to this SI.com article, Oklahoma was 30 minutes away from joining the PAC 10 back in 2010.

------------------------------------------

The board of regents at Oklahoma was “within 30 minutes” of deciding to move the school to the Pac-10 in 2010, according to CBS Sports.

Citing a source from within the school, the report states that Oklahoma nearly joined in on a plan to expand the Pac-10 to 16 schools by adding six programs from the Big 12. Oklahoma ultimately stayed, and the Pac-10 recruited Utah and Colorado to become the Pac-12.

Oklahoma's president and board of regents are currently in disagreement on the future of the Big 12, which has 10 teams.

President David Boren is one of the main supporters of expanding to 12 schools, which would allow the conference to play a football championship game. However, board of regents chairman Max Weitzenhoffer said that he and others on the board don’t agree that there is a significant advantage to expansion.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
According to this SI.com article, Oklahoma was 30 minutes away from joining the PAC 10 back in 2010.

------------------------------------------

The board of regents at Oklahoma was “within 30 minutes” of deciding to move the school to the Pac-10 in 2010, according to CBS Sports.

Citing a source from within the school, the report states that Oklahoma nearly joined in on a plan to expand the Pac-10 to 16 schools by adding six programs from the Big 12. Oklahoma ultimately stayed, and the Pac-10 recruited Utah and Colorado to become the Pac-12.

Oklahoma's president and board of regents are currently in disagreement on the future of the Big 12, which has 10 teams.

President David Boren is one of the main supporters of expanding to 12 schools, which would allow the conference to play a football championship game. However, board of regents chairman Max Weitzenhoffer said that he and others on the board don’t agree that there is a significant advantage to expansion.
The commish of the Pac 10 was in Lubbock that day. A deal was struck and we ended up being screwed in the end. A legit conference with fair money sharing and an even vote. But nooooo we are stuck in this pile of crap.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If I had to choose I like to see the BIG XII add Cincinnati and UCF. That way you get visibility in 2 of the top 5 recruiting states.

Plus the Stoops are Ohio natives.

D

Deuce

If I had to choose I like to see the BIG XII add Cincinnati and UCF. That way you get visibility in 2 of the top 5 recruiting states.

Plus the Stoops are Ohio natives.
:towel

Plus that would give you an opportunity to drive up for one of my epic tailgates when we host Oklahoma.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
:towel

Plus that would give you an opportunity to drive up for one of my epic tailgates when we host Oklahoma.
Serious question - could UCF grow into a brand? I'm not insulting but what could the school really do? If they could start picking up some real talent from FL they could compete in the Big 12 regularly. How do you see it going down if it happens? UCF doesn't have a real national presence or many known traditions outside of the school, so it could be a perfect storm. They aren't overcoming any perceptions.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Serious question - could UCF grow into a brand? I'm not insulting but what could the school really do? If they could start picking up some real talent from FL they could compete in the Big 12 regularly. How do you see it going down if it happens? UCF doesn't have a real national presence or many known traditions outside of the school, so it could be a perfect storm. They aren't overcoming any perceptions.
I am not sure I would care about national presence at this point. My main concern would be to position the league for a championship game. That is the biggest rap on the conference toward a national championship run because of polls and ratings.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Looks like OU has joined TTU, UT and TCU against expansion...

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I was just about to post that. Their BOR aren't aligned with a move.

D

Deuce

Doesn't really matter what the BOR does or doesn't want. This is a President's vote and Boren is all in at this point with how much he's pined for it.

D

Deuce

Whether it becomes nationally recognized or not remains to be seen, but they are in the process of implementing their branding plan. I think they've done a nice job regionally and has some nationally recognition, thanks in part to the Fiesta Bowl. Add to that the massive Baby Boomeresque Alumni boost that will coming in a few years due to our massive enrollment and I think it's a brand that will carry some weight.

We also now that have a real nice, young AD who's jumped in feet first and made a lot of necessary changes after only 4 months on the job. In 3 years, he rebranded Buffalo which led to a jump of 137% in donations and endowments. With his expertise, I think he can take us further. In the few months he's been in charge, he implemented a Football Excellence Fund which has raised well over $1M in the first two months, cancelled negotiations with IMG and moved all our broadcasting and marketing in house and cleaned house with a lot of our athletic programs and staffs. In 2016, we'll have a new FB coaches, men and women's BB, men and women's tennis, men and women golf and expecting to cut lose our underachieving baseball coach once season ends. He's taking this Atheltics Association to new heights in a short time. Where all this money is coming from, I don't know. But it's obvious the commitment from the university is there.

Last edited by a moderator:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Doesn't really matter what the BOR does or doesn't want. This is a President's vote and Boren is all in at this point with how much he's pined for it.
Whaaa? The BOR doesn't matter?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Whether it becomes nationally recognized or not remains to be seen, but they are in the process of implementing their branding plan. I think they've done a nice job regionally and has some nationally recognition, thanks in part to the Fiesta Bowl. Add to that the massive Baby Boomeresque Alumni boost that will coming in a few years due to our massive enrollment and I think it's a brand that will carry some weight.

We also now that have a real nice, young AD who's jumped in feet first and made a lot of necessary changes after only 4 months on the job. In 3 years, he rebranded Buffalo which led to a jump of 137% in donations and endowments. With his expertise, I think he can take us further. In the few months he's been in charge, he implemented a Football Excellence Fund which has raised well over $1M in the first two months, cancelled negotiations with IMG and moved all our broadcasting and marketing in house and cleaned house with a lot of our athletic programs and staffs. In 2016, we'll have a new FB coaches, men and women's BB, men and women's tennis, men and women golf and expecting to cut lose our underachieving baseball coach once season ends. He's taking this Atheltics Association to new heights in a short time. Where all this money is coming from, I don't know. But it's obvious the commitment from the university is there.
I think that UCF is poised to do well. Of course with that sort of deal you have to be ready when the stars align. It all depends on being at the right place at the right time. It doesn't totally depend on just effort.

I think that Baylor is really a good example of that. I know that is a sore subject for you (me too) but they went all-in with their athletics and really did something with it. UCF has a broader base but not deeper. But still, you guys could do well. We had a chance to make some moves about 10 years back but our coach phoned it in right when things were getting good.

BTW the new unis look really sweet. I don't know if they line up with your tradition but they are pretty clean.

D

Deuce

I think that UCF is poised to do well. Of course with that sort of deal you have to be ready when the stars align. It all depends on being at the right place at the right time. It doesn't totally depend on just effort.

I think that Baylor is really a good example of that. I know that is a sore subject for you (me too) but they went all-in with their athletics and really did something with it. UCF has a broader base but not deeper. But still, you guys could do well. We had a chance to make some moves about 10 years back but our coach phoned it in right when things were getting good.

BTW the new unis look really sweet. I don't know if they line up with your tradition but they are pretty clean.
Ya, they are pretty sweet. Our tradition has always been pretty bland, mostly because GOL had a very business like approach and didn't want to be bothered by uni's. He didn't even allow names. Now Frost has changed everything.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Ya, they are pretty sweet. Our tradition has always been pretty bland, mostly because GOL had a very business like approach and didn't want to be bothered by uni's. He didn't even allow names. Now Frost has changed everything.
Do you expect Frost to install the Oregon offense that we are accustomed to seeing?

Last edited:
D

Deuce

Do you expect Frost to install the Oregon offense that we are accustomed to seeing?
That's the plan. We were pretty devoid of speed on offense last year and he recruited some high level speedsters to get the ball rolling, but how many freshman WR and RB can you count on at once. It'll take a year or two to get going.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You do realize that the BOR is the president's boss, right?

D

Deuce

You do realize that the BOR is the president's boss, right?
Yes, but he's still the man who makes the decision and I seriously doubt he's going to let them persuade him of voting against something when he was the only real proponent of it for so long.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Texas A&M: The Kardashians Of College Football
By Pete Fiutak
Thu, May 5th, 2:58 PM CDT

Texas A&M gets way too-much hype and attention, and while it looks drop-dead gorgeous at times, there’s been little substance behind all the exposure and press despite being bound by absolutely nothing. There’s an endless well of resources to draw from and a fan base that eats up absolutely everything it does.

Texas A&M is a Kardashian.

And now after looking so good and doing so many amazing, shiny, splashy things under head coach Kevin Sumlin, the wheels appear to be coming off in the recruiting world and the program is no longer the happening place to be.

But before dogging Sumlin too much for the recent slide and the problems keeping a quarterback around, when it comes to the “you are what your record is” world of football, what’s happening at A&M just isn’t that bad with 36 victories in his four years.

Georgia has just four more victories over the span with 40. LSU has 37, Ole Miss has 34, Florida 32, Tennessee 26 and Arkansas 22. The A&M expectations might be at a Texas-sized level, but the high-end results just aren’t, and that’s the problem.

The last Texas A&M national championship came in 1939. There was a tie for the Big 12 South title in 2010, but Oklahoma ended up representing the division in the championship game.

[RELATED: Kevin Sumlin Comments On Coach's Tweets]

The last conference title? The 1998 season, in a shocking upset over Kansas State for the Big 12 championship, and before that, the Aggies won the 1993 Southwest Conference championship.

But everything appeared to be changing under Sumlin with great recruiting class after great recruiting class, a fun, high-powered offense that everyone wanted to be a part of, and with the hope that this was going to be the new superpower.

Unfortunately, now A&M is blowing through five-star quarterbacks like Kim K used to go through famous husbands with Kenny Hill, Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray all trying to replace Johnny Manziel, and then leaving when they couldn’t come close. And now, with star 2017 prospect QB Tate Martell decommitting from the Aggies, Johnny Football turning into Johnny Mugshot, and with two straight 8-5 seasons, A&M is mired into its familiar role as Also Ran U.

Sumlin isn’t under any more pressure than just about any other SEC head coach. Unfortunately, this is the world of the SEC – not everyone can win the conference title, and at least ten fan bases come into every year expecting nothing less.

Remember, A&M had back-to-back losing seasons in 2008 and 2009 and couldn’t crack the Oklahoma-Texas world back in the Big 12 South days. But things are different now in the post-Manziel era. Aggie fans had a taste of potential greatness, and now they want it back.

So what’s it going to take for Sumlin to get his groove back? What does he need to do to stop all the negativity and all the problems? Winning would be nice, and this year’s team might be able to do that.

What’s the cure for all the quarterback flakiness of the last few seasons? Oklahoma transfer Trevor Knight, who might not be anything truly special, but he’s a veteran who’s been through the wars and won’t be fazed by all the drama. With one of the best receiving corps in the nation to work with, the offense should show some of the old firepower if the line can keep Knight in one piece.

If Manziel was the star of the A&M offense since the move over to the SEC, that’s what Myles Garrett will be for the defensive side with No. 1 overall draft pick potential, a great story, and the hype coming to be one of the must-watch guys every Saturday.

There’s the normal array of high-profile SEC showdowns to get excited about, and a huge opener against UCLA, but outside of a trip to Alabama, just about every big battle is at home or at a neutral site.

Will eight wins get it done to keep Sumlin around? Probably not. With all the problems and all the negativity, another mediocre year might mean it’s time to try something else.

Nine wins? Maybe, if there’s a massive win along the way and the losses aren’t that bad.

Ten wins not only keeps Sumlin around, but a big season like that might make him ready to take an even harder look at the NFL, or vice versa.

But this isn’t going to be an SEC West championship season unless everyone else in the division totally melts down. There won’t be a national title, and there won’t be a conference championship.

Texas A&M won’t win anything, again, but it’ll be dramatic, and it’ll be entertaining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom