Archer: In order to avoid replay, Dez Bryant to adjust how -- or if -- he goes to ground

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In order to avoid replay, Dez Bryant to adjust how -- or if -- he goes to ground
4:30 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Dez Bryant is tired of waiting on replay.

In the Dallas Cowboys’ season opener to the New York Giants, Bryant had a 24-yard touchdown catch overturned by replay after the ball came loose as he went to the ground. In the preseason opener against the Los Angeles Rams, Bryant’s 10-yard touchdown catch stood after replay review, but some wondered if it should have remained a catch.

And then, of course, there is the 2014 divisional round playoff game at the Green Bay Packers when a fourth-down catch was overturned late in the fourth quarter on a drive that could have put the Cowboys in position to advance to the NFC Championship Game.

In an effort to combat the issue, Bryant said he will work on his body position as he goes to the ground.

In the overturned catch against the Giants, Bryant said he shouldn't have fallen to the ground.

“Those are things you look at on film and try to see where I could just stand there and place my hands this way or this way or place my body this way or this way,” Bryant said. “Just little bitty small adjustments that I can make. It’s really not that hard.”

But catching a ball is a natural act. Does he have time to think of those things in the middle of a play?

“I feel like the game is slower, if you ask me,” Bryant said. “I feel like I can position myself in any kind of way if I needed to.”

With all scoring plays reviewed, coach Jason Garrett wants to see Bryant do a better job securing the ball.

“I think you have to give the finish that much more attention,” Garrett said. “The way catches are being officiated, any sort of ball movement at the end of the catch they are going to overturn it. You have to be fully aware of that. He does make athletic plays over his head with people hanging all over him. But after he makes that catch, he has to make sure he doesn’t allow that ball to move at the end of the catch.”

Top Bottom