George - Cowboys have expressed interest in Broncos free agent DE Robert Ayers

Carp

DCC 4Life
You need multiple players along the DL...he would be one of many new players on the defensive front.

gator

Brand New Member
You need multiple players along the DL...he would be one of many new players on the defensive front.
Yup, we have to throw darts at multiple 4-3 DL with upside. When you have to fill so many slots in the rotation, you can't be as selective as you'd like.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Just because he can "coach people up" doesn't mean he knows what the eff a good player looks like.
His ability to coach people up is also being oversold. Yes, he's a very good DL coach. Possibly (hopefully) a very good Defensive Coordinator.

But he was given chicken shit in Dallas this year and turned it into..... chicken shit. Our DL was horrible. He didn't turn Marvin Austin or Drake Nevis (former 2nd and 3rd rounders) into players. They washed out here like they had elsewhere. Hayden was "turned into a starter" -- yeah, the worst one in the league.

Great, he turned Selvie into a find. That's one. And Selvie is getting a little overhyped as well; as is well documented, he's a player I like better as a rotational player on your DL.

You need talent. We don't have it. The position coaches aren't going to take a unit and revolutionize the players in that unit, it just doesn't work like that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm trying to think of one player Marinelli actually developed. Melton comes to mind, but nobody else. Sapp was an elite prospect, Simeon Rice was a FA and nobody else on that DL was great. He didn't develop anyone in Detroit either.
He helped them reach their potential, at least.

That DL was good, don't undersell it. I'd love it if we had a DL like Tampa had.

Of course... they also invested heavily in it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He helped them reach their potential, at least.

That DL was good, don't undersell it. I'd love it if we had a DL like Tampa had.

Of course... they also invested heavily in it.
His line in Chicago wasn't shit until they bought Peppers.

Sorry. He's not a miracle worker.

This is so much like Callahan a few years ago being given Costa and Nagy and then told, go for it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
His line in Chicago wasn't shit until they bought Peppers.

Sorry. He's not a miracle worker.

This is so much like Callahan a few years ago being given Costa and Nagy and then told, go for it.
I'm actually saying he's not a miracle worker, if you look at my post before that.

But give credit where it's due at least. He was the line coach on that team and it played fantastically. He must have been doing something right.

But yeah, to expect him to shine up turds is retarded.... considering that's what we asked him to do last year and it blew up in our faces.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

Top Bottom