Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The robowink gif is greatness. :lol

Jiggyfly

Banned
Kind of uneven performance by Wentz. He made a couple of really nice throws, some were dropped which would've moved the chains, but I also think he showed some of the concerns that I have with him, namely that he locks onto WR's at times, not fully seeing the field, and his footwork can get stagnant.

I 100% want the guy at 4 but the hype is starting to get a bit out of control where it seems some of the consensus is starting to go towards him being the Browns pick at 2. The guy is a very legitimate prospect and the Browns could very well take him due to having the bigger arm between him and Goff with respect to the AFC North weather, as well as Jackson's experience with a guy like Flacco, but I don't think he's a guy who is ready to go win games for you right out of the gate without sitting for a bit.

Yea, he's big as fuck, has a big arm, very athletic, great intangibles, but he does not see the field or go through progressions as well as Goff right now, nor is he as good as Goff at moving around in the pocket to buy that extra second to get a pass off. Those are two huge things when it comes to playing QB in the NFL.

Again, I'm all on board with him at 4 and I'm kind of glad that he didn't completely kill it during the game because it makes it that much more likely that the Browns take Goff and/or that some team doesn't lose their mind and give up an entire draft to trade up in front of us, but he is still the relatively raw prospect who needs a year or two on the bench first, despite the media hype.
I agree with you totally except I am not all in on him at 4.

I like the idea of his potential at 4 but I am not seeing "IT" he looks a bit mechanical and some of his sideline throws look like picks on the next level because he trusts him arm so much.

I don't know if the recivers were not getting open or play design but I would have liked to see some more downfield stuff.

He is more raw than I thought, Goff looks way more polished and comfortable, I am not against taking him at 4 but it's looking like more of a gamble.

He is definitley raw

Jiggyfly

Banned
Goff is probably the most well-schooled and prepared to play now.

Wentz or Lynch need development. Isn't that what we have? Time?

Three years of Romo, it's not a damn debate guys?
Are you sure either develops?

Not saying he won't but using a 4 on a guy hoping he develops should give pause.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yes, but on the Prescott TD drive, they called combination routes including slant patterns on three consecutive plays to attack the soft coverages.

It is not that Jay Lee from Baylor is better than Braxton Miller. He's being given better opportunities to make plays.
Yeah there was a real difference in the passing game between the 2 teams.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I felt like our offensive play calling improved as the game went on though. I don't know that they were intentionally tanking it for Wentz but it was like we started out with a bunch of very designed pass stuff that didn't really work. And then as the game progressed we kind of let our QBs actually throw the ball and called much different plays. I think we clearly thought the designed short passing game would eat up the soft coverage but it ended up just looking like shit.

We also throw more short quick outs then any team ever should. I absolutely hate that stuff. It's a play with very low reward and a high risk of a pick six. I liked a lot of what I saw from Wentz though. Guys just need to catch the ball and NFL receivers are much better at doing that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Are you sure either develops?

Not saying he won't but using a 4 on a guy hoping he develops should give pause.
I think the top three guys will all be pretty good. Lynch might end up being the best. But they all have to be handled right.

junk

Not So New Member
I think the top three guys will all be pretty good. Lynch might end up being the best. But they all have to be handled right.
No worries. Wade Wilson and Jason got this.

Wade Wilson developed Kyle Orton, you know. Kyle Orton!

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Hogan looks like a QB who could be a very good backup in the NFL for a long time. Not a super strong arm but he avoids pressure and reads the defense well. I like him. A QB who I actually wouldn't mind taking late in the draft.
Hogan is the one I mentioned last week as being my favorite in the middle rounds if we passed on QB in the first.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
10 Senior Bowl observations: Jason Garrett improvised after calling Zack Martin's brother by wrong name

By Jon Machota , Staff Writer Contact Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota

MOBILE, Ala. -- The Dallas Cowboys coaching staff worked with the Senior Bowl's North team this past week.

Here are some highlights of the sights and sounds from their three days of practices.

1.) Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli's individual drills were as entertaining as they are in training camp. Here's an expletive-free example of what Marinelli was shouting during a pass-rushing drill where players slap at tackling bags: "Don't be too perfect. Let it go. Let it go. Burst! Not good enough! Strike it! Burst!" ... Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin enjoyed the Marinelli individual drills as much as anyone. Tomlin, who was on Tampa Bay's coaching staff with Marinelli from 2001-2005, watched those sessions closely Wednesday and Thursday. In the middle of a drill Thursday morning, Marinelli saw Tomlin and yelled: "Morning, Mike T!" Tomlin: "What's up, Rod?" A little later, Marinelli shouted, "Mike T, expect a little greatness, huh?" As Cowboys assistant coach Leon Lett showed the group how to do a drill Wednesday, Marinelli yelled to Tomlin: "I bet you'd like to sign this guy."

2.) Braxton Miller explained what Garrett and wide receivers coach Derek Dooley were talking to him about during Tuesday's practice. "Stop doing too much in my releases sometimes," Miller said. "Just use my speed, because it's a scary thing when I use my speed. Coach Garrett said, 'It's a good thing when you use your speed now. You get a lot of separation, so start using it.' Just little details like that, so that's why I started catching on, use my speed."

3.) The North team's top running back, Louisiana Tech's Kenneth Dixon, said he liked the coaching he received from Cowboys running backs coach Gary Brown. "Coach Brown did a great job with us, teaching us technique and everything," he said. "I liked all the drills. He's a very technical guy. I just like how precise he works on the technique. I like how he informed ball security."

4.) Dixon on if he could see himself playing for the Cowboys: "I can see myself playing anywhere, but I can see myself playing for the Dallas Cowboys, with their great line and Tony Romo leading the charge, and Coach Garrett leading a great organization. ... Coach Garrett is a great guy. Great leader for that organization. I like him."

5.) Ohio State tight end Nick Vannett on Garrett: "He's great. He makes an effort to talk to every one of the players. We've had a few exchanges and he's been very helpful. If I do something wrong, he'll pull me over. He's pretty hands on for a head coach."

6.) Cowboys right guard Zack Martin's brother, Nick Martin, was on the North team. Did Garrett ever accidentally call him Zack? "I have called him Zack," Garrett said with a smile. "'Set the huddle, Zack.' I caught myself. I call him Notre Dame now."

7.) Wednesday and Thursday practices were aired on ESPN3. Cowboys coaches were wearing microphones during both sessions. During a drill between the offensive and defensive line, Garrett noted that it didn't sound the same way as it does at Cowboys practice. "It sounded a little soft to me," Garrett said. "You've got to come off and strike each other. It's a violent game. You're trying to teach these guys to be violent and play with a physical nature."

8.) Garrett to a group of receivers, on finishing a play: "Catch the ball and finish. There's 32 football teams looking at you guys, every move you make. Finish. Are you tired? You're not tired, are you? Come on now. You guys have got to finish."

9.) Offensive line coach Frank Pollack, talking to the linemen about not being on the ground: "Remember, if you're on the ground, you're telling the whole league you can't play in this league. You've got to be able to stay up and be on your feet. You do nobody any good being on the ground."

10.) Garrett's message to the team after the final practice: "Every interaction you have with your teammates, our coaches, the guys on the other side of the ball, the people in Mobile, scouts and coaches from other teams who are here, just make sure you show them who you are and the best version of who you are."

Top Bottom