2016 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deuce

You stay in the way you get in. Bring some lube.

Heh, you don't get it. Please lay out a comprehensive plan for us here (be sure to include the consideration of Texas politics) and I'll review it and send it up to my good buddy Hance. Right @Iamtdg ?
I don't know Texas politics but I can't be too far off from Florida politics and how state legislature has prevented tons of research funding to UCF and USF because their UF alumni in Tallahassee were scared it would make us better than them in a single subject.

Want to stop being UT's bitch? Don't let them. When it comes to expansion votes, don't sit back and wait for them to tell you how to vote and abstain from voting since they did. Go in with an idea of what will eventually save the conference and act on it. Big 12 would already have a plan in place if TT would have stood up and voted last go round. They are going to have their way regardless and maybe pissing them off and letting them move to independent would eventually be the best scenario for everyone. A Big12 minus UT, but adding UCF, Cincy and someone else has a lot less cache but still is good enough to be P5 and would make people a hell of a lot happier without big brother standing over them.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't know Texas politics but I can't be too far off from Florida politics and how state legislature has prevented tons of research funding to UCF and USF because their UF alumni in Tallahassee were scared it would make us better than them in a single subject.

Want to stop being UT's bitch? Don't let them. When it comes to expansion votes, don't sit back and wait for them to tell you how to vote and abstain from voting since they did. Go in with an idea of what will eventually save the conference and act on it. Big 12 would already have a plan in place if TT would have stood up and voted last go round. They are going to have their way regardless and maybe pissing them off and letting them move to independent would eventually be the best scenario for everyone. A Big12 minus UT, but adding UCF, Cincy and someone else has a lot less cache but still is good enough to be P5 and would make people a hell of a lot happier without big brother standing over them.
When a deal was in place for the PAC12 (or whatever it was then) with TTU they were going with their buddy UT. I know you don't get it but you would do the same exact thing if you were in the SEC. Florida would tell you what to do and you would have no choice. Now if you were FSU things would be different.

Believe it or not TTU has voted against UT many times. There is really good reason to stay at 10 right now. You don't want to expand in Texas if you are in Texas. Opening up for additional suitors could lead to just that. Bad idea. Also, gaining weak partners does nothing to help. That is all that is left right now.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Hance loves Whataburger.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The Big 12 is unstable. We are a one team conference right now. I simply cannot understate how much UT has don't to weaken us. Losing aTm, Colorado, Mizzu and Nebraska was very very big. Adding TCU did nothing for the conference...lose aTm and gain TCU? Terrible trade off. Nebraska is obviously a big brand with tons of support.

Gaining TCU and WVU (who is 1,000,000 miles away from everyone else) is a bummer. Tell me, why would Nebraska and aTm leave if UT wasn't constantly throwing their weight around. The Aggots are weird and all but they just got tired of the crap.

Not having a championship game, not having a conference network (UT owns it), not having expansion partners, watered down league and what else? There is plenty but that is enough. I mean, we are looking at taking leftovers and nomads right now. Does Cinci, UConn or the Florida teams excite you? We are screwed in the unstable conference.
Every conference has their personal contenders and bottom feeders. A championship game can be successfully accomplished with teams like Cincinnati, U Conn and a smattering of Florida teams in the conference. The SEC as an example has Alabama, LSU, Auburn etc. as the annual contenders and others just belonging in the conference.

I don't see how the BIG 12 would be any different. Oklahoma, TCU, Baylor and Texas will be the perennials and others would be conference opponents. I see the conference as having enough big boys to continue to be one of the elite conferences. The Texas lock on the network is a seperate problem and I am not sure what the solution might be but if they continue their slide in competing they may become vulnerable enough to overturn their exclusive rights.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Every conference has their personal contenders and bottom feeders. A championship game can be successfully accomplished with teams like Cincinnati, U Conn and a smattering of Florida teams in the conference. The SEC as an example has Alabama, LSU, Auburn etc. as the annual contenders and others just belonging in the conference.

I don't see how the BIG 12 would be any different. Oklahoma, TCU, Baylor and Texas will be the perennials and others would be conference opponents. I see the conference as having enough big boys to continue to be one of the elite conferences. The Texas lock on the network is a seperate problem and I am not sure what the solution might be but if they continue their slide in competing they may become vulnerable enough to overturn their exclusive rights.
Well, the conferences that those teams came from didn't succeed. You can't tell me that there isn't a difference between the schools that left the Big 12 and the ones that may come. It is a huge loss. I want to be in a conference with as many national powers as possible. That does nothing but make things better for everyone involved as well as longevity. If we take the other schools we are looking more like the Confeence USA than the Big 12.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well, the conferences that those teams came from didn't succeed. You can't tell me that there isn't a difference between the schools that left the Big 12 and the ones that may come. It is a huge loss. I want to be in a conference with as many national powers as possible. That does nothing but make things better for everyone involved as well as longevity. If we take the other schools we are looking more like the Confeence USA than the Big 12.
I have a differing opinion as to the image of the BIG 12 in the eyes of the college football world. I think they are regarded well as is and wouldn't be harmed by adding teams like U Conn.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I have a differing opinion as to the image of the BIG 12 in the eyes of the college football world. I think they are regarded well as is and wouldn't be harmed by adding teams like U Conn.
It really isn't completely about the success of the football teams in the immediate either.

How many people watch them on TV, do they live in large cities but can't fill up their stadium, what sort of school are they, what about other sports...? Lots to consider.

D

Deuce

It really isn't completely about the success of the football teams in the immediate either.

How many people watch them on TV, do they live in large cities but can't fill up their stadium, what sort of school are they, what about other sports...? Lots to consider.
It's all about making money. That's why the only real options, imo, are Cincy, UCF and USF. UConn offers nothing in terms of anything other than a solid basketball team. Memphis is the same, only in a shittier area and with less academic support. BYU would be a great option but their hesitancy to bend on their own TV network deals and their insistence on not playing any sports on Sundays will ultimately make them impossible to deal with. Colorado State brings academics, but no real awareness. They will give you Wyoming markets (:lol) but not Denver.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Big 12 does well with basketball,wrestling, track and field and baseball. They also compete well in the ladies sports.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It's all about making money. That's why the only real options, imo, are Cincy, UCF and USF. UConn offers nothing in terms of anything other than a solid basketball team. Memphis is the same, only in a shittier area and with less academic support. BYU would be a great option but their hesitancy to bend on their own TV network deals and their insistence on not playing any sports on Sundays will ultimately make them impossible to deal with. Colorado State brings academics, but no real awareness. They will give you Wyoming markets (:lol) but not Denver.
BYU is the best and 1st choice IMO.

D

Deuce

Big 12 does well with basketball,wrestling, track and field and baseball. They also compete well in the ladies sports.
Which is another reason UConn won't be a real contender. 1 weekend a year traveling for football is one thing, but Kansas, Baylor and the like don't want to ship their wrestling team or soccer teams up there if they don't have to. People think traveling to West Virginia is a pain in the ass, wait til you get to New Haven.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Which is another reason UConn won't be a real contender. 1 weekend a year traveling for football is one thing, but Kansas, Baylor and the like don't want to ship their wrestling team or soccer teams up there if they don't have to. People think traveling to West Virginia is a pain in the ass, wait til you get to New Haven.
Isn't that up there by your homeland?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Fine with me. I'm not crazy with the idea of U Conn coming to the BIG 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom