MLB Chatter Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
[MENTION=41]Genghis Khan[/MENTION]

Jake Thompson has flashed it with success in each of his five starts with double-A Reading. The 21-year-old has a 1.97 ERA in 32 innings.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/minor_leagues/20150829_Phillies_prospect_Jake_Thompson_impresses _in_Reading.html#xJIKyqphtYxBG87f.99

Jerad Eickhoff retired 16 Mets in a row Wednesday night at Citizens Bank Park.

But because of what happened before and after that stellar stretch, it couldn’t be the measure of the rookie’s performance in his second start for the Phillies. The jitters manifested themselves in a 40-pitch first inning and an early 3-0 deficit. Eickhoff only gave up a couple hard-hit balls in the inning, but one of them was dropped at the wall, and another drove home a run. Nine men came to the plate in the first inning, but Eickhoff retired the last two. He then collected himself some more, got his pitches down in the zone, and set down the next 14 in a row before giving up a double and a single in the sixth inning to fall behind, 4-0.

The Phillies hadn’t had a rookie starter retire 16 straight batters since Mike Grace set down 17 Braves in a row on May 12, 1996.

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-ph...s-more-promise

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
:towel Loving that trade. Williams just went on the DL but he was tearing it up too. And I think I saw Asher was pitching well and they just called him up to pitch tomorrow.

True win-win trade.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And that's not even counting the catcher whose name is escaping me off the top of my head right now.

Edit: Alfaro.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
[MENTION=10]Carp[/MENTION] - at the Round Rock- Las Vegas game and was wondering about Lugo. Is he the next pitcher up? It's early but he is dominating right now. Doesn't have very many decisions so I assume he was moved up recently.
I am always skeptical of pitchers who don't get to AAA until age 25. He is decent, but not a high level guy. We have Molina, Ynoa, Gsellman, Taylor, and Montero as well. Our best pitching prospect that was not up with the big club was Fulmer, but he got dealt for Cespedes.

Rev

Staff member
I am always skeptical of pitchers who don't get to AAA until age 25. He is decent, but not a high level guy. We have Molina, Ynoa, Gsellman, Taylor, and Montero as well. Our best pitching prospect that was not up with the big club was Fulmer, but he got dealt for Cespedes.
I hear ya about the age thing. Didn't know anything about him and it must have just been a case of having a good game that night.

There was a reliever (last name of Black) that was hitting 97/98 and shutdown the offense. Alex Torres came in with the concussion hat. I know that helps but it does look funny.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I hear ya about the age thing. Didn't know anything about him and it must have just been a case of having a good game that night.

There was a reliever (last name of Black) that was hitting 97/98 and shutdown the offense. Alex Torres came in with the concussion hat. I know that helps but it does look funny.
We got Black for Ike Davis I think. Torres was a big letdown...was hoping he'd be an important lefty out of the pen.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Couple Mets things...bare with me, I don’t know how to handle their success.

I think going out and adding Cespedes, Johnson, and Uribe really helped Conforto. When he came up the onus was on his to recharge the offense, but with those additions the spotlight was off of him.

It is crazy, but the Mets are tied with the Jays for the most runs since the AS break.

Carp

DCC 4Life
My last humble brag...Mets averaged 2.5 runs per game prior to the trade deadline...6 per game since the deadline.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Jake Arrieta no hitting the LAD last night was great to see. He has been unbelievable all season. The past two seasons really. :lol at the Orioles for giving up on him and trading him and Pedro Strop (who has been very good as the 8th inning setup man) for half a season of Scott Feldman. :laff

There has been a lot of discussion over the past several weeks on who would start for the Cubs in the one game playoff if they claim that second wildcard spot. Jon Lester seems like the obvious choice with all his postseason experience, "leader of the pitching staff" status/contract, etc. No effing way. Has to be Arrieta. He is flat out better than Lester, plus Lester has that real mental issue of not being able to throw over to first to hold baserunners. It was cool that Arrieta had this kind of performance on a national platform because I don't know if most casual baseball fans realize how good this guy is/has been.

D

Deuce

Jake Arrieta no hitting the LAD last night was great to see. He has been unbelievable all season. The past two seasons really. :lol at the Orioles for giving up on him and trading him and Pedro Strop (who has been very good as the 8th inning setup man) for half a season of Scott Feldman. :laff

There has been a lot of discussion over the past several weeks on who would start for the Cubs in the one game playoff if they claim that second wildcard spot. Jon Lester seems like the obvious choice with all his postseason experience, "leader of the pitching staff" status/contract, etc. No effing way. Has to be Arrieta. He is flat out better than Lester, plus Lester has that real mental issue of not being able to throw over to first to hold baserunners. It was cool that Arrieta had this kind of performance on a national platform because I don't know if most casual baseball fans realize how good this guy is/has been.
It was cool to watch, props to him. He never reached his potential in Baltimore and I'm surely glad they dumped him when they did.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Carp

DCC 4Life
Andrus was a terrible human and player a couple months ago.

Rev

Staff member
I've badmouthed both Choo and Andrus in this thread. Both are playing extremely well since. Even still stealing home plate doesn't happen very often and was a great play.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
In other news, Gallo has been brought back up

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
In other news, Gallo has been brought back up
Who?

By Joey Nowak / MLB.com | 5:34 PM ET

Twins third baseman/designated hitter Miguel Sano has been named the American League Rookie of the Month after leading all AL rookies in runs, home runs, RBIs and walks in August.
He hit .278 (27-for-97) with 18 runs scored, seven doubles, nine home runs and 26 RBIs over 27 games in the month. It is his first career monthly award, and he's the first Twins player to win AL Rookie of the Month since outfielder Ben Revere in June 2011.

Sano had the first multihomer game of his career on Aug. 12 against the Rangers, when he went 3-for-3 with two runs, two home runs and six RBIs. The six-RBI performance tied a Twins single-game rookie record (Tony Oliva in 1964 and Oswaldo Arcia in 2013).

He also homered in six of his final 12 games of the month, recording back-to-back homer games from Aug. 17-18 and Aug. 23-25.

Over the past 10 games, Sano has hit .333 (13-for-39) with five home runs and 12 RBIs.

The Dominican Republic native leads AL rookies this year in on-base percentage (.403) and slugging percentage (.608). The only other right-handed hitters with higher slugging percentages during their age-22 season are Hall of Famers Joe DiMaggio (.673 in 1937) and Jimmie Foxx (.637 in '30).

Rev

Staff member
Only 2 games back......

Top Bottom