MacMahon: Jones Refutes Manziel Story

Carp

DCC 4Life
IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones denied a report that his son Stephen, the team's director of personnel, took a draft card with Johnny Manziel's name on it out of his father's hand when he attempted to select the former Texas A&M quarterback.

"That didn't happen," Jerry Jones, who has a feed of the Cowboys' Valley Ranch draft room broadcast live on the team's website, said Tuesday during an appearance on 105.3 The Fan. "We're well aware that there are a lot of people looking at us in that room. You'd think we could act a little more organized than that."

The cards to make the picks are turned in by a team employee attending the draft at Radio City Music Hall in New York City, not at the Cowboys' facility.

However, Jerry Jones acknowledged that Stephen Jones played a significant role in talking him out of taking Manziel when the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner slid in the draft and was available when the Cowboys went on the clock with the 16th overall pick.

Jerry Jones was tempted to take Manziel, who was the highest-ranked available player on the Cowboys' board but would have entered the NFL as the backup to Tony Romo, who is one year into a six-year, $108 million contract with $55 million guaranteed.

Stephen Jones and others in the room argued for drafting Notre Dame offensive lineman Zack Martin, who will start at right guard for the Cowboys this season.

"Figuratively speaking, it got close to that," Jerry Jones said, referring to the image of his son snatching the draft card out of his hand. "It certainly was a big debate going on at no place else other than my mind. ... Because ultimately that was the bottom line -- being behind Romo for those years and whether or not that was the best way to use that pick.

"It turned out we used it on Zack Martin, and it has absolutely been a feel-good during this camp with what Martin has brought to the table in terms of protection and run blocking. I like where we ended up. There is no doubt [drafting Manziel] was a long thought on my part. Stephen certainly had his ideas. The rest of the room had other ideas. We had given this a lot of consideration in the draft room and out of the draft room with numbers of people sitting around talking about it."

D

Deuce

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones denied a report that his son Stephen, the team's director of personnel, took a draft card with Johnny Manziel's name on it out of his father's hand when he attempted to select the former Texas A&M quarterback.

"That didn't happen," Jerry Jones, who has a feed of the Cowboys' Valley Ranch draft room broadcast live on the team's website, said Tuesday during an appearance on 105.3 The Fan. "We're well aware that there are a lot of people looking at us in that room. You'd think we could act a little more organized than that."

The cards to make the picks are turned in by a team employee attending the draft at Radio City Music Hall in New York City, not at the Cowboys' facility.

However, Jerry Jones acknowledged that Stephen Jones played a significant role in talking him out of taking Manziel when the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner slid in the draft and was available when the Cowboys went on the clock with the 16th overall pick.

Jerry Jones was tempted to take Manziel, who was the highest-ranked available player on the Cowboys' board but would have entered the NFL as the backup to Tony Romo, who is one year into a six-year, $108 million contract with $55 million guaranteed.

Stephen Jones and others in the room argued for drafting Notre Dame offensive lineman Zack Martin, who will start at right guard for the Cowboys this season.

"Figuratively speaking, it got close to that," Jerry Jones said, referring to the image of his son snatching the draft card out of his hand. "It certainly was a big debate going on at no place else other than my mind. ... Because ultimately that was the bottom line -- being behind Romo for those years and whether or not that was the best way to use that pick.

"It turned out we used it on Zack Martin, and it has absolutely been a feel-good during this camp with what Martin has brought to the table in terms of protection and run blocking. I like where we ended up. There is no doubt [drafting Manziel] was a long thought on my part. Stephen certainly had his ideas. The rest of the room had other ideas. We had given this a lot of consideration in the draft room and out of the draft room with numbers of people sitting around talking about it."
Manziel could bust and Martin could end up a HOFer and this approach still infuriates me.

Rayman

Brand New Member
Manziel could bust and Martin could end up a HOFer and this approach still infuriates me.
It just shows that no matter what the scouts say or how the board looks when it's our pick. They just go by feel or argue it out and see who can convice the old man to pick their guy. This is most likely why we fail on so many second round picks and why we are drafting guys no one has ever heard of in the 5th or 6th.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It just shows that no matter what the scouts say or how the board looks when it's our pick. They just go by feel or argue it out and see who can convice the old man to pick their guy. This is most likely why we fail on so many second round picks and why we are drafting guys no one has ever heard of in the 5th or 6th.
A lot of folks on this forum were right there with Jerry about Manziel.

Rayman

Brand New Member
A lot of folks on this forum were right there with Jerry about Manziel.
I was torn over it as well but think of how much time and money is invested in that draft board and we ignore it in the first round. Seems ridiculous.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I was torn over it as well but think of how much time and money is invested in that draft board and we ignore it in the first round. Seems ridiculous.
I thought the opposite happened. Jones wanted to go off the board but the system checked him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Completely agree...this is like Floyd again. Now in both cases it seems to work out, but it is confusing to say the least. I'd rather group players by round instead of assigning them a numerical rating.

D

Deuce

Completely agree...this is like Floyd again. Now in both cases it seems to work out, but it is confusing to say the least. I'd rather group players by round instead of assigning them a numerical rating.
I get putting him there with the intention on trading the pick and wanting to know what value you place on it. But if you can't do that, I just can't justify passing on the supposed best talent.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones doesn’t dispute that son talked him out of Manziel

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 19, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT

While the team might have denied that Jerry Jones had the Johnny Manziel card snatched from his hand by his son on draft day, Jones himself didn’t dispute the spirit of the claim.

On the “Shamn and RJ” Show on 105.3 The Fan, Jones did nothing to deny the story of how close he was to drafting the Texas A&M quarterback himself.

“Figuratively speaking, it got close to that,” Jones said. “It certainly was a big debate going on, if no place else other than my mind.”

The Cowboys had cameras in their draft room, so Jones pointed out that any physical snatch of the card by his son Stephen would have been visible now. But he also admitted that Stephen would be one of the few people with the kind of swing to talk him out of it.

“If anybody could talk me out of it, Stephen could. Let’s leave it at that,” Jerry Jones said. “I like where we ended up, but there’s no doubt, there was a long thought — at least on my part. Stephen certainly had his ideas. The rest of the room had their ideas.”

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter, as he’s Cleveland’s to deal with now. But with everyone in Dallas watching the back of their old quarterback, the what-might-have-beens will only continue — even if only in Jones’ mind.

p1_

DCC 4Life
MacMahon: Jones Refutes Manziel Story vs Jerry Jones doesn’t dispute that son talked him out of Manziel

ok........ ?????? :doh

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
MacMahon: Jones Refutes Manziel Story vs Jerry Jones doesn’t dispute that son talked him out of Manziel

I think Jerry's saying he did want to draft Manziel, and Stephen talked him out of it. But the story about it being a physical altercation with Stephen taking the draft card away is bullshit.

I was watching the warroom cam during that pick, and certainly didn't see any physical crap.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think Jerry's saying he did want to draft Manziel, and Stephen talked him out of it. But the story about it being a physical altercation with Stephen taking the draft card away is bullshit.

I was watching the warroom cam during that pick, and certainly didn't see any physical crap.
That's exactly what is being said.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

But he didn't jerk the card out of his hand, got it???

It is more smoke and mirrors intended to delude a simple fanbase.

hstour

Brand New Member
All this uproar because a guy puts a melodramatic story tied to the Cowboys in his book about Johnny Football so that he can sell more books. Why, because this is intended to be the first in a series of 3 books and he needs the publishing house to pick up the other two.....:picard

data

Forbes #1
Jerry overruled Stephen to sign Deion. Jerry challenged Stephen and essentially said Stephen would have to kick his ass to stop him. Told Stephen, who was blocking the door, to step aside.

This is the progress made in 20 years. In another 20 years, who knows what other barriers may be broken.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Hey look...I wanted Manziel too, not going to pretend like I did not. Props to Steve for doing whatever he did to sway his dad to take Martin. He looks like a stud and solidifies an already good OL.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Hey look...I wanted Manziel too, not going to pretend like I did not. Props to Steve for doing whatever he did to sway his dad to take Martin. He looks like a stud and solidifies an already good OL.
I'm right there with you on Manziel. I liked him and wanted Dallas to draft him.

I'd still take him despite his lackluster play this preseason. It's way too early to give up on the guy, IMO.

How many times have we seen young players get off to slow starts but end up developing into a solid pro? It happens a lot in the NFL. On the flip side, how many times have we seen a player enter the league playing well only to fizzle out in a year or two? That happens a lot as well.

So we might as well just "wait and see". Right [MENTION=11]L.T. Fan[/MENTION].

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm right there with you on Manziel. I liked him and wanted Dallas to draft him.

I'd still take him despite his lackluster play this preseason. It's way too early to give up on the guy, IMO.

How many times have we seen young players get off to slow starts but end up developing into a solid pro? It happens a lot in the NFL. On the flip side, how many times have we seen a player enter the league playing well only to fizzle out in a year or two? That happens a lot as well.

I don't want to make any excuses for Manziel...he was bad...but his OL was horrible. Also, not sure that the WRs know when they are supposed to sit in zones and when they are not supposed to sit. Cameron in particular looked lost.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Possibly so but Manzeil was hyped by the media way beyond his actual skills. He only had 2 years of college level football and it will take him much longer than most to even be average in the pro ranks. I am not sure he can go unscathed physically long enough to get where he will need to be to become proficient.

Top Bottom