2016 Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Financial aspects that could also be worked out in a trade to an extent.

There is also the question of what to do at backup QB if we let Romo go. Sanchez obviously can't be trusted to play and who knows what the deal with Moore is.

Someone will come calling for Romo eventually, it's just a matter of whether or not Jerry is willing to trade Romo to a team Tony may not necessarily want to go to because of his emotional attachment to him. I'd send Romo to any damn team if the price was right but I'm sure Jerry views it differently.
Trading him would be the same thing as releasing him, financially for the most part.

But for the crowed that thinks you only save 5 mil in cap space, it's not worth dumping Romo for that, they have no clue how the salary cap works. The cap should never be viewed at from a specific year perspective like that. Money can be pushed from one cap to the next by restructuring and unused free space can be carried from one season to the next.

So even if we only save 5 mil on the cap next year. You need to consider the cap savings in 2018 and 2019 as well. For example right now Romo is scheduled to count 25.2 mil against our cap in 2018. If we cut/trade Romo in the off season that number should be reduced to zero. He is scheduled to count 23.7 in 2019, again that number goes down to zero. So getting rid of Romo doesn't produce a "real cap" savings of 3 mil as someone said earlier on here. That would be a total lack of understanding of the salary cap. In the end the real savings you make against the cap is 54 mil by cutting/trading him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Financial aspects that could also be worked out in a trade to an extent.

There is also the question of what to do at backup QB if we let Romo go. Sanchez obviously can't be trusted to play and who knows what the deal with Moore is.

Someone will come calling for Romo eventually, it's just a matter of whether or not Jerry is willing to trade Romo to a team Tony may not necessarily want to go to because of his emotional attachment to him. I'd send Romo to any damn team if the price was right but I'm sure Jerry views it differently.
No team is going to trade for Romo if he does not want to be there, we are not talking about a robot here, Romo has some leverage here as well.

He can just retire instead of going to any dam team.

I would be more than fine looking for another backup QB while saving between 10 and 25 million dollars against the cap over the next 2 years.

And if Romo is as fragile as most think he would not be a reliable backup anyway and you could possibly be on the hook longer with that contract.

This is not some random lineman we are talking about the face of the franchise over the last 10 years, there will have to be some considerations made.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It's not his call.

But you get basically the same savings if you release him "the following year" IIRC.

Would I rather trade Romo? Yes, but not for peanuts. If I don't get a deal I like this year I keep him and trade him next year for whatever and get my cap savings.
But releasing him this offseason is plain stupid.
You get the most cap savings the 2nd year after he is traded or released.

If you wait till next year those savings are pushed further down the road.

No its stupid to carry a back up making 25 million a year "Just in case".

And its stupid to think there would be no issues trying to bring Romo back as the backup.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't imagine releasing him in this market. I'd hold onto him until someone was ready to trade. Romo's a commodity worth holding onto. After seeing what Minnesota paid for Sam fucking Bradford, there's at least a 2nd or better we could get from one of several teams that are just a good QB away from playoff contention.

That isn't even accounting for injuries that might derail a competitive team (like Minnesota and Dallas had this year.)
Yeah there has to be someone out there willing to trade for Romo. I wouldn't just release him until I absolutely had to. Look at the Eagles who held onto Sam Bradford right up until the season was about to start and then they traded him. They got a first but if they had traded him at the beginning of free agency they couldn't get anything close to that pick. So it's going to be a bit of a game of chicken with Romo. Hold onto him to long and no one may be in the market. But trade him too quickly and you may miss a better opportunity.

townsend

Banned
No team is going to trade for Romo if he does not want to be there, we are not talking about a robot here, Romo has some leverage here as well.

He can just retire instead of going to any dam team.

I would be more than fine looking for another backup QB while saving between 10 and 25 million dollars against the cap over the next 2 years.

And if Romo is as fragile as most think he would not be a reliable backup anyway and you could possibly be on the hook longer with that contract.

This is not some random lineman we are talking about the face of the franchise over the last 10 years, there will have to be some considerations made.
There are enough decent teams out there that Romo should be interested in going to. Yeah it'd be a son of a bitch move to trade him to Cleveland.

But Houston, Denver, Miami, and Arizona all look like teams that are a good QB away from serious playoff contention. Hell, even LA and Chicago and the Jets could be teams Romo could make competitive. I think he wants to be a starter, and we should try and set him up with the best place to start, but he should have enormous trade value. We are the only team that has a readymade top tier starting QB to trade, think of what we were on the verge of giving up for Nick freaking Foles this offseason.

townsend

Banned
Yeah there has to be someone out there willing to trade for Romo. I wouldn't just release him until I absolutely had to. Look at the Eagles who held onto Sam Bradford right up until the season was about to start and then they traded him. They got a first but if they had traded him at the beginning of free agency they couldn't get anything close to that pick. So it's going to be a bit of a game of chicken with Romo. Hold onto him to long and no one may be in the market. But trade him too quickly and you may miss a better opportunity.
I think I'd prefer to deal him earlier, out of respect, I'd prefer the team set up Romo for success, as long as we don't give him away. God knows we haven't managed to successfully trade a player for a pick since Herschel Walker. So I'm a little scared of us handing over for a 6th rounder. But if we can sell the idea that we're intent on keeping him unless someone's willing to change our mind, which seems to be the angle Jerry's taking, we should be able to get value.

This seems to be a situation where we should be taking calls not making them.

Jiggyfly

Banned
There are enough decent teams out there that Romo should be interested in going to. Yeah it'd be a son of a bitch move to trade him to Cleveland.

But Houston, Denver, Miami, and Arizona all look like teams that are a good QB away from serious playoff contention. Hell, even LA and Chicago and the Jets could be teams Romo could make competitive. I think he wants to be a starter, and we should try and set him up with the best place to start, but he should have enormous trade value. We are the only team that has a readymade top tier starting QB to trade, think of what we were on the verge of giving up for Nick freaking Foles this offseason.
There are multiple teams out there but how many of them want to give up valuable assets for Romo, especially when they know he will not be back with Dallas next year.

Anything over a 3rd and I am ecstatic, but there has to be the ability to move up with the pick depending on how well Romo does.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I'd prefer to deal him earlier, out of respect, I'd prefer the team set up Romo for success, as long as we don't give him away. God knows we haven't managed to successfully trade a player for a pick since Herschel Walker. So I'm a little scared of us handing over for a 6th rounder. But if we can sell the idea that we're intent on keeping him unless someone's willing to change our mind, which seems to be the angle Jerry's taking, we should be able to get value.

This seems to be a situation where we should be taking calls not making them.
I'd draw the line at a second or third. If we don't get an offer in that ball park I probably hold tight for awhile. I'd imagine at least a couple of teams will be interested right off the bat though and that should allow us to at least get up to a third rounder.

townsend

Banned
I'd draw the line at a second or third. If we don't get an offer in that ball park I probably hold tight for awhile. I'd imagine at least a couple of teams will be interested right off the bat though and that should allow us to at least get up to a third rounder.
That's what I'd assume should happen.

I just hope Jerry can land it. He's hasn't been able to close a deal in a very long time.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Trading him would be the same thing as releasing him, financially for the most part.

But for the crowed that thinks you only save 5 mil in cap space, it's not worth dumping Romo for that, they have no clue how the salary cap works. The cap should never be viewed at from a specific year perspective like that. Money can be pushed from one cap to the next by restructuring and unused free space can be carried from one season to the next.

So even if we only save 5 mil on the cap next year. You need to consider the cap savings in 2018 and 2019 as well. For example right now Romo is scheduled to count 25.2 mil against our cap in 2018. If we cut/trade Romo in the off season that number should be reduced to zero. He is scheduled to count 23.7 in 2019, again that number goes down to zero. So getting rid of Romo doesn't produce a "real cap" savings of 3 mil as someone said earlier on here. That would be a total lack of understanding of the salary cap. In the end the real savings you make against the cap is 54 mil by cutting/trading him.
Please do explain, from OTC I get that cut/trade Romo this offseason gets 19.6 in dead money and 5.1 in savings; cut/trade him 2018 8.9 in dead money and 16.3 in savings that would make at most a 14 mill difference holding out for a trade right? 2019 doesn't figure in either scenario or?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please do explain, from OTC I get that cut/trade Romo this offseason gets 19.6 in dead money and 5.1 in savings; cut/trade him 2018 8.9 in dead money and 16.3 in savings that would make at most a 14 mill difference holding out for a trade right? 2019 doesn't figure in either scenario or?
Well the easiest way to put it is that the money that has already been paid to Romo will count against the cap at some point. So what you have left are the base salaries. Those are what you can avoid from ever hitting the cap. Next year Romo's base salary is 14 million. In 2018 his base salary is 19.5 million. In 2019 his base salary is going to be 20.5 million.

So ultimately the difference between cutting him in 2017 and 2018 is really 14 million dollars. 14 mil is in the range of a franchise tag for most positions other then QB. So what you're really sacrificing is a franchise player next year.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Well the easiest way to put it is that the money that has already been paid to Romo will count against the cap at some point. So what you have left are the base salaries. Those are what you can avoid from ever hitting the cap. Next year Romo's base salary is 14 million. In 2018 his base salary is 19.5 million. In 2019 his base salary is going to be 20.5 million.

So ultimately the difference between cutting him in 2017 and 2018 is really 14 million dollars. 14 mil is in the range of a franchise tag for most positions other then QB. So what you're really sacrificing is a franchise player next year.
But you only get 5 mill for 2017 right? The 14 mill total would be for both years, the savings (5mill) of 2017 and the "non-dead" money (9mill) in 2018, if I understand correctly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But you only get 5 mill for 2017 right? The 14 mill total would be for both years, the savings (5mill) of 2017 and the "non-dead" money (9mill) in 2018, if I understand correctly.
Sort of, but you can't think of it linearly like that in the NFL. Because cap space can be passed from one year to the next you can think of it as an extra 14 in 2018 or you can simply restructure a contract to move the 14 mil into 2017. Either way it equates to a year of a franchise level player. A Ware/Dez or whoever in their prime. You can take one of them or you can have Romo as a backup for that year. Seems like a pretty obvious choice to me.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member