Free Agency and Maximizing Romo's Window

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jaylon Smith looks like a very solid talent but I guess I don't see the top 5 type play making ability. I will say though, I think he could have a very Derrick Johnson type career. Someone who doesn't light the world on fire but who will be a very good starter for a long time. It's why I wouldn't hate him but I wouldn't exactly be thrilled either. I really wish we would put some effort into getting a bad ass stout DT to protect our LBers a little.

Otherwise I'm totally ok going all offense too. QB high in the draft and follow it up with WR/RB in the second. Make the transition as smooth as possible for the young QB by getting young talent in here for him to grow with.
I agree about a stout DT, sadly there is no Marcell Dareus or Gerald McCoy in this draft.

I like Clark and Billings but they both seem like guys who will go in the 15-25 area, if one somehow fell to our 2nd I'd have that card in in 2.6 seconds. There are some solid looking DT's that we may be interested in in the 3rd round, Sheldon Rankins and Austin Johnson in particular, hopefully we look at them.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Kawann Short was a DT out of Purdue I wanted badly in that draft. Big and physical guy who is also disruptive. 11 sacks now this season. Star doesn't put up the stats for them but he is just so stout and impossible to move.
They went from 27th in the league to elite the moment they drafted those two. That interior pressure and stoutness is essential to being a physical and reliable defense.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Goff has been ridiculous in this bowl game.

Aside from his stat line, he threw one pass about 45 yards in the air from one hash to the opposite sideline. I worry a little about his arm strength sometimes because the ball looks like it flutters a bit but he clearly has a strong arm and can throw it with touch.

Air Force is without their best DB who got thrown out early on but still, about 400 yards and 5 TD's on barely over 30 passes is very impressive, and he had a 6th TD that hit a wide open WR in the hands dropped early in the game.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Yeah Goff is putting on a show but against minimum competition. Passes this test.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Goff has been ridiculous in this bowl game.

Aside from his stat line, he threw one pass about 45 yards in the air from one hash to the opposite sideline. I worry a little about his arm strength sometimes because the ball looks like it flutters a bit but he clearly has a strong arm and can throw it with touch.

Air Force is without their best DB who got thrown out early on but still, about 400 yards and 5 TD's on barely over 30 passes is very impressive, and he had a 6th TD that hit a wide open WR in the hands dropped early in the game.
Goff's ball flutters sometimes because he doesn't step into throws. Part of the reason for that is that his offensive line is terrible and he rarely has the room to really climb the pocket. But I've been really impressed watching him. I know that Air Force's defense isn't exactly a great measuring stick but I'm seeing a QB fit the ball into tight windows regardless. Something that QB's routinely must do on the NFL level.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Goff's ball flutters sometimes because he doesn't step into throws. Part of the reason for that is that his offensive line is terrible and he rarely has the room to really climb the pocket. But I've been really impressed watching him. I know that Air Force's defense isn't exactly a great measuring stick but I'm seeing a QB fit the ball into tight windows regardless. Something that QB's routinely must do on the NFL level.
Whereas it seems a disproportionate number of Lynch's TDs are to wide wide open receivers he won't have at the next level.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I guess I look at immediate impact as who will have the biggest impact on a team as a rookie? Certainly the odds are Romo will get hurt next year. And having a talented rookie backup certainly beats having Cassell losing every game back there.
First it's not a given Romo misses time next year let alone extended time. It's also not a given that a rookie QB would be able to then just step right in and win multitude games for us. Immediate impact is someone that is stepping in early, possibly game 1 and making significant contributions vs a player primarily sitting the bench.

That said, I'd take Lynch or Goff even if they are sitting and learning in their rookie year and hoping they don't have to see action if it means we'd have our longterm solution at QB in house. That'd mean more than a LB that started from day one imo.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
First it's not a given Romo misses time next year let alone extended time. It's also not a given that a rookie QB would be able to then just step right in and win multitude games for us. Immediate impact is someone that is stepping in early, possibly game 1 and making significant contributions vs a player primarily sitting the bench.

That said, I'd take Lynch or Goff even if they are sitting and learning in their rookie year and hoping they don't have to see action if it means we'd have our longterm solution at QB in house. That'd mean more than a LB that started from day one imo.
It's not impossible Romo plays the whole season but he hasn't done it since 2012 iirc

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
It's not impossible Romo plays the whole season but he hasn't done it since 2012 iirc
That's true. But it's not a foregone conclusion he'd miss extended time like this year and '10. The other point is that it's also not a given a rookie sitting and learning could then come off the bench and be successful in that situation. I think we'll seriously give consideration to Lynch/Goff even if we bring in a new veteran FA QB to be the backup. So if Romo were to go down again next year it'd probably be the vet backup stepping in and not the rookie.

It is a total mess though because we need to get our future starter in here but if we do he probably won't be ready to successfully contribute next year. So we'll also need a vet backup and that isn't Cassell who we just gave up a pick for. I just hope we don't go out and trade for Manziel or RGIII giving up another draft pick for a guy that should be purely a backup. If it is one of those two then we get the circus surrounding them plus giving up another pick not to mention neither of those two will be satisfied just being a backup and neither is good enough to be a franchise caliber QB you can win with.

