Prospects Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2014

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't think there is much chance of that happening.
Probably not, but my original post was about this moron saying he would take Jernigan over Donald. Just no.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zack Martin might be the safest bet if we were to stay put at 16.
Zack Martin is a safe pick, I just don't think the ceiling is particularly high with him either. He is another tweener type who will probably start in the NFL for a long time somewhere on the line but no one will ever view as special at his position.

Cotton

Staff member
Zack Martin is a safe pick, I just don't think the ceiling is particularly high with him either. He is another tweener type who will probably start in the NFL for a long time somewhere on the line but no one will ever view as special at his position.
I'll take it.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Any chance Jake Matthews drops? I feel like he's the one guy you don't hear much about lately

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think Martin can be a Zeitler-level OG with the added bonus of kicking out to RT, or perhaps even LT in case of injury. He won't be "special" in that he'll be a HOF'er or something, but I think he will make a couple of Pro Bowls.

Cotton

Staff member
I think Martin can be a Zeitler-level OG with the added bonus of kicking out to RT, or perhaps even LT in case of injury. He won't be "special" in that he'll be a HOF'er or something, but I think he will make a couple of Pro Bowls.
I'd take him at 16 in a heartbeat and not look back.

D

Deuce

And Zeitler was widely considered a 2nd round prospect until the Bengals grabbed him at 27. A good spot for a nice but not elite guard. 16 is for an elite player.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If Lewan or Manziel is not there I'd prefer defense be addressed. Surely Donald, Jernigan, or Clinton-Dix should be there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I disagree. Zeitler was known for his ability as a run blocker. I don't think Martin has that type of power, which is why I don't think he will be anything special as a guard.

Cotton

Staff member
I disagree. Zeitler was known for his ability as a run blocker. I don't think Martin has that type of power, which is why I don't think he will be anything special as a guard.
STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Very good at keeping his feet underneath him while keeping his butt low to handle both speed and power. He does play with good quickness (but not explosiveness) off the snap, showing knee bend and core strength to anchor, as well as the lateral agility to mirror more athletic defenders.
He also shows better athleticism than you might think when blocking on the move, demonstrating above average straight-line speed to get to the second level, as well as the nastiness to bury his target into the ground.

WEAKNESSES: With less than ideal length and lateral range, Martin's NFL future may lie inside at guard, where he never played in college. The move to guard is necessary because Martin does not possess great height, arm length or foot speed. He chucks his way back (rather than sliding) for an effective if not aesthetically-pleasing form of pass protection.

COMPARIES TO: Logan Mankins, OG, New England Patriots - Mankins has been one of the NFL's most valuable offensive linemen since being selected by New England in the first round of the 2005 draft, and has anchored the Patriots' front line with top-notch instincts, toughness and versatility despite lacking elite athleticism. Martin exhibits many of the same traits, and should draw first-round consideration.

--Rob Rang and Derek Stephens (2/2/14)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664509/zack-martin

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
COMPARIES TO: Logan Mankins, OG, New England Patriots
No offense but I call bullshit on any evaluation that says he is comparable to Logan Mankins. If I'm moving an OT to Guard, I want to see reports about what a dominant run blocker he is.

Cotton

Staff member
No offense but I call bullshit on any evaluation that says he is comparable to Logan Mankins. If I'm moving an OT to Guard, I want to see reports about what a dominant run blocker he is.
The move in to guard would require him to add some bulk, but he has all of the other abilities to be able to make the move. Again, I take him without thinking about it at 16 if he's available.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Uhhh...Will Clarke visited.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Top Bottom