Watkins: Is Tony Romo too close to Jason Garrett?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Is Tony Romo too close to Jason Garrett?
April, 8, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Former Cowboys defensive end and new SEC Network football analyst Marcus Spears had an interesting comment Monday night on Twitter that sparked debate on the social media site. It also prompted a written piece by Spears on the Dallas Morning News' website in which he questioned the perception of the relationship between Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett and quarterback Tony Romo.

During the NCAA men's basketball national championship game, Romo, Garrett, Jason Witten and DeMarco Murray were seen in Jerry Jones' suite watching UConn-Kentucky along with former presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush.

Spears brought up the visit of Garrett and Romo to the Duke campus for a men's game in March. The former Cowboys defender's question about whether the relationship sends a bad message to the rest of the team: Are Romo and Garrett too close?

A quarterback should have a close relationship with the head coach. There are many examples of that being a successful union with other NFL franchises. But we've also discovered close relationships can fall apart, which was the case with Robert Griffin III and Mike Shanahan in Washington.

Each relationship should be judged on its own merit. Garrett-Romo is a good one.

The reality of the relationship is this: Garrett, entering the final year of his contract, needs Romo to buy into the program more than ever. And Romo, who has more say than any Cowboys quarterback since Troy Aikman, is doing whatever he needs to build his relationship with the head coach.

The career paths of Romo and Garrett are similar so far, that of undrafted players who fought for everything they got on the field.

Garrett seems to gravitate to players with similar backgrounds.

When wide receiver Miles Austin was dealing with his hamstring issues last season and reporters began to question his commitment, Garrett defended him. Garrett mentioned Austin being an undrafted player from Monmouth University and how, despite all the money he's made, knows his place on the team.

There's nothing wrong with having a good relationship with the head coach. I believe Garrett-Romo is genuine.

However, things can go bad quickly.

If the Cowboys don't make the postseason, Garrett is most likely gone as head coach. It wouldn't make sense to keep a man who has failed to reach the postseason four consecutive seasons in charge. If Jones was about to fire Garrett, would Romo step in and say something?

Garrett and Romo hanging in the luxury suite of the owner with Witten and Murray doesn't send a bad message. You just wonder, where was Dez Bryant? Where was Henry Melton? Orlando Scandrick? Travis Frederick? Doug Free?

You can't put 51 guys in there. Well, maybe in Jerry's suite you can, but solidarity is an important aspect for NFL teams.

You'd hate to think that something like coach and owner personal relationships with players would lead to hard feelings among a team.

The Cowboys' brass needs to make sure it never comes to that.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It has long been rumored that many players on this team feel that Romo is coddled and there were even reports that some players would be pissed at Garrett for how he treated Romo in practice after a mistake.

This bromance is doing absolutely nothing to help change that perception.

Cotton

Staff member
Status has its privileges
April, 8, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Back in the day American Express made famous the slogan, “Membership has its privileges.”

It was that iconic ad that popped into my head when I saw the picture of Tony Romo and Jason Witten in Jerry Jones’ suite at AT&T Stadium Monday night at the NCAA men’s basketball final with Presidents George W. Bush and Bill Clinton. Running back DeMarco Murray was also in the suite, but not in the much-circulated photo.

I tweaked the ad some: status has its privileges.

New SEC Network hire and former Dallas Cowboys defensive end Marcus Spears sparked debate on Twitter Monday and it continued on Tuesday. Spears wondered if teammates of Romo and Witten would be upset to see them hanging with the presidents and celebrities.

Spears has a point, but if Cam Lawrence or Ronald Leary were upset Romo, Witten and Murray were in the suite, oh well. Should I be upset Chris Berman gets to play in the Pebble Beach Pro-Am every year and I don't? Oh well.

Status has its privileges in any line of work. Those three have status, especially Witten and Romo, and we don’t know who else was invited to sit in the power suite to see Connecticut beat Kentucky but unable to attend for whatever reason.

Witten and Romo have been with the Cowboys since 2003. Witten has been to the Pro Bowl nine times. He was named the NFL’s Man of the Year in 2012. Romo owns most of the Cowboys’ passing records and has been to three Pro Bowls. Jones has showed his faith in the quarterback by signing him to two big-time contract extensions. Murray is coming off his first Pro Bowl season.

As teams go, not all players are created equally. Jimmy Johnson didn’t treat Troy Aikman the same as he treated a third-string safety. Bill Parcells treated “his guys” differently than the other guys.

Too many people believe professional sports are entirely different than an office you or I may work in. There is office politics everywhere.

