Dallas’s Jerry Jones has odd reaction to Greg Hardy’s media session

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dallas’s Jerry Jones has odd reaction to Greg Hardy’s media session

Three takeaways from the NFL owners meeting

Sports Illustrated's Don Banks shares three pieces of news that came out of the NFL owners meeting including the potential timetable for a team in Los Angeles.

by Melissa Jacobs
Posted: Wed Oct. 7, 2015 Updated: Thu Oct. 8, 2015

NEW YORK — Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones offered some odd commentary Wednesday in reaction to linebacker Greg Hardy’s “guns blazin’” comment earlier in the day. For good measure, he added more oddness with a comment about Tom Brady and his wife.

At the Waldorf Astoria hotel Wednesday, owners and representatives from all 32 NFL teams gathered for a lengthy session to discuss a litany of pending business, most notably the prospect of the Raiders, Chargers or Rams relocating to Los Angeles. Among questions fielded by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell during a post-meeting presser was his reaction to stunning comments made by Hardy. Goodell said he was unaware of the comments.

As a refresher, Hardy, who will be making his Cowboys debut after being placed on the Commissioner’s exempt list in 2014 and serving a four-game suspension to start this season due to a prior conviction for brutally assaulting and threatening the life of his ex-girlfriend that was thrown out after she failed to appear at his appellate hearing, spoke to Cowboys media Tuesday.

In the bizarre session at his locker, Hardy deflected questions about his off-the-field travails by answering “God bless you” and declared that he was ready to come out Sunday “guns blazin,’” an interesting choice of words for someone accused of tossing his ex-girlfriend on a bed of rifles.

In attendance at the owners meeting, Jones spoke exclusively to SI.com for the first-time since Hardy made his comments.

Like the commissioner, Jones claimed he was unaware of the comments. When told about Hardy’s “blazin” statement, Jones’s immediate response was “Oh my goodness.” He then briefly paused before offering an explanation.

“Well, you’re not allowed to have guns on the football field. We all know that’s just a way of expressing yourself. I hope his guns are ablazin’,” Jones said.

Jones was then informed about Hardy’s reaction when asked about facing Brady this week.

“I love seeing Tom Brady. You seen his wife? I hope she comes to the game. I hope her sister comes to the game,” Hardy had said.

Jones’s response?

“When I saw him marry her [Gisele], Tom went up in my eyes 100%. She’s very very attractive and it shows what an outstanding individual Tom is.”

~~~~~

When Jerry speaks... the world cringes with discomfort while pondering the hillbilly mind...

townsend

Banned
That seriously sounds exactly like something Donald Trump would have said.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jesus people love to make something out of nothing.
We really need to somehow find a way to incorporate "guns blazin" into the board vernacular. I feel this is imperative.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I kind of like Jerry's response. Sounds like he was mocking the dude.

Cotton

Staff member
I kind of like Jerry's response. Sounds like he was mocking the dude.
Yeah, I liked his responses, too. Sounds like he doesn't feel it should have been made a big deal, either.

Cotton

Staff member
Jerry Jones explains why he expected Greg Hardy to be criticized after speaking to media for first time since joining Cowboys

By Jon Machota
Staff Writer

Jerry Jones says he understands why Greg Hardy's comments earlier in the week were criticized. The Cowboys owner and general manager expected that to happen when Hardy used the phrase "Come out guns blazing" and talked about Tom Brady's wife on Tuesday.

Jones spent roughly seven minutes addressing the situation during his Friday morning radio show.

"It's just where we are and where he is and where we are," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan's G-Bag Nation [KRLD-FM]. "Most of the comments are going to go the wrong way if they have any element of being positive, of being aggressive, of being the way you want to be as a football player as far as your attitude is concerned. He has that attitude. It's not just talk. It's not just in front of a bunch of cameras. That's what he is and he is that way. He's very aggressive out there. He's very positive. He's very confident in his ability to make a difference. Where he is and where we are is any time there, any time he is a point of discussion - they probably asked him so many questions, sometimes I'll get questions and then I'll have five or six of them that have nothing to do with what the writer ultimately writes and then he has it put on by some colleague some other way. You never know where it's coming from.

"Here's the deal, unless he looks like he's contrite, unless he looks like he is just absolutely whipped, and really obviously sorry for what his situation, he's going to get criticized. We all know that. But he was in a football setting. Those questions that were being asked of him, the people who were asking those questions, those were not work place. We know some things are out of order if an attorney is talking to you or a sales person is talking to you and they're the opposite sex. We know some things in today's society that is behavior that we don't have today. We know that."

Jones then specifically addressed Hardy's comments about hoping Brady's wife, fashion model Gisele Bundchen, would be attending Sunday's game at AT&T Stadium.

"I can remember when they would talk about Richard and you'd say, 'I don't know about Richard Burton, but anybody good enough to be married to Elizabeth Taylor has got to be all right.' Elizabeth Taylor made her life wanting people to say she was pretty. ... When you talked about Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, you talked about how pretty she was. Nobody thought that you were being disrespectful of women or the workplace.

"Well, Tom just happens to be married to a lady that's absolutely one of the premier people in the world of working and making people say she's beautiful. Do you agree with me? That's what they do. They get up in the morning and go to bed at night having people say she's beautiful. So a lot of people when they talk about Tom Brady, they talk about how beautiful she is."

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
now we know where Hardy gets his sense of entitlement

Cotton

Staff member

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
How has Hardy acted like he is entitled to anything?
you're entitled if you can say controversial things without fear of reprisal because the enabling owner has your back. he's proving why he's a one year rent-a-player.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
you're entitled if you can say controversial things without fear of reprisal because the enabling owner has your back. he's proving why he's a one year rent-a-player.
Your name has gun in it, I'm offended.

Cotton

Staff member
He didn't really say anything all that controversial, though. You're reaching here. I have to assume you don't like the guy or something.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
He didn't really say anything all that controversial, though. You're reaching here. I have to assume you don't like the guy or something.
who does? the guy's a scumbag who skated because he paid the girl off. he may be our scumbag, but like Pacman and Tank Johnson, that's nothing to brag about. just because he can contribute on the field doesn't make his flaws magically disappear.

Cotton

Staff member
who does? the guy's a scumbag who skated because he paid the girl off. he may be our scumbag, but like Pacman and Tank Johnson, that's nothing to brag about. just because he can contribute on the field doesn't make his flaws magically disappear.
I love the guy. You don't know the details about what actually happened with him and his gf anymore than I do. And if he helps this team win, I don't GAS.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love the guy. You don't know the details about what actually happened with him and his gf anymore than I do. And if he helps this team win, I don't GAS.
I love how people pretend to know what happened with a guy whose charges were dismissed. You know why prosecutors dismiss a case? Because their case sucks and they can't prove the guy did anything.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
you don't have to "pretend." just read the transcripts from the initial judge trial. they dismissed the case because their star witness didn't show up for the jury trial. gee, I wonder why.

Cotton

Staff member
you don't have to "pretend." just read the transcripts from the initial judge trial. they dismissed the case because their star witness didn't show up for the jury trial. gee, I wonder why.
Listen to the 911 call and get back to me.

Top Bottom