Sherrington: Expecting Dak Prescott to make up for Jerry Jones mishandling Cowboys' QB situation is too much to ask

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yep. It is all kinds of awful with Romo back there. With Romo, it almost guarantees a pass, and the d-line can pin their ears back and meet at the QB. I think it has a huge impact on offensive line play, as well. They were born to grind meat (well, except maybe Tyron). Backpedaling play after play in those games where Romo throws 40 times puts our strongest unit in a reactionary, defensive posture. It cannot help but affect their mindset.

Committing to the run, watching the defensive lineman across from you get fatigued as the game wears on, firing out in run blocking even from a shotgun formation on a read option - that will affect mindset, too. Moreover, it affects future opponents. Watching film for a week and knowing that win or lose, you are in for three hours of physical pounding takes a mental toll, especially as it gets to be later in the season.

Let the strength of this team play to its strength.
Romo averaged about 29 attempts per game in 2014, we weren't throwing it around 40 times a game. I think the biggest adjustment that I've liked so far with Dak is that we're using much more play action, I have no earthly idea why we used play action so sparsely with Romo with our running game as good as it is.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Team's are going to be throwing the sink at the run game until Dak proves he can beat them.
He's already shown he can take advantage of 1 on 1 situations with Dez, then you have the Butler bomb and the deep ball he popped off against Seattle's starting D that Williams dropped.

Sure, as a rookie he'll definitely be tricked by blitzes/coverages at times but if teams are going to just sit 8, even 9 in the box to stop the run I'm pretty confident Dak can make them pay deep with Dez on the outside.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's already shown he can take advantage of 1 on 1 situations with Dez, then you have the Butler bomb and the deep ball he popped off against Seattle's starting D that Williams dropped.

Sure, as a rookie he'll definitely be tricked by blitzes/coverages at times but if teams are going to just sit 8, even 9 in the box to stop the run I'm pretty confident Dak can make them pay deep with Dez on the outside.
If teams don't continue to respect Dez they will be in trouble. Dak has already shown he has no fear to throw the ball to a covered Dez knowing he will make a play.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If teams don't continue to respect Dez they will be in trouble. Dak has already shown he has no fear to throw the ball to a covered Dez knowing he will make a play.
And, that is huge. Having that trust in your WR1 is invaluable and incredible for a rookie to have so early on.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, I mean in a way the game plan hasn't changed at all.

In 2014 at Philly Romo ate them up with 3 TD's to Dez when they were basically just playing with 8 in the box, 1 deep safety and CB's in press. It's the same now, if teams don't dedicate 8 to the run, we run it up their ass, if they drop 8 or 9 into the box, Prescott just has to give Dez the chance to make plays. If they double Dez you have 1 on 1 matchups all over the place.

The fact that Dak is a running threat that must be accounted for is just another dimension that will make our offense more difficult to stop.

My main concern is can Dak convert 3rd and 6 against a defense that's throwing out all sorts of junk blitzes and coverages that he's never seen? I think for the most part the offense will be fine, lean on the running game, mix in some read option, some screens and play action, then pop a few deep shots a game to Dez, Williams and Butler. The problem will be in those critical 3rd and mediums/long where Dak has to sit in the pocket, read the coverage/blitz, go through progressions and make a stick throw.

He did it a few times against Seattle's defense, so that was encouraging, but we all know the regular season is a different level.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Romo averaged about 29 attempts per game in 2014, we weren't throwing it around 40 times a game. I think the biggest adjustment that I've liked so far with Dak is that we're using much more play action, I have no earthly idea why we used play action so sparsely with Romo with our running game as good as it is.
Story is Romo doesn't like to turn his back to the D, feels he's better off looking and reading what they're doing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Story is Romo doesn't like to turn his back to the D, feels he's better off looking and reading what they're doing.
Well that's a real fucking hindrance when play action is one of the biggest weapons you have when you have a strong running game.

dallen

Senior Tech
If Dak continues looking great in the regular seasons will that effect Romo's legacy?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If Dak continues looking great in the regular seasons will that effect Romo's legacy?
Probably not. I think his legacy is pretty well defined already. He is a great quarterback that couldn't stay on the field enough due to injuries.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Maximum boner achieved.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Between Bryant and Witten's praise, if he crashes and burns they are going to look pretty stupid.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Probably not. I think his legacy is pretty well defined already. He is a great quarterback that couldn't stay on the field enough due to injuries.
That pretty much sums it up. He played bigger than what he was and after a while it finally caught up to him.

At this point he needs to just walk away (while he still can) and enjoy his family.

I'd love for him to take over as the QB coach. He's smart as hell and I think he could teach Dak a hell of a lot.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Ouch.

That wasn't really the issue last year though. It was more like we would keep games close for the first 2 or 3 quarters but then the defense would wear out because our offense is doing nothing. As long as we can grind things out this year it shouldn't be a peoblem.
Yeah but this years defense isn't going to be as good as last years, Gregory is gone for who knows how long and Lawrence won't start getting pressure till the end of the season like the last two years or not at all since he will get a late start because of suspension.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah but this years defense isn't going to be as good as last years, Gregory is gone for who knows how long and Lawrence won't start getting pressure till the end of the season like the last two years or not at all since he will get a late start because of suspension.
Scandrick, Byron Jones starting, healthy Crawford, NT not named Hayden. All of that gives me plenty of reason to believe we will be better. Lawrence will only miss 4 games.

Top Bottom