Jerry Jones: Cowboys can wait on signing veteran QB

p1_

DCC 4Life
Jerry Jones: Cowboys can wait on signing veteran QB

By Conor Orr
Around The NFL Writer
Published: Aug. 8, 2016 at 08:57 a.m.
Updated: Aug. 8, 2016 at 09:08 a.m.

Could the Dallas Cowboys be waiting out the quarterback market after all?

That's the sentiment we're getting from owner Jerry Jones, who was encouraged by the work he's seen by both Dak Prescott and Jameill Showers of late. The team lost primary backup Kellen Moore last week to a broken ankle.

"I'm really more encouraged after this about holding our pat hand on a veteran quarterback than before," Jones said, via ESPN.com. "If we continue to see this kind of improvement and see this kind of instinctive (play) and really look very comfortable, if we can see this that will give us some running room out there."

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport previously reported the team was looking at Browns quarterback Josh McCown after the Chiefs signed Nick Foles.

As we noted in a piece about Dallas' backup search last week, it might make sense for Dallas to wait a few weeks to see which quarterbacks shake loose during roster cut downs. In the meantime, both Showers and Prescott can get more reps, an invaluable gift for a rookie and second-year player just trying to hang on and learn the game.

This might be the best option, seeing as Dallas would like to hold on to their draft picks and that a few quality backups could emerge on the market over the coming days and weeks. While trading premium picks for the likes of Mike Glennon would leave Dallas with one of the better backup options in the NFL, how much better would Glennon be than a replacement-level backup? Could the Cowboys reasonably expect to make a playoff push if Tony Romo got injured anyway?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There's no point now.

Just develop Prescott and be done with it.

It's why he was chosen.

p1_

DCC 4Life
There's no point now.

Just develop Prescott and be done with it.

It's why he was chosen.
But I don't think you want to throw Prescott in this season, do you?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
But I don't think you want to throw Prescott in this season, do you?

What is the alternative? I don't think anyone who would be available now would make much of a dent in our win total. Might as well give Prescott the experience, and especially the second team reps.

And as a bonus, there are very few situations that would be more accommodating for a rookie - elite, reliable OL, elite (yes, elite Bipo) reliable WR, elite reliable TE and likely a strong running game.

If you were ever inclined to throw a very raw rookie into the fire this would be the situation you'd want personnel-wise.

I'd try to limit him to 10 or 15 passes and run 40 times a game.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Been saying all along.

Rely on the running game and use the pistol offense with occasional runs from Prescott.

It's as good a chance to win as you're going to get from any veteran backup, Foles included.

And you also develop Prescott on the slim chance that he's a legit NFL QB and not just a career backup. Even if he's destined to be a journeyman, the reps can only help.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Been saying all along.

Rely on the running game and use the pistol offense with occasional runs from Prescott.

It's as good a chance to win as you're going to get from any veteran backup, Foles included.

And you also develop Prescott on the slim chance that he's a legit NFL QB and not just a career backup. Even if he's destined to be a journeyman, the reps can only help.
I agree with this if for no other reason than running back is one of the positions Dallas has pretty solid depth at. There is no other real strategy for offense if Romo goes down.

Top Bottom