Cowboys sign OT La'el Collins

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Just thought your sentence was funny. I know its left tackles that get voted in but you worded it in a way that I took it as the Pro Bowl rarely plays a Right Tackle on the line I.e. they only play 4 of the positions....
I wasn't sure if it was that or if you were saying they vote a RT in once out of every 3 years on average. Last one I remember is Jon Stinchcomb in 2009.

hstour

Brand New Member
He can't make LT money at all for the next 3 years. My understanding is there is a max you can use on an UDFA. Unless you meant after he has played out his rookie contract.
He still falls under the rookie salary pool. I think I saw somewhere tops would be $1.53M over 3 years.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Jerry can break out all the salesman tricks in the books, but he doesn't have what this guy wants, which is a chance to play LT.

I predict we'll wring our hands over this for a week before he signs elsewhere.

But someone check with Hostile for our chances.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He can't make LT money at all for the next 3 years. My understanding is there is a max you can use on an UDFA. Unless you meant after he has played out his rookie contract.
Yeah I think what Ravi is saying is that he will want to prove himself at LT during his first 4 years so that when he becomes an UFA he will be able to sign a mega contract. Here in Dallas he will never pass up Tyron Smith. It's is totally possible the guy thinks like this. I don't think most football players have that mentality though. Plus I think through the draft process most teams looking to draft Collins probably told him they'd start him out at guard or RT anyway.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
WTF is this guy?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even that fourth year he'd be a RFA. He isn't going to get LT money. He will get first round tender money and that's probably it.

By the way I really like Leary at LG. I think he was a beast at times last year. With his knee and him being a free agent next year though I'm all for Collins. Besides I think Collins could be better then Free at RT. He is definitely a better run blocker (Can we stop bitching about the running game if we sign another elite level run blocker?)

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Plus I think through the draft process most teams looking to draft Collins probably told him they'd start him out at guard or RT anyway.
Yeah, the scouting reports I've seen on him say he projects to guard or RT in the NFL.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Jerry can break out all the salesman tricks in the books, but he doesn't have what this guy wants, which is a chance to play LT.

I predict we'll wring our hands over this for a week before he signs elsewhere.

But someone check with Hostile for our chances.
Who is going to offer him that, though? If someone says, 'sign with us and we'll start you at RT in the preseason, it's your job to lose' I'm sure he would want to sign with them, but I don't think anyone scouts him that way, at least none of the draft guides do.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Yeah, the scouting reports I've seen on him say he projects to guard or RT in the NFL.
I'll take him as a future RT. As nasty and mean as he plays, he's the ideal RT.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Agreed. While Free has exceeded expectations, it would be nice to have a mauler there at RT.
Plus, we'd have four young, first round or first round caliber picks on that line. We'd be in great shape for a long, long time.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Unless you meant after he has played out his rookie contract.
Not just this, but he can't even market himself as a LT free agent in three years.

LT is occupied in Dallas, now and for the foreseeable future.

At least he has a shot at the position elsewhere.

Anywhere he goes today will be same money and same terms, so he has to bank everything on his next contract.

By signing with Dallas today, he's automatically costing himself a shot at more guaranteed millions in a few years.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

HellsMF'nAyuh! :towel

p1_

DCC 4Life
someone will bitch. Just wait for it.....

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

:mj

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

HellsMF'nAyuh! :towel
Seriously? Wow. That is one hell of a score. Crazy circumstances landed a 1st rounder into the Cowboys lap a week after the draft? Huge. Let's hope that source is correct and that everything goes through.

p1_

DCC 4Life
But we have no running back, God damnit!

Top Bottom