Hopefully we get Lynch or Goff and a FA veteran that can be serviceable if needed while cutting our losses with Cassell.

For as much flak as we gave Weeden it's obvious he can be good enough to pull out a few wins if he has the right staff and talent around him. He was hamstrung with Garrett/Linehan/Wade Wilson and also didn't have Dez during the time he started. We were going to lose to the Pats regardless, but he went OT with the Saints and we should've won that and had a chance against the Falcons if we could've contained Ryan/Julio. After that he was benched and gone but we had winnable games then against the Giants, Seahawks, Eagles, Bucs. It really doesn't matter though because a QB like that should just be a stopgap and with Romo out the rest of the year we would've have gone far in the playoffs even if we won enough to get there. But bottomline is we don't need a great backup. Just a guy that can at least go .500 and he probably could've done that with a better coaching staff.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
First it's not a given Romo misses time next year
He hasn't played all 16 games since 2012. He has now broken the same collarbone 3 times. To me the odds are stacked pretty heavily against him playing all 16 games. That means our backup QB is very likely to get some starts.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
He hasn't played all 16 games since 2012. He has now broken the same collarbone 3 times. To me the odds are stacked pretty heavily against him playing all 16 games. That means our backup QB is very likely to get some starts.
http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/showthread.php?5411-Free-Agency-and-Maximizing-Romo-s-Window&p=248595&viewfull=1#post248595

I think we'll seriously give consideration to Lynch/Goff even if we bring in a new veteran FA QB to be the backup. So if Romo were to go down again next year it'd probably be the vet backup stepping in and not the rookie.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We'd have to be nearly insane if we evaluate any of these QBs as franchise-caliber all stars but pass on them for another position. Especially DB.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
This leadership is just likely to trick themselves again if all signs point to Romo being healthy at the draft. They'll say, this year was just a fluke and we can get by with a competent veteran backup. They are blind when it comes to this and this is our tragic undoing. I didn't get to get into the stadium to watch Goff today cuz traffic was pretty heavy but I watched some of it from my command post. I like what I see from that and other highlights I've seen, but 6'4" 210lbs scares me. I like Lynch's physicals better, but Goff seems to have a better head for this stuff. At this point I'd take either though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This leadership is just likely to trick themselves again if all signs point to Romo being healthy at the draft. They'll say, this year was just a fluke and we can get by with a competent veteran backup. They are blind when it comes to this and this is our tragic undoing. I didn't get to get into the stadium to watch Goff today cuz traffic was pretty heavy but I watched some of it from my command post. I like what I see from that and other highlights I've seen, but 6'4" 210lbs scares me. I like Lynch's physicals better, but Goff seems to have a better head for this stuff. At this point I'd take either though.
6'4" is excellent for a QB. 210 is a little thin but I'm sure he will put on 10-15 lbs of muscle once he hits the NFL. Besides, I don't pay much attention to the weight of my QB, I think it really has very minimal impact on anything.

p1_

DCC 4Life
At this point, it is a strong probability that Romo sits for some amount of time in each season he remains in the game; it's simply a fact that we must
admit and plan for. The days of him being nearly so Jedi and mobile are fading fast. There are going to be plenty of shots coming at his aging and already broken frame for him to possibly remain upright and injury free. And this fact will certainly affect his game; pressure will cause him to play more like Thanksgiving
than he did in Miami. That was no mirage; it was simply pressure that made Romo revert to old tendencies that were reminiscent of the recent past shitty olines.
Recall him running for his life and forcing passes into coverage. That's what it looks like when the running game doesn't have a legit threat, and we need that threat again, Romo really needs it. Until then, I fear he's doomed to more of the same.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
At this point, it is a strong probability that Romo sits for some amount of time in each season he remains in the game; it's simply a fact that we must
admit and plan for. The days of him being nearly so Jedi and mobile are fading fast. There are going to be plenty of shots coming at his aging and already broken frame for him to possibly remain upright and injury free. And this fact will certainly affect his game; pressure will cause him to play more like Thanksgiving
than he did in Miami. That was no mirage; it was simply pressure that made Romo revert to old tendencies that were reminiscent of the recent past shitty olines.
Recall him running for his life and forcing passes into coverage. That's what it looks like when the running game doesn't have a legit threat, and we need that threat again, Romo really needs it. Until then, I fear he's doomed to more of the same.
The hits that knocked Romo out this year weren't particularly brutal. They were pretty standard. If those hits are breaking his bones, I have serious doubts he will sniff anything close to 16 games. Every QB is going to get tackled. It's the nature of the game.

GShock

DCC 4Life
The hits that knocked Romo out this year weren't particularly brutal. They were pretty standard. If those hits are breaking his bones, I have serious doubts he will sniff anything close to 16 games. Every QB is going to get tackled. It's the nature of the game.
Sturm speculated that he is choosing to fall that way to protect his back.

Either way, not good.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sturm speculated that he is choosing to fall that way to protect his back.

Either way, not good.
Supposedly Romo is thinking about surgically putting a plate in to prevent it from breaking again. Not sure why he wouldn't do that.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Supposedly Romo is thinking about surgically putting a plate in to prevent it from breaking again. Not sure why he wouldn't do that.
During Jerrys interview yesterday he said Romo isn't doing the plate

Top Bottom