2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Racist and pro-Trump graffiti appears in South Philly following election
Updated: NOVEMBER 10, 2016 — 12:49 PM EST

by Stephanie Farr & William Bender - Philadelphia Media Network
South Philadelphia residents awoke Wednesday to find racist and pro-Trump graffiti spray painted on their storefronts, cars, and homes.

One of the damaged cars was a white SUV that had "Trump Rules" and "Black Bitch" spray-painted across it in large black letters.

The 62-year-old owner of the car is a black woman who asked that her name be withheld. She said her first reaction was: "Oh, my God."

"I went straight to the police station," she said. "They were stunned."

When she left the station, she was approached by a white woman out walking her two dogs.

"She was crying so hard, and she said, 'Who would do such a thing? We're not like that,' " the woman recalled. "She was crying, and I just said, 'Come here, you need a hug.' "

A video of that encounter posted to Facebook had 38,000 views as of 6 p.m. It shows the calm victim comforting the shaken dog walker.

"Don't be broken about this," the victim says.

"Two steps forward, one step back," the white woman says.

The motorist took her vehicle to a South Philadelphia auto body shop. She later received a call from a worker there.

"He told me he had two people who were white offer to pay for my car but he told them I had insurance," she said. "It brought tears to my eyes. There's still good people out there."

Around 10:44 a.m., police responded to the 1300 block of South Broad Street in Point Breeze, where a swastika, the words "Sieg Heil 2016," and the word "Trump" with the 'T' replaced by a swastika were spray-painted on the windows of an empty fur store on the anniversary of Kristallnacht, the Nazi pogrom of 1938.

At 1:10 p.m., police said, they were called to Broad and Reed Streets in Point Breeze, where a utility box had "Trump" and a swastika painted on it.

Administrators and parents of students at the Meredith School at Fifth and Fitzwater Streets in Point Breeze also reported seeing such graffiti on buildings near the school.

"It was in the community, and the kids were noticing it on the way to school," principal Lauren Overton said. "It was a super-difficult day to be a school leader, because kids had a lot [of questions] they wanted answered."

Nicole Gonzalez Van Cleve, whose child attends Meredith, said she and her child noticed the graffiti on their way to school Wednesday.

"If we were to put any president's name on that wall, it wouldn't be an offensive thing, but unfortunately, Trump has made himself synonymous with hateful rhetoric," she said.

Van Cleve said neighbors made calls to the city, and she and three other residents made "politically neutral" posters with messages that read "Love your neighbors" and "Love always wins" that they placed over the graffiti.

"We wanted whoever did it to know that our community would take a stand for humanity and a stand for peace," she said.

Police have not made any arrest in any of the cases.

Regardless of the motivation for the graffiti, the 62-year-old woman whose car was spray-painted said she's not letting it get her down.

"You cannot allow people to take your joy away from you. Once they take your joy, then they are in control of you," she said. "I am not going to allow that to happen. It will all be OK."

farrs@phillynews.com

215-854-4225
That's bad and has to be stopped. The hooligans on both sides of the sides of this election should be met with equivalent law enforcement measures.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Interesting back and forth.

I wish this was happening across the nation.

This tribalism has to stop.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
True, but for someone like Trump, doesn't he have to surround himself with people that have some experience, at least for now? I mean how the hell else is he supposed to know how things work?
Lobbyists? That is like saying you are against crime, gonna clean up the city and then hire a crime lord to advise you.

Give it about three months, once it all settles with his cabinet, it will probably be a horror show.

It already is looking kind of gross with Newt Gingrich and Rudy Giuliani.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Lobbyists? That is like saying you are against crime, gonna clean up the city and then hire a crime lord to advise you.

Give it about three months, once it all settles with his cabinet, it will probably be a horror show.

It will be interesting.

So what do you think should happen with his business dealings?

As much as The Clinton foundation was called into question, rightfully so, how do you go about dealing with his corporations interest?

I think this was something that went way to far under the radar.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Lobbyist are pretty intelligent people and are well informed of the areas of their interests. The problem with Lobbyist and governmental officials is when they are approaching you with their offers and proposals but not necessarily as consultants. As far as Newt Gingrich I think he is one of the best informed no officer holders in the country and Giuliani is somewhat expert at National Security matters.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Police probing Trump graffiti, swastikas at Bucks high school
Updated: NOVEMBER 11, 2016 — 1:08 AM EST

REPRINTS
by Maria Panaritis and Aubrey Whelan, STAFF WRITERS
Police launched an investigation Thursday after swastikas, an antigay slur, and references to President-elect Donald Trump were found scrawled in bathrooms at a Bucks County high school, part of a wave of incidents swirling around the contentious presidential election.

Harassing messages or vandalism were found in three student bathrooms at Council Rock North High School, Superintendent Robert Fraser wrote in an email to the Council Rock School District. Latino students had also been targeted with inappropriate comments, he said, including one girl who found a note in her backpack "telling her to return to Mexico."

Reports of similar incidents have been bubbling across the state in the aftermath of Trump's victory over Hillary Clinton and campaign style, often assailed as polarizing and divisive.

In Philadelphia, police said a woman in Bella Vista found "Trump 2016" and "Black Bitch" spray-painted on her car Wednesday morning. They also were probing the discovery of a swastika, and the phrases "Sieg Heil 2016" and "Trump," painted on a storefront in Point Breeze, and another swastika next to the word "Trump" painted on a utility box a few blocks away.

York, Pa., police said school officials there disciplined two students who "paraded a Trump sign through the halls" of York County School of Technology, and another student who yelled "white power." A widely shared video of the chants sparked outrage on social media.

And at Southern Lehigh High School near Bethlehem, Pa., administrators held a student assembly late last week to address racist and homophobic slurs against students, and incidents including the carving of swastikas onto bathroom stalls, according to the Allentown Morning Call.

None of those incidents included specific references to the presidential candidates, but school officials scheduled the assembly to help persuade students to "do a better job of respecting one another," the principal wrote in a letter the newspaper obtained.

In his message to the district Thursday, the Bucks County superintendent said two swastikas had been found scrawled in a boys' bathroom stall. In a girls' bathroom, "on a hanging piece of paper someone wrote 'I Love Trump,' a derogatory comment about people who are gay, and drew three swastikas," Fraser reported. And in another girls' lavatory, the phrase "If Trump wins, watch out!" was written on a toilet-paper dispenser.

The disclosure of the incidents drew strong reaction, including on a district parents' Facebook page. The page administrator warned that offensive comments were being deleted and offenders would be barred.

"Sadly, the recent election results are being used as a 'free pass' to publicly express hatred against persons of different color, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, economic class etc.," wrote Joanne Calibeo. "Unfortunately, these attitudes have been learned and cultivated over a period of time. These bad attitudes do not belong to any particular political party. We parents have much work to do in raising our children to respect, care for and love all people. Let's get to work!"

On a different Facebook page, a former Council Rock North student expressed dismay. Alumna Caryn Sarah, 27, said in an interview that she had been insulted as a student a decade ago by classmates who taunted her for being Jewish.

But adults responded quickly when she brought to their attention that students threw pennies at her or mocked her curly hair and nose, said Sarah, who lives in Yardley and works as a family therapist.

Newtown police confirmed their investigation but said they had no details to release by Thursday evening.

In his note, the superintendent said such actions would not be tolerated. "We are better than this," he wrote, "and ours is a community that must be based upon a mutual respect for ALL people, and ALL of Council Rock."

mpanaritis@phillynews.com
My cousin went to this school. It's a VERY affluent area. Pretty fucked up. My guess is this is privileged, entitled asshole kids that think this sort of thing is funny.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Lobbyist are pretty intelligent people and are well informed of the areas of their interests. The problem with Lobbyist and governmental officials is when they are approaching you with their offers and proposals but not necessarily as consultants. As far as Newt Gingrich I think he is one of the best informed no officer holders in the country and Giuliani is somewhat expert at National Security matters.
WOW

That is heavy duty spin right there.

So when the lobbyist are "consulting" you don't think they will be looking after their own interest?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
WOW

That is heavy duty spin right there.

So when the lobbyist are "consulting" you don't think they will be looking after their own interest?
They will be looking after their clients interest. That's what they do. You might be better served to learn something about Lobbyist. They represent groups and clients. You have Lobbyist representing you whether you know it or not. Everyone is part of a group of some type. There are Lobbyist that represent your teaching group. In the instant case these individuals referenced will be seeking information for the President Elect.

Last edited:

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I never called you a racist and you threw out the race card with your initial post.

and oh yeah.

:flip
With the intolerant left like you, racist and bigot generally imply the same thing. And no I didn't throw out the race card. I merely stated what was. If you can't in your omnipotence devine that it happened on some level then you are an idiot. But in regards to your remarks to me personally,
Dude, I've done more in my city to fight against bigotry and disharmony for not just black folk, but all races, sexes, religions and orientations in the past 25 years than you will ever do in your lifetime so right back at ya! :flip

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
The tale of the political divide is city vs. country.

Cities vote overwhelmingly for democrats and have much much much higher concentrations of people.

That's why red state vs blue state is kind of an illusion since your state politics is mostly decided by your city to country ratio.
Crime map.jpg

JUst a bit of factual humor for you.

townsend

Banned
From 2008
Obama election spurs race threats, crimes
The Associated Press
Cross burnings. Schoolchildren chanting "Assassinate Obama." Black figures hung from nooses. Racial epithets scrawled on homes and cars.

Incidents around the country referring to President-elect Barack Obama are dampening the postelection glow of racial progress and harmony, highlighting the stubborn racism that remains in America.

From California to Maine, police have documented a range of alleged crimes, from vandalism and vague threats to at least one physical attack. Insults and taunts have been delivered by adults, college students and second-graders.

There have been "hundreds" of incidents since the election, many more than usual, said Mark Potok, director of the Intelligence Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate crimes.

One was in Snellville, Ga., where Denene Millner said a boy on the school bus told her 9-year-old daughter the day after the election: "I hope Obama gets assassinated." That night, someone trashed her sister-in-law's front lawn, mangled the Obama lawn signs and left two pizza boxes filled with human feces outside the front door, Millner said.

She described her emotions as a combination of anger and fear.

"I can't say that every white person in Snellville is evil and anti-Obama and willing to desecrate my property because one or two idiots did it," said Millner, who is black. "But it definitely makes you look a little different at the people who you live with, and makes you wonder what they're capable of and what they're really thinking."

Potok, who is white, said he believes there is "a large subset of white people in this country who feel that they are losing everything they know, that the country their forefathers built has somehow been stolen from them."

Grant Griffin, a 46-year-old white Georgia native, expressed similar sentiments: "I believe our nation is ruined and has been for several decades and the election of Obama is merely the culmination of the change.

"If you had real change it would involve all the members of (Obama's) church being deported," he said.

'Shaking the foundations'
Change in whatever form does not come easy, and a black president is "the most profound change in the field of race this country has experienced since the Civil War," said William Ferris, senior associate director of the Center for the Study of the American South at the University of North Carolina. "It's shaking the foundations on which the country has existed for centuries."

"Someone once said racism is like cancer," Ferris said. "It's never totally wiped out, it's in remission."

If so, America's remission lasted until the morning of Nov. 5.

The day after the vote hailed as a sign of a nation changed, black high school student Barbara Tyler of Marietta, Ga., said she heard hateful Obama comments from white students, and that teachers cut off discussion about Obama's victory.

'Stupid and ineffectual'
Tyler spoke at a press conference by the Georgia chapter of the NAACP calling for a town hall meeting to address complaints from across the state about hostility and resentment.

Another student, from a Covington middle school, said he was suspended for wearing an Obama shirt to school Nov. 5 after the principal told students not to wear political paraphernalia.

The student's mother, Eshe Riviears, said the principal told her: "Whether you like it or not, we're in the South, and there are a lot of people who are not happy with this decision."

Other incidents include:

Four North Carolina State University students admitted writing anti-Obama comments in a tunnel designated for free speech expression, including one that said: "Let's shoot that (N-word) in the head."
Second- and third-grade students on a school bus in Rexburg, Idaho, chanted "assassinate Obama," a district official said.
University of Alabama professor Marsha L. Houston said a poster of the Obama family was ripped off her office door. A replacement poster was defaced with a death threat and a racial slur. "It seems the election brought the racist rats out of the woodwork," Houston said.
Black figures were hanged by nooses from trees on Mount Desert Island, Maine, the Bangor Daily News reported. The president of Baylor University in Waco, Texas said a rope found hanging from a campus tree was apparently an abandoned swing and not a noose.
Crosses were burned in yards of Obama supporters in Hardwick, N.J., and Apolacan Township, Pa.
A black teenager in New York City said he was attacked with a bat on election night by four white men who shouted 'Obama.'
In the Pittsburgh suburb of Forest Hills, a black man said he found a note with a racial slur on his car windshield, saying "now that you voted for Obama, just watch out for your house."
An easy target
Emotions are often raw after a hard-fought political campaign, but now those on the losing side have an easy target for their anger.

"The principle is very simple," said BJ Gallagher, a sociologist and co-author of the diversity book "A Peacock in the Land of Penguins." "If I can't hurt the person I'm angry at, then I'll vent my anger on a substitute, i.e., someone of the same race."

"We saw the same thing happen after the 9-11 attacks, as a wave of anti-Muslim violence swept the country. We saw it happen after the Rodney King verdict, when Los Angeles blacks erupted in rage at the injustice perpetrated by 'the white man.'"

"It's as stupid and ineffectual as kicking your dog when you've had a bad day at the office," Gallagher said. "But it happens a lot."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Jiggyfly

Banned
They will be looking after their clients interest. That's what they do. You might be better served to learn something about Lobbyist. They represent groups and clients. You have Lobbyist representing you whether you know it or not. Everyone is part of a group of some type. There are Lobbyist that represent your teaching group. In the instant case these individuals referenced will be seeking information for the President Elect.
Spin and deflect the L.T. game plan even if it has nothing to do with the matter at hand.

Nice to know you have no problem with lobbyist having the ear of the presiden after much of his campaign was against special interest.

His words:

In October, declaring that “it’s time to drain the swamp in Washington,” he promised to institute a five-year ban in which all executive branch officials would be prevented from lobbying the government after they left. He has also promised to expand the definition of a lobbyist, so it includes corporate consultants who do not register as lobbyists but still often act like one.
But hey tell us again how Trump is only using the benevolemt lobbyist who are only altruistic and are only information seekers.:dunce

I'm starting to believe you actually believe this crap.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
Trump Campaigned Against Lobbyists, but Now They’re on His Transition Team
By ERIC LIPTONNOV. 11, 2016

WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump, who campaigned against the corrupt power of special interests, is filling his transition team with some of the very sort of people who he has complained have too much clout in Washington: corporate consultants and lobbyists.

Jeffrey Eisenach, a consultant who has worked for years on behalf of Verizon and other telecommunications clients, is the head of the team that is helping to pick staff members at the Federal Communications Commission.

Michael Catanzaro, a lobbyist whose clients include Devon Energy and Encana Oil and Gas, holds the “energy independence” portfolio.

Michael Torrey, a lobbyist who runs a firm that has earned millions of dollars helping food industry players such as the American Beverage Association and the dairy giant Dean Foods, is helping set up the new team at the Department of Agriculture.

Mr. Trump was swept to power in large part by white working-class voters who responded to his vow to restore the voices of forgotten people, ones drowned out by big business and Wall Street. But in his transition to power, some of the most prominent voices will be those of advisers who come from the same industries for which they are being asked to help set the regulatory groundwork.

The president-elect’s spokeswoman, Hope Hicks, declined a request for comment, as did nearly a dozen corporate executives, consultants and lobbyists serving on his transition team, which was outlined in a list distributed widely in Washington on Thursday.

A number of the people on that list are well-established experts with no clear interest in helping private-sector clients. But to critics of Mr. Trump — both Democrats and Republicans — the inclusion of advisers with industry ties is a first sign that he may not follow through on all of his promises.

“This whole idea that he was an outsider and going to destroy the political establishment and drain the swamp were the lines of a con man, and guess what — he is being exposed as just that,” said Peter Wehner, who served in the administrations of Ronald Reagan and George Bush before becoming a speechwriter for George W. Bush. “He is failing the first test, and he should be held accountable for it.”

Transition teams help new presidents pick the new cabinet, as well as up to 4,000 political appointees who will take over top posts in agencies across the government. President Obama, after he was first elected, instituted rules that prohibited individuals who had served as registered lobbyists in the prior year from serving as transition advisers in the areas in which they represented private clients. They were also prohibited, after the administration took power, from lobbying in the parts of the government they helped set up.

“They wanted to make sure that people were not putting their thumb on the scale, or even the perception of that,” said Martha Joynt Kumar, the director of a nonprofit group called the White House Transition Project, which has studied two decades of presidential transitions.

Among the advisers assisting Mr. Trump who have no clear private-sector ties are Brian Johnson, a top lawyer for the House Financial Services Committee, who is helping to pick top staff members for the federal government’s many financial services agencies.

Edwin Meese III, who served as attorney general under Mr. Reagan and is now associated with the Heritage Foundation, the conservative think tank, is helping oversee management and budget issues, along with Kay Coles James, a Bush administration official who now runs an institute that trains future African-American leaders.

Former Representative Mike Rogers, Republican of Michigan, who served as chairman of the House Intelligence Committee and was once a special agent in the F.B.I., is overseeing issues related to national security, including the intelligence agencies and the Department of Homeland Security.

But in other areas, most notably the energy sector, the transition team advisers are far from independent.

Mr. Catanzaro’s client list is a who’s who of major corporate players — such as the Hess Corporation and Devon Energy — that have tried to challenge the Obama administration’s environmental and energy policies on issues such as how much methane gas can be released at oil and gas drilling sites, lobbying disclosure reports show.

He also worked with oil industry players to help push through major legislation goals, such as allowing the export of crude oil. He will now help pick Mr. Trump’s energy team.

Michael McKenna, another lobbyist helping to pick key administration officials who will oversee energy policy, has a client list that this year has included the Southern Company, one of the most vocal critics of efforts to prevent climate change by putting limits on emissions from coal-burning power plants.

Advisers with ties to other industries include Martin Whitmer, who is overseeing “transportation and infrastructure” for the Trump transition. He is the chairman of a Washington law firm whose lobbying clients include the Association of American Railroads and the National Asphalt Pavement Association.

David Malpass, the former chief economist at Bear Stearns, the Wall Street investment bank that collapsed during the 2008 financial crisis, is overseeing the “economic issues” portfolio of the transition, as well as operations at the Treasury Department. Mr. Malpass now runs a firm called Encima Global, which sells economic research to institutional investors and corporate clients.:lol

Mr. Eisenach, as a telecom industry consultant, has worked to help major cellular companies fight back against regulations proposed by the F.C.C. that would mandate so-called net neutrality — requiring providers to give equal access to their networks to outside companies. He is now helping to oversee the rebuilding of the staff at the F.C.C.

Dan DiMicco, a former chief executive of the steelmaking company Nucor, who now serves on the board of directors of Duke Energy, is heading the transition team for the Office of the United States Trade Representative. Mr. DiMicco has long argued that China is unfairly subsidizing its manufacturing sector at the expense of American jobs.

In his campaign, Mr. Trump promised to take steps to close the so-called revolving door, through which government officials leave their posts and then personally profit by helping private companies reap rewards from policies or programs they had recently managed.

In October, declaring that “it’s time to drain the swamp in Washington,” he promised to institute a five-year ban in which all executive branch officials would be prevented from lobbying the government after they left. He has also promised to expand the definition of a lobbyist, so it includes corporate consultants who do not register as lobbyists but still often act like one.

Bruce F. Freed, the president of a nonprofit group called the Center for Political Accountability, which is pressing major corporations to be more transparent about their political spending, said Mr. Trump’s transition team had sent an unfortunate signal to his followers.

“This is one of the reasons you had such anger among voters — people rigging the system, gaming the system,” Mr. Freed said. “This represents more of the same.”

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Spin and deflect the L.T. game plan even if it has nothing to do with the matter at hand.

Nice to know you have no problem with lobbyist having the ear of the presiden after much of his campaign was against special interest.

His words:

Do you even know anything about Lobbyist. You haven't said a single word about why it is bad to have a Lobbyist representing their client. You obviously need to use your google expertise and do some research then tell me what y our objections are. Saying "major spin" says nothing. I will give you a hint. The problem with some Lobbyist is their influence over lawmakerrs. Their clients however are well served.

But hey tell us again how Trump is only using the benevolemt lobbyist who are only altruistic and are only information seekers.:dunce

I'm starting to believe you actually believe this crap.
Next time say something that actually addresses your concerns. Saying major spin says nothing. Use your friend google to learn something about Lobbyist as advisers. The problems with some Lobbyist is when the influence lawmakers . This isn't the case as advisers. I'm starting to believe you are all mouth and no substance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom