Jerry Jones: I’ve tried to get cute at the quarterback spot

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Jerry Jones: I’ve tried to get cute at the quarterback spot[/h] Posted by Michael David Smith on November 21, 2015, 11:09 AM EST

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones loves what Cowboys General Manager Jerry Jones has done when it comes to signing Tony Romo as the franchise quarterback. But owner Jones gives G.M. Jones poor marks for his handling of the backup quarterback position.

Jones said on 105.3 The Fan that he has made some mistakes at the quarterback position. Those mistakes include spending a second-round draft pick (which Jones misremembered as a third-round draft pick) on Quincy Carter in 2001, and signing Brandon Weeden to be Romo’s backup for the last two years.
“I’ve tried to get cute — and I don’t mind saying tried to be cute — at the quarterback spot. I tried to get us what I thought was the equivalent of a Romo with Quincy Carter in the third round,” Jones said. “We tried to get one that was drafted high, obviously in somebody’s eyes had high potential, in this case Mike Holmgren thought Weeden was certainly a first-round pick and he had a lot of credentials coming out of Oklahoma State.”

Jones says that in hindsight, he wishes he had traded for Matt Cassel at the beginning of the offseason this year, rather than waiting to do it after Romo got hurt in Week Two. Jones believes that if the Cowboys had Cassel instead of Weeden as their backup going into this season, they wouldn’t have lost seven straight games without Romo.

“There’s no doubt that Cassel could have had better games earlier for us, for sure, had he been through training camp and had he been through OTAs out here in the spring. Weeden had gotten a lot of snaps a year before when Romo was down,” Jones said. “If I had that to do all over again I might go harder there.”
Jones added that he thinks it’s unrealistic that the Cowboys will ever have a backup quarterback who’s so good that they could lose Romo without missing a beat. At the same time, however, Jones said what he’d really love is to be in a situation like the 49ers were in when they went from Joe Montana to Steve Young at quarterback.

So if there’s a young quarterback out there whom Jones thinks could be the next Steve Young, don’t be surprised if Jones gets cute again.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Until you actually are proactive about the position and prove that you realize just how important it is just STFU.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Until you actually are proactive about the position and prove that you realize just how important it is just STFU.
I have a feeling we finally draft one this upcoming April.

Probably won't be the right one.

Or he pulls a moronic move like signing Griffin.

~shudders~

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Or he pulls a moronic move like signing Griffin.

~shudders~
It's fucking inevitable. This is Jerry Jones. He'll be tickled pink to have two players from the top six of the 2012 draft on his roster.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's fucking inevitable. This is Jerry Jones. He'll be tickled pink to have two players from the top six of the 2012 draft on his roster.
Stop it. You are scaring me.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
All of the acknowledgments of his screw ups mean nothing to me because there's nothing in place to hold him accountable for his "cute"/dumb decisions.

He could burn our top 3 picks in this upcoming draft on punters and guess what........he'll get to keep his job as the "ultimate decision maker" because he doesn't have to answer to anyone.

cml750

Not So New Member
All of the acknowledgments of his screw ups mean nothing to me because there's nothing in place to hold him accountable for his "cute"/dumb decisions.

He could burn our top 3 picks in this upcoming draft on punters and guess what........he'll get to keep his job as the "ultimate decision maker" because he doesn't have to answer to anyone.
The only thing e can do as fans is quit buying anything Cowboys related. Try to hit Jerry in the pocketbook. It is the only language he speaks fluently.

townsend

Banned
The only thing e can do as fans is quit buying anything Cowboys related. Try to hit Jerry in the pocketbook. It is the only language he speaks fluently.
In 20 years of mediocrity the value of the Cowboys has blown up to 4 Billion Dollars. The fact that we all watch the games and love the team in spite of the inept management (and this is by far one of the most cynical groups of Cowboys fans) proves Jerry will see the Cowboys be as valuable as they ever were until the day he dies.

That really has to be the motivator. He doesn't have that many more seasons to waste. How loyal can he be to Garrett and staff when this may be the last Window Jerry gets to see shut?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Welcome to the board. I feel like I'm seeing 5 years in the past.

data

Forbes #1
If jerruh treated the QB position with as much seriousness as his stadium, he wouldn't be apologizing for being cute. .

townsend

Banned
The closest he's ever been to serious when addressing the position was signing Drew Bledsoe. Romo was a fucking God send that no one could have seen coming, hanging on the edge of the roster behind a bunch of other "cute" projects. Jimmy spent 2 more 1st round picks on QBs in his 5 years than Jerry spent in the following 23.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That Montana/Young comment at the end has to give you some confidence that we aren't going to dick around with Quincy Carter and a bunch of MLB washouts when it comes time to replace Romo. I have no clue whether or not we will actually identify the right guy (see Jerry's insistence that Manziel would've guaranteed relevance for 10 years), but I do think that we will spend a 1st on a QB very soon after Romo is done, and perhaps even while he is still here. I also think the fact that there is a rookie scale increases the chance that we are willing to continue taking chances high in the draft if the first time busts.

I actually think that we will take Goff or Lynch if they are available when we pick, assuming there isn't a clear BPA at another position that is of great need, such as DT or LB.

data

Forbes #1
How are you an NFL GM for 25 years and just realize this?

data

Forbes #1
I don't like the fact Jones said, if he could do it all over again, he'd trade for Cassel earlier...ummm, how about draft QBs over the last few years?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't like the fact Jones said, if he could do it all over again, he'd trade for Cassel earlier...ummm, how about draft QBs over the last few years?
Or sign Cassel when he was a free agent after the Bills cut him for free...

But it's like he thinks Cassel was the best he could do. Truly sad.

Top Bottom