2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I can't believe I live in a world where Donald Trump is a contender for the US presidency. This man has been a ridiculous joke literally my entire life. It's like living in some Watchmen inspired alternate universe. If he gets elected this is officially the darkest timeline.
He won't get elected, he'll get destroyed by whatever jerk the Democrats trot out. It'll just be the Republican Party that's a joke. Shouldn't be surprised after they've consistently spurned the Pauls just because they aren't all "OMG LETS BOMBS MUSLIMS"

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Our evaluation of presidents is too poisoned by political jockeying to see when we actually have a good president, or what the difference between a mediocre president and a terrible one would be.

We can ostensibly point to the Iran Nuclear deal (which has already paid dividends), the death of Osama Bin Laden, the limited economic recovery, the decline in service member casualties, and the deficit reductions since Obama came to office as successful. But there's literally nothing he could do that wouldn't be scorned by half the population. In the same way that a republican president can do no good in the eyes of the other half.

No one will admit it from either side, because they're too caught up in partisan politics, but Obama was the best president since Reagan. Neither was perfect but both were stable and efficient leaders that replaced bumbling fools who'd cratered the economy.
By your own response political experience has had little to do with a successful tenure for the presidency.

Jiggyfly

Banned
By your own response political experience has had little to do with a successful tenure for the presidency.
What does this have to do with anything if you are not using it to prop up Trump?

You claim you don't support him yet you keep making this argument when the only person being talked about is Trump.

What response are you fishing for?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What does this have to do with anything if you are not using it to prop up Trump?

You claim you don't support him yet you keep making this argument when the only person being talked about is Trump.

What response are you fishing for?
I am responding to Townsend and his anguish and fears over how tragic it would be for Trump to be elected with no political experience. I am fishing for nothing and it is Townsend that has brought up Trump. Maybe I should ask you what you are trying to imply.

townsend

Banned
How has the Iran nuclear deal paid dividends? Not questioning you, legitimately asking.
We had 10 sailors captured by Iran for crossing into their territory surrendered within days without incident, even the boat was returned, and 3 more American prisoners freed just a couple weeks ago.

I should have also mentioned the normalization of relations with Cuba as a huge success. Although we won't see dividends for a couple years when it becomes a huge tourist destination again. (Plus they apparently have had some medical innovations we could benefit from.)

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He won't get elected, he'll get destroyed by whatever jerk the Democrats trot out. It'll just be the Republican Party that's a joke. Shouldn't be surprised after they've consistently spurned the Pauls just because they aren't all "OMG LETS BOMBS MUSLIMS"
I'd be concerned if Trump got the nomination. Either that he would get rolled or that he would win. I hate both scenarios and I think they are both possible. The odd thing about Trump is that he seems to rally a lot of lower class people. Combine that with the business people who always lean Republican and you may be surprised. Ultimately I think the Republican machine will find a way to put a stop to Trump.

What a contrast Bernie Sanders and Trump would be though if they ran against each other. Talk about guys who just come off as polar opposite.

What we will likely get though is Hilary against some milk toast Republican candidate and everyone will rally around the idea of having the first female president just like they rallied around the idea of having the first black president.

townsend

Banned
I'm saying there's no reasonable metric for a "successful presidency", Which is to say you can't say political experience doesn't translate to success if there's no real barometer for success.

Trump would be an objectively terrible president, because he's remarkably unqualified. His struggles as a guy who has no business being the president are not the same as the subjective criticisms lobbed against every president.

What were talking about is a job so difficult no one can look good at it. But that doesn't mean anyone can do it. God save me, I'm going to use an analogy.

The presidency is a marathon, everyone looks like shit after a marathon, but that doesn't mean you'd do better if you had no experience running. The person who just says "yeah I can do that." Without any experience would shit himself and die before he gets halfway through.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm saying there's no reasonable metric for a "successful presidency", Which is to say you can't say political experience doesn't translate to success if there's no real barometer for success.

Trump would be an objectively terrible president, because he's remarkably unqualified. His struggles as a guy who has no business being the president are not the same as the subjective criticisms lobbed against every president.

What were talking about is a job so difficult no one can look good at it. But that doesn't mean anyone can do it. God save me, I'm going to use an analogy.

The presidency is a marathon, everyone looks like shit after a marathon, but that doesn't mean you'd do better if you had no experience running. The person who just says "yeah I can do that." Without any experience would shit himself and die before he gets halfway through.
The presidency is an executive job and the less they treat the job as a politician's balliwick the better they will be able to execute the office. It is called the executive branch for a reason. The most intelligent thing a President can do is to surround him/herself with competent people then listen to them. From that makeup comes executive decisions.

townsend

Banned
The presidency is an executive job and the less they treat the job as a politician's balliwick the better they will be able to execute the office. It is called the executive branch for a reason. The most intelligent thing a President can do is to surround him/herself with competent people then listen to them. From that makeup comes executive decisions.
Another reason why Trump is a miserable choice. The man's failures far out number his successes, in a field where success and failure are far less nebulous.

(http://fortune.com/2015/07/06/failed-trump-businesses/)
How am I to believe that a guy who can't sell steaks can assemble a team to lead a country? the guy's all hat and no cattle, he sells people on his brand and then quietly declares bankruptcy when things go tits up. That's really not an option for the U.S.

Hell W. managed to help turn the Rangers organization around, which seems like a better executive bullet point than most of Trump's, and he was a terrible president.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I am responding to Townsend and his anguish and fears over how tragic it would be for Trump to be elected with no political experience. I am fishing for nothing and it is Townsend that has brought up Trump. Maybe I should ask you what you are trying to imply.
Yes Towns brought him up and you replied twice.

You keep asking the same question regarding Trump so you are definitely looking for something.

Why else would you make the same statement twice?

I am implying that you must have some skin in the game on Trump because you seem hellbent on making a point about experience concerning Trump.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Once again taking up for Trump.:lol

It's obvious now what your point is.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Did you see anything about Trump in my response? I commented on the office of the Presidency and what I thought him or her should do. That's about as neutral as it can get. On the other hand Townsend continues to bring up Trump. Maybe you should pay more attention to what you read and sometimes just shut up. You are always looking for an argument about things that just aren't said.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Another reason why Trump is a miserable choice. The man's failures far out number his successes, in a field where success and failure are far less nebulous.

(http://fortune.com/2015/07/06/failed-trump-businesses/)
How am I to believe that a guy who can't sell steaks can assemble a team to lead a country? the guy's all hat and no cattle, he sells people on his brand and then quietly declares bankruptcy when things go tits up. That's really not an option for the U.S.

Hell W. managed to help turn the Rangers organization around, which seems like a better executive bullet point than most of Trump's, and he was a terrible president.
And this from a guy who was talking up financial responsibilities in another thread.

http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/showthread.php?4925-Another-serious-question-for-the-pros-here-medical-related&highlight=bankruptcy

Donald has openly gloated on how he got over on creditors.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
Did you see anything about Trump in my response? I commented on the office of the Presidency and what I thought him or her should do. That's about as neutral as it can get. On the other hand Townsend continues to bring up Trump. Maybe you should pay more attention to what you read and sometimes just shut up. You are always looking for an argument about things that just aren't said.
It's obvious your argument of experience is about Trump.

But just keep rolling with the neutral candidate thing.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's obvious your argument of experience is about Trump.

But just keep rolling with the neutral candidate thing.
You are hopeless. I could have inserted Ben Carson .

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
Trump was who I mentioned first, since he was so categorically unqualified. It is technically possible to have a successful president from outside the beltway, but they face a much harder climb. They're also less likely to have a Rolodex of qualified people at their disposal.

Like any other job the person who has experience in the industry will have a leg up on other candidates, and an outside hire will have a ton of makeup work to do. Going back to the marathon metaphor, a different kind of athlete could possibly jump into a marathon without training for it, but they will still struggle.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
You guys still don't get it.

Experience doesn't matter where the (R) is concerned. See Trump, Cruz, Rubio.

Obama was roasted for lack of experience. But (D).

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I get it though, with Cruz and the like. No foreign policy experience, but hey, saying he'll carpet bomb the Middle East gets the window licker's blood pumping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom