2016 Mock Drafts

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
With Jaylon Smiths knee injury, if we don't go QB, its likely down to Myles Jack coming off his own injury or one of the DBs. :skurred
Yea, best case scenario Smith probably wouldn't be able to play until maybe next October, and it's very likely he hardly plays his whole rookie year, you can't spend a top 10-15 pick, let alone top 5 on a guy missing time like that.

It definitely looks like our options will be down to the QB's, Bosa, Jack, Ramsey or Treadwell, maybe someone like a Shaq Lawson will rise but I doubt it, which makes it even easier to just gamble on a QB in my mind.

I do think Jack has a chance to be special though, he's a guy with LB size and explosive hitting ability who also has the movement skill of a CB, I've never seen a LB in college as fluid in coverage as he is. He also has very soft hands and speed, evidenced by UCLA using him as a RB. If he blows up at the combine, runs a 4.5 or so and shows that the injury is behind him I'd be pretty comfortable if we ended up taking him.

Still prefer a QB, just saying that I really like Jack as a prospect.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I hope Smith goes back to school.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I preferred Smith to Jack mainly due to instincts.

I dunno if Jack is good enough to be the Mike. I like him, hard not to, but I need convincing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

I dunno if Jack is good enough to be the Mike. I like him, hard not to, but I need convincing.
I think Jack may play the Will with Lee at the Mike if we draft him.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Yea, best case scenario Smith probably wouldn't be able to play until maybe next October, and it's very likely he hardly plays his whole rookie year, you can't spend a top 10-15 pick, let alone top 5 on a guy missing time like that.

It definitely looks like our options will be down to the QB's, Bosa, Jack, Ramsey or Treadwell, maybe someone like a Shaq Lawson will rise but I doubt it, which makes it even easier to just gamble on a QB in my mind.

I do think Jack has a chance to be special though, he's a guy with LB size and explosive hitting ability who also has the movement skill of a CB, I've never seen a LB in college as fluid in coverage as he is. He also has very soft hands and speed, evidenced by UCLA using him as a RB. If he blows up at the combine, runs a 4.5 or so and shows that the injury is behind him I'd be pretty comfortable if we ended up taking him.

Still prefer a QB, just saying that I really like Jack as a prospect.

If we lose tomorrow and draft 4th it does make it easier to decide on taking one of the QB's. At #4 it should be a QB or Jack unless Bosa drops to our spot. Jaylon is now out of the picture and you'd think the way Hargreaves shat the bed his last 3 games we wouldn't have him as a top 5 candidate even if we were looking CB again. The only other option would be Ramsey but I have to hope that we don't go DB 4 out of the 4 times we've been in the top 10 in the last 15 years. I do like Treadwell but don't see him going 4th - he could be an option if we moved down a few spots.

Best. Since. Deion.
Grrrrrrrrrrrr. I wouldn't put it past us to take a falling CB or Ramsey just because they don't know what else to do when drafting this high. Hargreaves or Ramsey + Manziel in FA would be us taking one giant dump in the offseason. At that point I'd just have to sit back and watch just for comedic purposes.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

He's not a DB....that's good enough for me.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
My hope in terms of Jalen Ramsey is that we shy away from him for two reasons; that he is extremely similar to what we already have in Ramsey and that he hasn't produced INT's in college with only 3. With how much talk there has been about how our CB's haven't gotten any INT's I'd hope that we wouldn't spend a top 5 pick on a DB who hasn't been able to produce turnovers in college.

I also think it's very possible that the Chargers take him if they don't trade down, Weddle is leaving and their entire secondary outside of Verrett is basically a sieve. I think all of the safeties on their roster were undrafted, if they don't address that spot in free agency I think they could definitely take him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My hope in terms of Jalen Ramsey is that we shy away from him for two reasons; that he is extremely similar to what we already have in Ramsey and that he hasn't produced INT's in college with only 3. With how much talk there has been about how our CB's haven't gotten any INT's I'd hope that we wouldn't spend a top 5 pick on a DB who hasn't been able to produce turnovers in college.

