2014 College Football Chatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Golson looking to possibly transfer to LSU.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The wheels of change are starting to spin in Norman. Jay Norvell, who was the WR coach and co-OC, was fired today.

He was actually one of our better recruiters, IMO. However you can't argue with the fact that players have struggled to perform and develop under his tutelage.

Also, Stoops has a presser scheduled for tomorrow. Word is there may be more changes announced at that time.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
T
The wheels of change are starting to spin in Norman. Jay Norvell, who was the WR coach and co-OC, was fired today.

He was actually one of our better recruiters, IMO. However you can't argue with the fact that players have struggled to perform and develop under his tutelage.

Also, Stoops has a presser scheduled for tomorrow. Word is there may be more changes announced at that time.
You have to make changes. OU has been disappointing for a few years.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Gibbs to Tech with Spav in tow is official.

Jinks will be elevated to associate head coach.

Mike Smith will return to his role as the co-DC with Gibbs.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:towel

1bigfan13

Staff member

Gary Gibbs former Sooners HC after the Switzer years. :lol

Good times.

Gibbs was decent but he just didn't win enough to follow Switzer and to appease the Sooners fan base.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Gary Gibbs former Sooners HC after the Switzer years. :lol

Good times.

Gibbs was decent but he just didn't win enough to follow Switzer and to appease the Sooners fan base.
Uh no. Different guy. Tech hired David Gibbs.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The University of Houston offered defensive coordinator David Gibbs a significant pay increase in an effort to keep him, a person with knowledge of the situation said Monday night.

Gibbs was offered a new two-year deal worth $1.15 million. His $575,000 annual salary - an increase of $175,000 from his previous contract - would have kept Gibbs the highest paid assistant coach in the American Athletic Conference.

Also part of the deal was defensive play-calling duties and ability to keep one member of his current staff.

In the end, however, Gibbs said "it was time for a new challenge," presumably as defensive coordinator at Texas Tech.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
[MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION] it looks like Heupel has been canned. I hope you are happy now.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It is truly sad that Tech is in this spot but the big time boosters and supporters are literally estatic about the Gibbs hire. We haven't had a legit staff in a while it seems. It seems like this program has been starved for defensive substance for a while now. We will see how it goes going forward. We still don't have a DL to speak of. Hopefully all of those pups that played this year will grow up a bit. If we can become a top 60 defense it will be a miracle this year. Besides one game those kids played their asses off. They just simple sucked and couldn't help it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
[MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION] it looks like Heupel has been canned. I hope you are happy now.
I certainly am if this is true. He kept trying to make calls based on a style of offense that OU no longer has the personnel to pull it off. It had become embarrasing just to watch it.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Not quite.

I'm patiently waiting for defensive coaches to start getting the axe. Namely Mike Stoops.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not quite.

I'm patiently waiting for defensive coaches to start getting the axe. Namely Mike Stoops.
I agree but i dont get to enthused about this happening because of the nepotism.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I agree but i dont get to enthused about this happening because of the nepotism.
Just read some of the comments from Stoops press conference and it appears that Mike Stoops is staying on as co-defensive coordinator.

The window is still open for Mike to leave for another job. I actually get the impression that Stoops is just stalling for time because he doesn't want to fire his brother. That's why I think he appointed Montgomery to co-defensive coordinator.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Just read some ofcomments from Stoops press conference and it appears that Mike Stoops is staying on as co-defensive coordinator.

The window is still open for Mike leave for another job. I actually get the impression that Stoops is just stalling for time because he doesn't want to fire his brother. That's why I think he appointed Montgomery to co-defensive coordinator.
I agree. I think Bob might like to replace him but would prefer some one else hire him. Nepotism is a destroyer of objectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom