2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I have black friends?:lol

So in your mind that extrapolates to a large number of black people.

Do you not realize how much of a leap in logic that is?

And why did this not transfer to other black candidates?
Exactly. Besides which, Fortsbest said "most" blacks, which brings it to the level of ridiculousness.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

:lol
Unreal. :lol

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Fill me in. The man isn't stupid or incompetent. He didn't get where he is by being a dufas. Again fill me in.
He hasn't held any kind of public office. Not even dog catcher. So unless he has some amazing model on how to run the government like a private company, yeah, he is not exactly competent.

D

Deuce

I have black friends who have told me they only voted for him because he was black.

But whatever. Doesn't matter now.
So have I. I remember one guy who was easily the most conservative person I've ever met explaining in 2008 that he was voting for Obama because "it's just time." No other reason and he honestly didn't agree with most of his platform, most of which he did agree with in regards to McCain.

Now, how many actually voted for him for that reason? I have no idea. But there were some.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I never said he was stupid.

Never in the history of this country has there been a president who has never either served public office or the military. Until Trump.

So YOU tell me. Where is his competency?
The question isn't that I should prove his competency. I have given you my reasons. The fact that he hasn't served in public office or the military doesn't speak to competency rather experience. Obama never served in the Military and was not in a public office except for working in an Urban project in Chicago. I am sure I could find other examples but why belabor the point? The test for competency isn't experience it is the ability to do.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He hasn't held any kind of public office. Not even dog catcher. So unless he has some amazing model on how to run the government like a private company, yeah, he is not exactly competent.
The definition for competency isn't experience it is the ability to do. No one has been President until the become president. It's an executive job. Holding public office is no more of a conditioner for the office than anything else. Being a public office holder or being a politician isn't a conditioner to being a Chief Executive.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So have I. I remember one guy who was easily the most conservative person I've ever met explaining in 2008 that he was voting for Obama because "it's just time." No other reason and he honestly didn't agree with most of his platform, most of which he did agree with in regards to McCain.

Now, how many actually voted for him for that reason? I have no idea. But there were some.
Yup, that's about the same reason I was given too.

It's strictly an assumption, but I would guess there were more blacks who voted "just cause" in 2008 than those who voted for that reason in 2012.

It would be interesting to see what the numbers are on this if they're even out there.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The question isn't that I should prove his competency. I have given you my reasons. The fact that he hasn't served in public office or the military doesn't speak to competency rather experience. Obama never served in the Military and was not in a public office except for working in an Urban project in Chicago. I am sure I could find other examples but why belabor the point? The test for competency isn't experience it is the ability to do.
Maybe I should couch Obama's public office history. He served as a state Senator for a short stint and US Senator for 1 term part of which he started he Presidental campaign.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So Mark Cuban can run next? That should be fun. How about Jerry Jones?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:towel

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That sounds good and all but could you kindly tell me when in history has white America ever willingly treated everyone equally without the aid of protest and civil disobedience?

I noticed that people love to complain about how Kaepernick, protests like Ferguson, and the BLM movement should take a page from MLK's book and protest peacefully. But here's the problem with that. People forget that things really didn't start turning for MLK and the civil rights movement until they finally got some camera's and media coverage on southerners and started showing the world how blacks were being treated down south. Until that happened it was pretty much nothing but empty promises and marginal progress.

So to me when I hear someone say Kaepernick, BLM, etc. should be like MLK and find another way to protest or "not act out" as you suggest, that's pretty much code for "go protest quietly so I can continue to ignore your issues". Which is why I have no problem with people amplifying real issues that are impacting their communities.

You're offended and uncomfortable by their actions? Boo hoo. That's the entire point of a protest. To make one side uncomfortable and hopefully force them to eventually come to the table to negotiate some actual change.
I think you are a perfect example. When you come out and make a statement on the issue I'm listening. That is because a) I respect you greatly b) I don't know what it is like to be black.

I respect you because you have proven over a period of time that you are a reasonable and equal partner in this world that has a goal to see it be better towards all. Hat message hasn't been conveyed well with groups like BLM IMO. There is a lot of nasty, hateful things that have been said so I'm turned off by that. Average cracker isn't going to listen to threats of assault. It is not fair to the black community because they've experienced a lot of that themselves.

I disagree. With anyone who says that black folks need to just shut up and go away. That's not a solution either. So I'm with you, let's work on the problem together (figuratively) and eat some positive traction. I'm ok with loud.

Now allow me to Hos a little - when I was a poor kid from a messed up family I was walked out of a creative writing class and told that kids like me don't belong in an elective like that. It is for the kids that have things going for them. I was a good kid at one time that made good grades. The teacher walked me down to the counselor and demanded I switch classes. I'll never forget that. That's a lot of the reason that I go to bat for kids that I coach and are labeled bad kids. I hate seeing kids limited because of class or race. Now, I only experienced a tiny bit of that and have no idea what things are like for those who experience it often.

Discrimination will never go away. Oppression willl never go away. Ever. However someone decides to respond to that crap determines the outcome of their life. Some are called to be the ones to bare the burden of making change.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think you are a perfect example. When you come out and make a statement on the issue I'm listening. That is because a) I respect you greatly b) I don't know what it is like to be black.

I respect you because you have proven over a period of time that you are a reasonable and equal partner in this world that has a goal to see it be better towards all. Hat message hasn't been conveyed well with groups like BLM IMO. There is a lot of nasty, hateful things that have been said so I'm turned off by that. Average cracker isn't going to listen to threats of assault. It is not fair to the black community because they've experienced a lot of that themselves.

I disagree. With anyone who says that black folks need to just shut up and go away. That's not a solution either. So I'm with you, let's work on the problem together (figuratively) and eat some positive traction. I'm ok with loud.

Now allow me to Hos a little - when I was a poor kid from a messed up family I was walked out of a creative writing class and told that kids like me don't belong in an elective like that. It is for the kids that have things going for them. I was a good kid at one time that made good grades. The teacher walked me down to the counselor and demanded I switch classes. I'll never forget that. That's a lot of the reason that I go to bat for kids that I coach and are labeled bad kids. I hate seeing kids limited because of class or race. Now, I only experienced a tiny bit of that and have no idea what things are like for those who experience it often.

Discrimination will never go away. Oppression willl never go away. Ever. However someone decides to respond to that crap determines the outcome of their life. Some are called to be the ones to bare the burden of making change.
Well said. I agree with every bit of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom