Archer: New year, same running back need for Cowboys

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
New year, same running back need for Cowboys

Feb 24, 2016
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- A year ago at the NFL scouting combine, DeMarco Murray dominated talk about the Dallas Cowboys' offseason plans.

Wherever Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones or Jason Garrett went, questions about Murray, who led the NFL in rushing in 2014 with 1,845 yards, followed. Murray’s agents were constantly being asked for updates.

The Cowboys eventually drew a line on how much they would offer Murray, and the Philadelphia Eagles jumped over it by a wide margin.

This week at the NFL combine, quarterback possibilities dominate the Cowboys talk, but running back remains a big question.

Last year, the Cowboys filled their running back need in free agency with Darren McFadden. This year, will they look to free agency or the draft to fill the same need? Rob Foldy/Getty Images

Darren McFadden ran for 1,089 yards last season, becoming the every-down back in the sixth game of the season, but can he repeat the performance in 2016? Even if he can, the Cowboys are thin at the position.

Rod Smith, who played sparingly and did not have a carry for the Cowboys as a rookie, is the only other tailback on the roster. Lance Dunbar will be a free agent and is coming back from a torn ACL. Robert Turbin, who was signed later in the season, will also be a free agent.

“Of course we do feel like we need another back to go with McFadden,” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “Where we get that, whether it’s in the draft or whether we do it in free agency, a lot of different ways you can go there.”

After losing Murray and signing McFadden to a modest two-year deal, the Cowboys surprisingly did not select a running back in last year's draft when there were plenty of prospects available. They thought they were close to a deal with undrafted running back Thomas Rawls, who rushed for 435 yards in his final four games of the 2015 season and had four 100-yard games filling in for Marshawn Lynch with the Seattle Seahawks.

The running back crop might not be as deep in 2016 as it was a year ago, but there will be talent, starting with Ohio State’s Ezekiel Elliott. Some draftniks are linking Derrick Henry to the Cowboys. But there are also some under-the-radar-type backs, like Louisiana Tech’s Kenneth Dixon.

If the Cowboys were willing to go only so far on Murray, a player they knew and loved, will they be willing to spend significant money in free agency? There will be options, potentially like Lamar Miller of the Miami Dolphins. He turns 25 in April and does not have a lot of wear, like, say, Alfred Morris of the Washington Redskins, who will also become a free agent.

The Chicago Bears recently cut Matt Forte, who has rushed for at least 898 yards in each of his first eight seasons, with five 1,000-yard seasons. He has missed only eight games in his career.

But he turns 31 in December and has 2,035 career carries.

“When you get into an older back, then you’re talking about what’s the commitment?” Jones said. “You know he’s probably nearing the end unless he’s freaky like Emmitt Smith, who can go many, many years. But you don’t ever say never, and sometimes a one-year deal with a guy who’s 30 years old might be the right fit for us. We’ll just have to see.”
------------

Nothing, I mean nothing would piss me off more with this offseason than handing McFadden the starting job, re-signing Gimp Dunbar and dismissing RB in either FA or the draft.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
They thought they were close to a deal with undrafted running back Thomas Rawls, who rushed for 435 yards in his final four games of the 2015 season and had four 100-yard games filling in for Marshawn Lynch with the Seattle Seahawks.

I hadn't heard this.

Why the hell didn't they just draft him? But they made Swaim a priority though. Brilliant.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I hadn't heard this.

Why the hell didn't they just draft him? But they made Swaim a priority though. Brilliant.
They drafted Swaim. They had Rawls in for a UDFA deal and he changed his mind.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Nothing, I mean nothing would piss me off more with this offseason than handing McFadden the starting job, re-signing Gimp Dunbar and dismissing RB in either FA or the draft.
I think there will be more urgency without that non-factor Randle to confuse this stupid organization into thinking it had some kind of super draft steal in reserve.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
They drafted Swaim. They had Rawls in for a UDFA deal and he changed his mind.
That's what I'm saying. They made a trade just so they could draft Swaim. Why not draft Rawls instead, since apparently they liked him. It's one thing if they just didn't like him, but they obviously did. Given the state of their RB position at the time, they should have made sure they got the guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what I'm saying. They made a trade just so they could draft Swaim. Why not draft Rawls instead, since apparently they liked him. It's one thing if they just didn't like him, but they obviously did. Given the state of their RB position at the time, they should have made sure they got the guy.
Yeah, RB should have been viewed as a bigger issue then 4th TE. Crazy to think what Rawls would have done here. May have been totally overlooked and cut. Or he could have been given a chance to start and rush for 1200 yards.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
Cowboys surprisingly did not select a running back in last year's draft when there were plenty of prospects available.
Sure didn't surprise me. I said all along they would not draft a RB.

The only way it surprised anyone is those were people who think Dallas is serious about running the ball. They're not.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Sure didn't surprise me. I said all along they would not draft a RB.

The only way it surprised anyone is those were people who think Dallas is serious about running the ball. They're not.
honestly I don't see them drafting a RB this year either. McFadden rushed for 1,000 and they think they just need a backup. To be honest I think there are more glaring holes right now and this team is not playoff ready. WR should be a priority this offseason along with DE, DT, LB, S, 2nd string QB. Not gonna get em all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
honestly I don't see them drafting a RB this year either. McFadden rushed for 1,000 and they think they just need a backup. To be honest I think there are more glaring holes right now and this team is not playoff ready. WR should be a priority this offseason along with DE, DT, LB, S, 2nd string QB. Not gonna get em all.
You will know after free agency. Last year we went into the draft thinking the RB depth chart was set with McFadden, Dunbar and Randle. If we don't sign any free agents this year you can bet we will draft someone. If we do, then we probably don't draft one. It's really that simple.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
Running the ball 400 times just isn't "sexy" for Garrett. If they'd had a sudden epiphany that a dominating running game floats all boats including the defense, they would have made sure to keep Murray and barring that, would have done whatever needed to get Gurley or one of the other blue chip backs who were up last year.

They still don't see the advantages of run-first, power offense. And with what they run, blazing SPEED at wideout is essential and they don't have that either. We don't have anyone that other teams are afraid will just run right past the coverage.

All "windows" they have talked about have closed, they simply don't realize it yet.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Trade down and draft Ezekiel Elliott. As long as we don't end up with zero motor Derrick Henry.

Top Bottom