Watkins: Players believe in Monte Kiffin

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Players believe in Monte Kiffin

December, 10, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

CHICAGO -- After such a poor effort by the Cowboys' defense in the 45-28 loss to theChicago Bears Monday night, several players were asked about the belief in coordinator Monte Kiffin's scheme.

"Why you would ask that question?" defensive tackle Jason Hatcher said. "You answer that."

The Cowboys allowed the Bears to score on eight consecutive possessions, and though the run defense did OK at times, Matt Forte rushed for 102 yards on 20 carries. Bears quarterback Josh McCown threw for 348 yards and four touchdowns.

"We didn’t play a fundamentally sound game this week," defensive end DeMarcus Waresaid.

"They schemed us well and they knew what was coming most of the time," Hatcher said. "It's no excuse. We have to execute better and play better. We got outplayed."

The defensive scheme seems flawed at times with Kiffin dropping back defensive linemen into pass coverage. He dropped defensive tackle Nick Hayden into coverage and he failed to tackle a scrambling McCown on the way for a seven-yard touchdown run. Hatcher also fell back into pass coverage.

Kiffin continues to start rookie Jeff Heath over rookie J.J. Wilcox at free safety.

Rookie cornerback B.W. Webb was covering Alshon Jeffery in the back of the end zone and as Jeffery was snagging a wondering throw by McCown for the score. Heath arrived to help and instead of trying to knock the ball out he tried to push Jeffery out of bounds.

"It's one of those plays where afterward obviously you would have done it differently," Heath said. "It happens. I felt at the time I could get a shot on him, maybe."

Webb appeared confused on another touchdown pass in zone coverage in the first quarter. It looked as if he was supposed to cover the underneath portion of the field. When he didn't it left Earl Bennett open to make a touchdown reception which tied the game at 7-7.

The Cowboys dropped two interceptions in the second half, one by Orlando Scandrick in the end zone and another by Bruce Carter. Sterling Moore picked off a pass two plays after Carter's failure to force a turnover, but it was negated by a holding call on Brandon Carr.

"The system is there it's got everything to do with executing properly," middle linebackerSean Lee said. "You can't give up big plays and we gave up too many big plays. We didn't get off the field on third down, basic stuff."

Defensive line coach Rod Marinelli, praised for working with a banged up unit this season, said the group isn't frustrated.

"Just got to do our job," he said. "It ain't about frustrations. It's just do our job."

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think we'll double down on Kiffin and the Tampa 2 crowd and bring in more assistants, probably fire Henderson since the CBs have been so bad.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
I don't think so, I think we keep the 4-3, play man, and beef up the safeties

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Of course they believe in him. He gives them a card with five dollars in it on their birthdays

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If I had to guess, I'd guess that Kiffin politely retires, Marinelli is promoted, and we overdraft DBs in the draft. Probably a safety in the first.

We could see linemen in the second and/or third round, but they'll be uninspiring Tyrone Crawford and Kyle Wilber types.

Then in the fourth and fifth rounds we'll grab a couple more DBs just because we refuse to evaluate potential keeper OL and DL types in those rounds.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
If I had to guess, I'd guess that Kiffin politely retires, Marinelli is promoted, and we overdraft DBs in the draft. Probably a safety in the first.

We could see linemen in the second and/or third round, but they'll be uninspiring Tyrone Crawford and Kyle Wilber types.

Then in the fourth and fifth rounds we'll grab a couple more DBs just because we refuse to evaluate potential keeper OL and DL types in those rounds.
I think the odds of Lovie Smith landing a job (ie, the Texans) is pretty strong for 2014 and I think he'll bring in Marinelli to he his DC. Marinelli would be a fool to stick around if he has another opportunity, which by default almost has to be better than the situation in Dallas.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys D: Are Kiffin Schemes At Fault?

By Mike Fisher
DallasBasketball.com
Posted Dec 10, 2013

Share on twitterShare on facebook| More Sharing ServicesMore

There is virtually no limit to the ways an NFL defense can lose a football game. Schemes and philosophies. Mental mistakes and physical errors. Subpar talent and bad luck. Inside, I analyze how Monta Kiffin's struggling Cowboys defense is stretching the limit.

There is virtually no limit to the ways an NFL defense can lose a football game. Schemes and philosophies. Mental mistakes and physical errors. Subpar talent and bad luck.

And sometimes, as in Monday’s 45-28 loss at Chicago, you are the Dallas Cowboys defense and you test all those limits.

The most common yelps directed by critics at coordinator Monte Kiffin’s defense center on either his philosophy being out of date or Kiffin himself, a coaching legend but now 73, being out of date. No less an authoritative Cowboys lover than Emmitt Smith tweeted during the blowout: “This Scheme is garbage.’’

If it were that simple, of course – if the 4-3 defense featuring Cover-2 in the secondary was truly “garbage,’’ there wouldn’t be any other NFL teams stupid enough to use those philosophies. And in fact, virtually every team uses some facet of what Kiffin long ago pioneered.

But the Bears touchdowns kept piling up, higher than the plowed snowdrifts outside of freezing Soldier Field. Cowboys Nation demands explanation. Is it scheme? Philosophy? Mental mistakes?

Physical errors? Subpar talent? Bad luck.

Let’s plow through Chicago’s five-TD avalanche that made this a blowout:

*TOUCHDOWN 1: 1:40 left in the first quarter, Dallas up 7-0, Chicago facing a third down from the 4. Josh McCown finds Earl Bennett for the touchdown pass. Lined up as an extra defensive back to contest extra receiver Bennett is Cowboys rookie B.W. Webb (pictured to the left of the photo). The Cowboys call looks correct … but Webb looks lost (like a rookie, one might say), fails to find his man and fails to find the ball.

There is nothing wrong with the “scheme’’ here … though it might be fair to question Webb as a student or the teaching skills of those tutoring him.

*TOUCHDOWN 2: Tied at 7-7 with 9:05 left in the first half, the Bears are facing a third down at the Dallas 7. This can be a game-changer … and it is. McCown rushes up the vacated middle for a touchdown.

And why is it vacated? The Cowboys’ decision to go with a Nose-Tackle Spy is a risk in that if it fails, will make them look silly. And Nick Hayden (see him turned sideways on the upper-right of the photo) did indeed look silly dropping into coverage and then getting juked in the open field by the QB.

But Hayden did his job in dropping (and then did his best in trying to morph from a street free agent into a starting 1-Tech). Ideally, the QB is expected to look to the temporarily vacant spot (between the “E’’ and the “A’’ in the end zone) and find his tight end there. If he throws it, Hayden (ideally) is in the way for an incompletion. More likely, McCown will simply throw it away because the “E’’ and the “A’’ area is quickly clogged and there is certainly no running room for him because the other defensive tackle has taken an inside rush to fill Hayden’s vacated spot.

But check out Jason Hatcher, a very smart player having a Pro Bowl year. On this play, he must think he can beat his man by going to the blocker’s outside shoulder. He’s wrong … and by freelancing (I believe, as I haven’t yet asked Hatcher about it) it’s a bust. Hayden gets laughed at by the public. But I bet Hatcher is the one yelling at himself.

*TOUCHDOWN 3: With 17 seconds left in the first half, the Bears are up 17-14. This isn’t a blowout yet; Dallas’ bend-but-don’t-break philosophy just needs to work for a few seconds. But McCown benefits from an amazing catch in the right-back corner of the end zone from Alshon Jeffery for a 25-yard score.

Anything wrong with the philosophy here? Not if you’ve seen the play. Webb is the guy in zone coverage; while Jeffery is traveling east-to-west across the back of the end zone for the ball, the poor kid is backpedalling and reaching north-and-south, tumbling though the rear of the end zone without at all contending what should’ve been a jump ball. Meanwhile, fellow rookie Jeff Heath seems to begin to leap for the ball and then inexplicable stops himself.

This isn’t schematic; this is two youngsters not “getting it’’ while another has. A year ago, Jeffrey was considered a second-round bust with injury problems that led Chicago to trade for Brandon Marshall. Now Jeffrey almost seems to be his equal. (Maybe some Cowboys kids can grow up similarly.)

*TOUCHDOWN 4: By now the rout is on. It’s 27-14 and with 2:25 left in the third, Chicago has a second down at the Dallas 4. McCown throws a short pass to the right to Matt Forte for a touchdown.

This one is a special gift to the Cowboys watcher who thinks Kiffin needs to get out of the zone. Chicago puts a receiver in motion to the left (Jeffery, No. 17) to reveal that Dallas is in man coverage (established when the Bears see the only defensive back handling the left side of the perimeter, Scandrick, shifting to move with the receiver in motion). The ball is snapped and Scandrick is trapped; Jeffrey’s movement was all about deception to the left, with (Forte, No. 22) the actual intended target now sprinting to the right. Maybe Scandrick was supposed to shift responsibilities – and he did, just a split-second too late. Or maybe a linebacker was supposed to scrape laterally and shadow Forte but got caught up in the trash inside.

Forte outruns/outmuscles Scandrick to the corner and while this isn’t a problem with Dallas’ “scheme,’’ per se, it’s a related issue and an occupational hazard of coaching: The Cowboys got “out-schemed.’’

They zigged and the Bears zagged.

It happens. But when it happens to often you find yourself behind 35-14 after three quarters.

TOUCHDOWN 5: We are 29 seconds into the final quarter and Chicago has a first-and-10 at the Dallas 17. McCown swings right to Michael Bush for another score.

How can a bullish running back get this open? By this point, is the Cowboys defense even trying? Yes. It’s defensive end George Selvie who is trying. His assignment is to pass-rush … but then to peel back to get in the passing lane between the QB and Bush. This would be a challenge even if injured Pro Bowler Anthony Spencer was playing instead of yet another street-guy-turned-starter in Selvie. Selvie is (you guessed it) a split-second late in peeling back. And Bush is off to the races and the blowout is official.

The Cowboys are setting dubious records for yards allowed and at 7-6 have fallen out of first place in the NFC East. It’s almost certain that the “scheme issues’’ that are part of this discussion would be lessened if Webbs and Heaths and Selvies and Haydens weren’t being counted on … But that’s not the only problem.

Monte Kiffin’s Cowboys are playing a chess game with inferior pieces and are making moves with inferior results. It’s about being out-schemed and about philosophies

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think the odds of Lovie Smith landing a job (ie, the Texans) is pretty strong for 2014 and I think he'll bring in Marinelli to he his DC. Marinelli would be a fool to stick around if he has another opportunity, which by default almost has to be better than the situation in Dallas.
Do you know Marinelli's contract situation? I sure as shit wouldn't have brought him in with Asst. Head Coach title and money on a one year deal, I wouldn't be stunned if Jerruh and Goof were that stupid, but I wouldn't assume it.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I feel like he identified players who screwed up specifically on four of the five TDs, then says it's about being outschemed.

I'm confused.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Probably all true.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Do you know Marinelli's contract situation? I sure as shit wouldn't have brought him in with Asst. Head Coach title and money on a one year deal, I wouldn't be stunned if Jerruh and Goof were that stupid, but I wouldn't assume it.
I don't know the details. I forgot about the "Assistant Head Coach" title. That could make it more difficult for other teams to pry him away. If Dallas promotes him to DC/Assistant HC another team would have to offer more than that for him to get out of his contract, right?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
When you think about it, it's kind of impressive that they actually have a winning record with the defense performing this poorly. I consider it a minor miracle.

Still doesn't excuse Garrett.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't know the details. I forgot about the "Assistant Head Coach" title. That could make it more difficult for other teams to pry him away. If Dallas promotes him to DC/Assistant HC another team would have to offer more than that for him to get out of his contract, right?
I can't find the details for Marinelli's contract but I know that Kiffen is on a one year deal. Not that that matters, just sayin'.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
You can't get an assistant out of his contract unless you offer him the head coach job any more. That's why it took Marinelli so long to get out of Tampa in the first place.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
When you think about it, it's kind of impressive that they actually have a winning record with the defense performing this poorly. I consider it a minor miracle.

Still doesn't excuse Garrett.
Turnovers and defensive/ST scores have made a huge difference. Overall they've probably hurt more than they've helped, but the defense has helped us more than it gets credit for.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
You can't get an assistant out of his contract unless you offer him the head coach job any more. That's why it took Marinelli so long to get out of Tampa in the first place.
From Todd Archer: For those wondering if Rod Marinelli will join Lovie Smith should Smith return to the NFL as a head coach somewhere. From what I'm told, Marinelli signed a three-year deal with the Cowboys when he joined the team in the offseason. Technically Jones could allow Marinelli to join Smith if he wanted, but he does not have to. The promotion rule was dropped a long time ago. Since Jones would not let Joe DeCamillis leave for the Oakland Raiders two years ago to be with Dennis Allen or Tony Sparano to leave for the New Orleans Saints when Sean Payton took over in 2006, I can't see Jones letting Marinelli walk.

dallen

Senior Tech
the only way Marinelli can break his contract is for a head coach gig

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They really should publish coaching contracts like they do player ones.

It would make predicting Jones coaching moves so much easier.

Top Bottom