I also think it's very possible that the Chargers take him if they don't trade down, Weddle is leaving and their entire secondary outside of Verrett is basically a sieve. I think all of the safeties on their roster were undrafted, if they don't address that spot in free agency I think they could definitely take him.
To be fair we very much need another safety and could really use a stud corner. The problem is I just don't think Ramsey is that guy. I don't think he is the type of elite safety prospect that deserves top 5 consideration.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
To be fair we very much need another safety and could really use a stud corner. The problem is I just don't think Ramsey is that guy. I don't think he is the type of elite safety prospect that deserves top 5 consideration.
Yea, pretty much every "elite" DB prospect who was taken in the 1st round and ended up actually being elite in the NFL had at least 5 or 6 INT's in college, with most having several more than that.

Ramsey has 3 and I've seen him show poor ball skills this season in a few games. He has elite physical ability but I don't want to spend a top 5 pick on a DB like that, I'd rather just roll the dice on a QB who I know is a project and needs developing.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
That's the biggest issue. Ramsey doesn't look like the 2nd coming of Polamalu or Ed Reed. And neither he or Hargreaves look like the next Richard Sherman, Revis, Deion at CB. The last thing we need in the top 5 is another Mo Claiborne, or even T Newman or Roy Williams.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's the biggest issue. Ramsey doesn't look like the 2nd coming of Polamalu or Ed Reed. And neither he or Hargreaves look like the next Richard Sherman, Revis, Deion at CB. The last thing we need in the top 5 is another Mo Claiborne, or even T Newman or Roy Williams.
If you are taking one that high you should be looking at an Earl Thomas type talent in my opinion. If you aren't, then it probably isn't worth the pick. If we aren't taking a QB, I just want to trade down at this point.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If you are taking one that high you should be looking at an Earl Thomas type talent in my opinion. If you aren't, then it probably isn't worth the pick. If we aren't taking a QB, I just want to trade down at this point.
Me too. But if we can't work a trade I'd take Jack if we don't care for the QB that is on the board after Cleveland takes one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Me too. But if we can't work a trade I'd take Jack if we don't care for the QB that is on the board after Cleveland takes one.
He has a lot of climbing to do before he gets to that point of being a top 5 talent. He may very well get there but so may one of the DTs. I would much prefer a DT over a LBer at the top of this draft.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
He has a lot of climbing to do before he gets to that point of being a top 5 talent. He may very well get there but so may one of the DTs. I would much prefer a DT over a LBer at the top of this draft.
I'd prefer a DL too. But right now most have Jack rated higher than any DL except Bosa, and he'll likely go top 3.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd prefer a DL too. But right now most have Jack rated higher than any DL except Bosa, and he'll likely go top 3.
Kiper has Jack at 14 behind Jarran Reed DT, A'Shawn Robinson DT, Shaq Lawson DE, Robert Nkemdiche DT (Really don't like him), Deforest Buckner DE.

Not saying I like all of these D-lineman specifically and there are some others that I may like more but it just kind of shows that maybe Jack isn't clearly higher rated then the D-lineman who are projecting in the first.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Kiper and a few others is why I said most and not all. Also, if we're not taking a QB it's why I didn't care if we picked 4th or 8th. I'd be more comfortable with Jack or one of the DL at 8 than in the top 5. It's also why I'd prefer a trade down if not taking a QB.

Overall though I've seen more predictions with Jack in the top 10 than most of the other DL. Buckner is one who is often in the top 8-10 range. Nkemdiche has dropped some recently. The others for the most part are projected in the 10-20 range, of course a lot will probably change between now and April 28.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kiper and a few others is why I said most and not all. Also, if we're not taking a QB it's why I didn't care if we picked 4th or 8th. I'd be more comfortable with Jack or one of the DL at 8 than in the top 5.
Eh, who cares. The money isn't that much different anymore. I'd rather be at 4 with the ability to trade down and still get someone we want then to be at 8 without that ability. You can always take that player at 4 if no one is willing to trade with you (Basically highly unlikely, you just might not get "value" but who gives a shit about that).

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Eh, who cares. The money isn't that much different anymore. I'd rather be at 4 with the ability to trade down and still get someone we want then to be at 8 without that ability. You can always take that player at 4 if no one is willing to trade with you (Basically highly unlikely, you just might not get "value" but who gives a shit about that).
I care about value. I'd rather trade down and get the same player at 8 that we could've gotten at 4 plus and extra high round pick. Of course if you can't work a trade then you take the player at 4. But it would suck to be at 4 and get a player of 8-12 value. Being in the top 5 you want a franchise caliber impact player.

Top Bottom