2016 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Not sure if it was posted but on NFL network they said that they learned that the Ravens would have taken Elliot at 4 had they been able to trade with Cowboys.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Incredible that less than a year ago this brain trust was convinced this offense would function just fine with a a jackleg like Randle. And now they go up and tell us how we needed to use a #4 overall because this back will let us play a certain style.

I love the player and I know he'll help us, but what an about-face for this ridiculous front office.
It's because they base their decisions on reactionary emotions. They knee-jerk. They don't really have a plan, so they wing it, and make ridiculously broad stroke decisions hoping to paint the whole wall in one stroke.

Now, with that being said, I love the pick, and think they painted a good portion of the wall last night with one pick. Plus, they stayed away from Ramsey, which shocked and impressed me all at the same time.

Cotton

Staff member
I hope it doesn't take him any time to adjust to running in our offense. What they run at Ohio State is such a goofy junk offense.
But, they do run a ZBS, so I don't think it will take him long.

Cotton

Staff member
Not sure if it was posted but on NFL network they said that they learned that the Ravens would have taken Elliot at 4 had they been able to trade with Cowboys.
Yeah, Jerry said as much. He also said that they told him the player they were after when they were in the trade talks, so they wouldn't have made the trade regardless.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Incredible that less than a year ago this brain trust was convinced this offense would function just fine with a a jackleg like Randle. And now they go up and tell us how we needed to use a #4 overall because this back will let us play a certain style.

I love the player and I know he'll help us, but what an about-face for this ridiculous front office.
They have no vision and are alway chasing their tail.

They stumble onto some success, inevitably get cute the next year, then spend the next few offseasons addressing the weaknesses exposed the previous year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea that would definitely explain alot, otherwise why wouldn't you take an extra 3rd or 4th to move down just 2 spots?

You don't do it only if you think Ramsey and Elliott will be gone at 6, which would require either the Ravens taking Elliott/Jags taking Ramsey as they did or the Jaguars trading out with somebody who wants Elliott after the Ravens take Ramsey.

They probably didn't think the drop from Ramsey/Elliott to Rankins/Lawson/Hargreaves was worth a 3rd, 4th or whatever the Ravens were offering.

Cotton

Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
How is that going to happen? He is with the Eagles and every game will have some affect on the Cowboys.
Pre season mainly but also if they need to beat another divisional opponent such as the Skins or Giants.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member
Just as well. I don't want any of them at 34. Dodd, Ogbah, Reed, or Robinson and they can completely fuck up the rest of the draft and I still give it a high grade.

dallen

Senior Tech
Good. Too many guys without the risk available. We need to be treating this like a second 1st rounder. This isn't Jerry's play time

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Just as well. I don't want any of them at 34. Dodd, Ogbah, Reed, or Robinson and they can completely fuck up the rest of the draft and I still give it a high grade.
Yea we get Ogbah or Dodd today and I won't care if we waste a pick on Prescott later

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Pre season mainly but also if they need to beat another divisional opponent such as the Skins or Giants.
And then you have the division tiebreakers as well. Just not feasible to root for the Eagles.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member
From SI:

Not many teams would have been willing to splurge on a three-down back with no weakness at No. 4 overall, but the Cowboys should thank Jerry Jones for falling in love with such a special runner. He's not as purely explosive as Todd Gurley, but Elliott is a complete power-and-speed back who will keep bursting through big holes opened by Dallas' elite run-blocking line.

Elliott is an immediate heavy favorite for Rookie of the Year and can help put a healthy Tony Romo back in the playoffs.

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4703748-nfl-draft-2016-best-picks-cowboys-vikings-broncos-raiders-49ers/slide/1

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But, they do run a ZBS, so I don't think it will take him long.
So did the Eagles for Murray last year. It's the only running from shotgun and lining up next to the QB stuff. Never having a FB. Just such a goofy offense there. Even the handoffs that they have are different.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really sucks to have been that close to completing that trade. I really think Lynch had a good shot at being the next franchise QB here. Hopefully Denver doesn't ruin him throwing him to the wolves right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom