George - Cowboys have expressed interest in Broncos free agent DE Robert Ayers

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Source: Dallas Cowboys have expressed interest in Denver Broncos free agent DE Robert Ayers

By Brandon George / Reporter
bgeorge@dallasnews.com
6:40 pm on March 11, 2014 |
With DeMarcus Ware now released, the Dallas Cowboys have a major need for a defensive end.

And, according to a source, they’ve already expressed interest in Denver Broncos defensive end Robert Ayers, one of the top edge rushers still on the market as an unrestricted free agent.

The Broncos made Ayers the 18th overall pick in the 2009 draft. Ayers, who will be 29 in September, hasn’t lived up to expectations in Denver but is coming off of his best season with the Broncos.

Ayers had a career-high 5 1/2 sacks in 2013 and was good in defending the run as well. He had 29 tackles in 15 games (three starts).

If the Cowboys fail in their attempt to re-sign Ware, the club’s all-time sacks leader, after the released him Tuesday, Ayers remains a possibility as someone Dallas could pursue in free agency.
-------------------------

Dull. But he's cheap.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As a rule I don't like draft busts, but we could do worse.
Ayers is the kind of guy who should be fortunate he didn't get traded by now in an even swap for another fellow draft bust.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Source: Dallas Cowboys have expressed interest in Denver Broncos free agent DE Robert Ayers

Dull. But he's cheap.
We need depth and he is young. Maybe Marinelli can help him turn a corner. If not he can certainly rotate in on our D-line. It far from prohibits us in the draft.

D

Deuce

@BryanBroaddus: “@artgarza47: @BryanBroaddus read cowboys were interested in Robert Ayers any truth in that” don't get that feeling.

junk

Not So New Member
We need depth and he is young. Maybe Marinelli can help him turn a corner. If not he can certainly rotate in on our D-line. It far from prohibits us in the draft.
I really hope this isn't the mentality around VR these days.

Well guys we got Marinelli and McClay, so we'll go find more Selvies!!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I really hope this isn't the mentality around VR these days.

Well guys we got Marinelli and McClay, so we'll go find more Selvies!!
The faith we are putting in Marinelli is starting to really really annoy me.

Take a look at the DL drafted by the Bears when he was there.

So good, they had to pay out the ass for Julius Peppers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Take a look at the DL drafted by the Bears when he was there.
So it was his fault that they drafted shitty? I don't think anyone is calling the man an elite scout. People are just saying his D-lines tend to out perform their talent in terms of pass rush, which they always have.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So it was his fault that they drafted shitty? I don't think anyone is calling the man an elite scout.
So why the hell is Jones apparently listening to him like he is?

It is a dangerous practice to allow assistant coaches to campaign for what they want. We gave Rob Ryan what he wanted and it has pretty much ruined a draft and the cap to this day.

And yes, I look at what Chicago drafted and I would saddle him with part of that blame.

This is the same retard who desperately wants us to pay Jason Hatcher top dollar. And thinks Nick Hayden can play in this league.

People are just saying his D-lines tend to out perform their talent in terms of pass rush, which they always have.
Just because he can "coach people up" doesn't mean he knows what the eff a good player looks like.

D

Deuce

I'm trying to think of one player Marinelli actually developed. Melton comes to mind, but nobody else. Sapp was an elite prospect, Simeon Rice was a FA and nobody else on that DL was great. He didn't develop anyone in Detroit either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm trying to think of one player Marinelli actually developed. Melton comes to mind, but nobody else. Sapp was an elite prospect, Simeon Rice was a FA and nobody else on that DL was great. He didn't develop anyone in Detroit either.
Pretty much.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And yet his D-lines always produced beastly pass rushes.

D

Deuce

And yet his D-lines always produced beastly pass rushes.
Don't get me wrong, I think he gets his guys to play. They work harder for him than any other coach on the team.

But it he isn't taking raw talent and molding it. He just gets the best out of the player as they are.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Don't get me wrong, I think he gets his guys to play. They work harder for him than any other coach on the team.

But it he isn't taking raw talent and molding it. He just gets the best out of the player as they are.
He's a teacher, not a talent evaluator.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I have a problem understanding how Marinelli could be such a great teacher and yet a shitty evaluator of the talent he molds.

Somebody 'splain me about that.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Brad Culpepper and Chidi Ahonotu.

hstour

Brand New Member
He's a teacher, not a talent evaluator.
Maybe it's not the talent evaluation of knowing which player will develop into a great player at the next level. More that it is the ability to recognize the player with the characteristics that will best fit the system he is trying to employ.

There is a subtle difference between the two.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Let's replace an all-timer with a former bust. That's gold, Jerry. Gold!

Top Bottom