Sabin: Why Cowboys are willing to invest resources in quarterbacks, just not draft...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The problem is there isn't a QB worth a high first every year in the draft. That's part of the reason you see such a high bust rate on first round QBs. Teams feel like they have to take one in the first when they have this giant need at the position and they end up taking a guy who isn't worth the pick. If an Andrew Luck is there, perfect, but how many times will you be instead looking at Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert or Mark Sanchez. I'd rather take a QB I like when the occasion arises, instead of being forced to pick through trash to find one in a panic.
Agree. This is a position that you either win the jackpot or spend all your time pulling the handle.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The thing about the million to one shots is that you actually have to give yourself a chance. We don't. GSM
I believe Dallas needs to draft a QB in the first three rounds or not bother. Romo is 34, and a four year for a new player contract fits that perfectly. Taking one after round 3 is such a longshot it's almost a wasted pick. Better to get guys in those rounds who can make your team elsewhere.

Actually no, Mallet was a third rounder.
You're right. Don't know why the 5th round stuck in my head. So I don't know of a good case study of a 4th rounder or later under the new CBA.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The problem is there isn't a QB worth a high first every year in the draft. That's part of the reason you see such a high bust rate on first round QBs. Teams feel like they have to take one in the first when they have this giant need at the position and they end up taking a guy who isn't worth the pick. If an Andrew Luck is there, perfect, but how many times will you be instead looking at Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert or Mark Sanchez. I'd rather take a QB I like when the occasion arises, instead of being forced to pick through trash to find one in a panic.
Forcing a pick isn't my idea of a good plan, IMO it's just what Jerry will do.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Clearly we do not have our longterm answer at QB...why people are arguing against at least trying to address the position is baffling.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Clearly we do not have our longterm answer at QB...why people are arguing against at least trying to address the position is baffling.
Uhh, Brandon Weeden? Duh?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think addressing the position is a good idea if the value is there. Having a young QB you can turn to as a starter if Romo's back problems turn out to be chronic could save us from forcing a pick in 2015 or 2016.

Wilson, Foles, and Glennon have come out of the 3rd in the last couple of years. Kaepernick and Dalton in the second. Jury is still out on Osweiler and Mallett. They may turn into players after they get out from behind Hall of Fame starters.

Would be nice to have a guy like that getting ready to go as Romo falls apart.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Releasing Ware signaled to me that there are no sacred cows, so Romo may not be long for this team. I want more options than just having to force a pick on a QB down the road.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Releasing Ware signaled to me that there are no sacred cows, so Romo may not be long for this team. I want more options than just having to force a pick on a QB down the road.
I think Jones will give Romo far more leeway than he gave Ware. That's his prize sacred cow. He's going to try to milk everything he can out of that stupid contract he gave him.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Who do you like in this draft that we would have a shot at?

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think Jones will give Romo far more leeway than he gave Ware. That's his prize sacred cow. He's going to try to milk everything he can out of that stupid contract he gave him.
Ware was equal to me in terms of sacred cowness...remember he was the pick that he overruled Parcells on. That was "his" guy.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Who do you like in this draft that we would have a shot at?
Manziel is my clear #1. Not as high on Mettenberger as most. Brett Smith is interesting to me. I'd take Carr in the 2nd without thinking.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Gotta address the position. Can't wait to do or die time with the QB position again. We saw how that worked out already.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Manziel is my clear #1. Not as high on Mettenberger as most. Brett Smith is interesting to me. I'd take Carr in the 2nd without thinking.
I would take Manziel in an instant but I think there's no way he makes it out of the top 10.

Really not a fan of Carr. He might turn out to be a guy like Rodgers who transcends being a system QB, but it's really hard to judge with passers like him. If we trade down out of the first and he's there in the second, sure.

Savage from Pitt is interesting.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I haven't heard anyone argue against obtaining a QB only what approach to take in the draft.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I haven't heard anyone argue against obtaining a QB only what approach to take in the draft.
Sure there is...how much data do I need to be force fed or saying we should not force a QB pick.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Interestingly, if we had traded up for and developed a franchise QB when Romo was in his early 30s, we could have traded Romo and be handing the keys over to a 26 year old starter right now.

No foresight from this organization. Romo at 30 was an untouchable. Can't have him pressured for his starting job! Can't bring in legit competition! Now look where we are.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Who then is saying no need for a QB?
You for one. Of course you hedge your bets by saying you don't agree with it, but you think we are going to roll with Romo, Orton, and Weeden. I guess we'll wait and see.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You for one. Of course you hedge your bets by saying you don't agree with it, but you think we are going to roll with Romo, Orton, and Weeden. I guess we'll wait and see.
Carp you are full of shit. I said it looks like Jones has aligned the roster to not take a QB and I didn't agree with that.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Carp you are full of shit. I said it looks like Jones has aligned the roster to not take a QB and I didn't agree with that.
:lol

I respect you LT. Please continue saying a lot without saying anything at all.

Top Bottom