Randy Gregory suspension appeal still pending

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Gregorys suspension is now only a 4 game suspension.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Randy Gregory wins appeal on 10-game suspension

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: Sept. 4, 2016 at 10:43 a.m.
Updated: Sept. 4, 2016 at 10:53 a.m.

Dallas Cowboys defensive end Randy Gregory won't be suspended 10 games in 2016.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports that Gregory won the appeal of his 10-game suspension for another violation of the NFL's Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Gregory will still miss four games this season for a previous violation.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram first reported the news of Gregory's appeal victory.

The 23-year-old Gregory enrolled into a treatment program earlier this summer, Rapoport previously reported. The Cowboys placed the pass rusher on the reserve/did not report list before camp. He remains in a treatment program.

The reduction in Gregory's suspension means he could potentially return to the field in Week 5. While the Cowboys could certainly use his help along the defensive line, an early-season return isn't a given for Gregory. After missing all offseason, Gregory will have to prove he is in shape and ready to hit the field once he returns to the team.

Not being banned for 10 games is a huge positive for Gregory's future. The bigger win will be if he exits the treatment facility with the substance abuse problems completely in the rear view.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Given Gregory missed all of training camp and half of last season, I'm not latching much hope on him helping this year.

Where this appeal really helps is that now he's not one more suspension away from a 2 year suspension.

Hopefully he gets his shit together and becomes a good contributor next year.

But if I'm the cowboys I'm entering the next off-season assuming nothing from Gregory.

But of course a lot can change in the next few months. He has to get serious about his career first, though.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well, that's good news.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Making sense of the Randy Gregory reports

Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2016, 12:40 PM EDT

After Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram surmised that Cowboys defensive end Randy Gregory won the appeal of a 10-game suspension that would have been added to his pending four-game suspension, the national media machine kicked in to high gear, reporting that Gregory actually had won his appeal.

He apparently hasn’t.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, who initially was one of several who declared that Gregory won the appeal of his 10-game suspension, now “clarifies” his report by saying the appeal is still pending. (Is that how “Dewey Defeats Truman” was later “clarified?”)

The deeper problem is that, once a significant report emerges, outlets like NFL Media and ESPN mobilize to “confirm” the report, even if they sometimes don’t “confirm” a report but act as if they reported it first. (NFL Media, with all due respect, is the worst offender in this regard, always crediting one of its own guys and never acknowledging that one or more other outlets had it first. ESPN has improved significantly in this regard.)

ESPN’s reporting on this one is sloppy as well, with Dan Graziano saying that Gregory won his appeal and Ed Werder saying Gregory hasn’t been notified that he won the appeal and that there has never even been a hearing held on the issue. The article at ESPN.com mentions both reports but makes no effort to harmonize hopelessly conflicting nuggets.

Apparently, here’s the news: Gregory is now serving a four-game suspension. His 10-game suspension is still pending. So, basically, there’s no news. And yet it somehow became news, all because NFL Media and ESPN seized on Hill’s assumption and ran with it. Right into a wall.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well, that's not good news.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would hope the NFL would consider the substance and the fact that he voluntarily did rehab instead of playing all preseason.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Ooops yeah he apparently hasn't won his appeal, way to drop the ball ESPN. Though we had never even heard that he had been given a 10 game suspension that he was appealing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ooops yeah he apparently hasn't won his appeal, way to drop the ball ESPN. Though we had never even heard that he had been given a 10 game suspension that he was appealing.
Yeah, I had no idea he was handed 10 games at all. That's why I was wondering how he won an appeal for a suspension that I was still waiting to be handed down.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
A 10 game suspension and still zero effort to find a pass rush on the waiver wire.

Good God I hate our front office.

Top Bottom