MLB Chatter Thread

D

Deuce

I'm happy for the Padres. They've been bad for long enough. All this extra hitting makes me want to keep Tyson Ross in the keeper league.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Padres?! Damn, nice to see them acting like one of the big boys. Hopefully they can make some real noise in the NL West this year.

Who in the hell is going to play CF though? Matt Kemp and his arthritic hips? Isn't going to be JUp or Myers. Almost has to be Kemp. That's far from ideal at this point in his career given the injuries he's had/the condition of his hips.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Now the Pads are sending Hanigan to Boston for Middlebrooks. I like this deal too.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Tulo for Syndergaard being talked about again.
Do you really think the Mets are going to add a guy that's making 20 million/year the next 5 seasons? And who's coming off hip injuries? And give up prospects for him? It would go against everything they've done the last few years. I can't see it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Do you really think the Mets are going to add a guy that's making 20 million/year the next 5 seasons? And who's coming off hip injuries? And give up prospects for him? It would go against everything they've done the last few years. I can't see it.
No, but I think they can do something like the Padres did with Kemp. LA is giving them some money to offset the deal. I would not give up a big pile of prospects for him either, I don't think Alderson will, but I'd give up Syndergaard for him and some money.

Carp

DCC 4Life
NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees traded their starting second baseman Martin Prado to the Miami Marlins for starting pitcher Nathan Eovaldi as part of a five-player deal, the teams announced Friday.

The trade is Prado and pitcher David Phelps going to the Marlins in exchange for the 24-year-old Eovaldi, first baseman/outfielder Garrett Jones and minor league pitching prospect Domingo German.

With the trade, the Yankees appear as if they will let prospects Rob Refsnyder and Jose Pirela fight it out to be the team's second baseman. Scouts believe in both of their bats, but there are questions about their gloves. The Yanks have also picked up Cole Figueroa and Nick Noonan as possibilities this winter.

With the Marlins in 2014, Eovaldi threw nearly 200 innings, finishing 6-14 with a 4.37 ERA. His 223 hits allowed were the most in the National League. His fastball has been clocked in the upper 90s.

He will slot into the Yankees rotation along with Masahiro Tanaka, CC Sabathia, Michael Pineda, Chris Capuano and Ivan Nova.

The group enters with questions regarding Tanaka's and Nova's elbows, as well as Sabathia's knee. Coming off of Tommy John surgery, Nova will not be available until late May. The Yankees may need Eovaldi to approach 200 innings again.

In Prado, the Marlins receive a versatile player who can either play second or third on the field.

Prado, 31, played very well for the Yankees, hitting .316 with seven homers in 37 games. His season ended early because of an appendectomy. He has said there is no lingering issue.

Phelps will provide the Marlins with either a starter or a reliever. In his three-year career, Phelps, 28, is 15-14 with a 4.21 ERA.

The arrival of Jones to the Yankees could further diminish the role of Alex Rodriguez. Jones plays first and the outfield.

The Yankees have already displaced A-Rod from starting at third with Chase Headley, but had talked about Rodriguez possibly backing up at third and first. With Jones on board, it seems doubtful Rodriguez will need to learn first base in the spring. Having a backup first baseman could help New York, as the Yankees lacked a true backup this past season, which hurt them when Mark Teixeira was hurt on multiple occasions.

Jones also could challenge Rodriguez for at-bats as designated hitter.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Don't want to give up Syndergaard. Too excited about dominant rotation.

Would only move him for mid-20s player, not a guy entering his 30s. That gets you a playoff run not a ring.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Don't want to give up Syndergaard. Too excited about dominant rotation.

Would only move him for mid-20s player, not a guy entering his 30s. That gets you a playoff run not a ring.
I understand that, but we already have Harvey, Wheeler, and deGrom...with Matz also coming up. We have plenty of pitching, so I'd trade him to get an impact bat. Tulo could be that, but he is not the only bat I would have interest in...I'd have to see who else came available.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Padres might flip Myers to Philly for Hamels now.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Braves to sign AJ Pierzynski.

Merry Christmas 1bigfan!

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Braves to sign AJ Pierzynski.

Merry Christmas 1bigfan!
AJ is one of those guys that refuses to retire. He's the Jamie Moyer of catchers.

As an aside, Dan Uggla is taking his "talents" to Washington. So there's a bit of good news for the Braves and the rest of the NL East.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Just checked and saw that Pierzynski is only 37 years old. Feels like he's been around for 20 years.

D

Deuce

Rays signed Asdrubal Cabrera for 1 year, $8M. This should lead to either Zobrist moving to the OF permanently or, more likely, him or Escobar being traded. I would prefer Zobrist go.

Carp

DCC 4Life
HOF announcements today...Randy Johnson, Pedro, Raines, and Smoltz seem like locks...sure hope Piazza gets in.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Pedro is one of my favorite players of all time and the most dominating pitcher I ever saw when he was in his prime.

Who the hell throws a 98 mph cutter then comes back with a 67 mph change up?

What other pitcher could say that they threw the best ball in the game....for multiple pitches at the same time?

Hats off to Pedro, one of the all time greats.

Last edited:
Top Bottom