You like some people. You’re OK with some people. You distance yourself from some people. You loathe some people. But you do your job for the common good, be it winning football games or producing widgets.

It can be safely assumed Witten, Romo and Murray were invited by Jones to the suite. He’s the boss. He’s the guy who signs the checks. You have a chance to talk with Presidents Bush and Clinton and some other celebrity folks, would you say no to your boss because the guy in the next cubicle didn’t get invited?

Of course you wouldn’t.

To me, the question is should Jones have put those three guys in position to be perceived as above their teammates in a public way? I doubt the question even crossed Jones’ mind and I’m not sure it even needed to cross it. He was simply making a kind gesture to three of his top players -- and maybe more -- and they took him up on the offer.

If there are players that are upset, then, well, they’ll just have to get over it. But they should also realize Witten, Romo, who is also rehabbing from back surgery, and Murray have been working out at Valley Ranch well before the official start of the offseason program on April 21.

That’s what should matter most to them.

Like just about everything with the Cowboys, perception overrules reality. The perception of the photo might tell one story, but it doesn’t mean it’s the whole story.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I Think the title to this article should read, Is Garrett too close To Romo. Usually it is up to the ranking individual to keep an arms length relationship not the other way around.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As teams go, not all players are created equally. Jimmy Johnson didn’t treat Troy Aikman the same as he treated a third-string safety. Bill Parcells treated “his guys” differently than the other guys.
Yes, but letting one guy skate by for falling asleep in a meeting is different from going out on bro dates with them constantly.

I swear to God, it is like Garrett and Romo are dating.

You absolutely do not see a real head coach doing anything like it. You also don't see a respectable QB who is supposed to be the leader of the football team doing it either.

Too many people believe professional sports are entirely different than an office you or I may work in. There is office politics everywhere.
You try to avoid that when you preach messages about team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I Think the title to this article should read, Is Garrett too close To Romo. Usually it ids up to the ranking individual to keep an arms length relationship not the other way around.
Actually Romo has the mandate from the owner and always has. He's not your typical player. Jones has all but publicly married him. He will outlast Garrett, just due to simple economics. Romo could throw pick sixes in the first six games and be 0-6 and it is Garrett that gets the shoe.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Even if he has a mandate normal protocol calls for the ranking individual to establish boundaries.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Even if he has a mandate normal protocol calls for the ranking individual to establish boundaries.
And again, Romo outranks Garrett.

It is all part of the screwed up hierarchy that Jones has installed and since Garrett is "comfortable with the ambiguity", there you go.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
But we've also discovered close relationships can fall apart, which was the case with Robert Griffin III and Mike Shanahan in Washington.
Huh? I thought their relationship was chilly from the start? That Shanny didn't even want to draft him in the first place.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Huh? I thought their relationship was chilly from the start? That Shanny didn't even want to draft him in the first place.
I think you are right. Supposedly he and/or his kid wanted Tannehill more.

junk

Not So New Member
I don't know why people think Garrett is gone after the year. Jer will bring him back. He isn't walking on eggshells. Garrett is in the family portrait. Garrett doesn't complain when Jerry is Jerry.

Extension sometime this summer.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't know why people think Garrett is gone after the year. Jer will bring him back. He isn't walking on eggshells. Garrett is in the family portrait. Garrett doesn't complain when Jerry is Jerry.

Extension sometime this summer.
If so, it demonstrates Jones' distinct lack of appreciation for what timing means.

hstour

Brand New Member
Yes, but letting one guy skate by for falling asleep in a meeting is different from going out on bro dates with them constantly.

I swear to God, it is like Garrett and Romo are dating.

You absolutely do not see a real head coach doing anything like it. You also don't see a respectable QB who is supposed to be the leader of the football team doing it either.

You try to avoid that when you preach messages about team.
Jimmy used to have Aikman, Novacek, Johnston and Dale Hansen over for backyard BBQs and Heineken. Jimmy and Troy shared a love of salt water reef aquariums.

hstour

Brand New Member
Actually Romo has the mandate from the owner and always has. He's not your typical player. Jones has all but publicly married him. He will outlast Garrett, just due to simple economics. Romo could throw pick sixes in the first six games and be 0-6 and it is Garrett that gets the shoe.
Economics? But coaches don't count against the salary cap.

Cotton

Staff member
Jimmy used to have Aikman, Novacek, Johnston and Dale Hansen over for backyard BBQs and Heineken. Jimmy and Troy shared a love of salt water reef aquariums.
It wasn't in a public arena. Big difference.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Only with the Cowboys do you have a controversy erupt over who's watching a basketball game and who isn't.

hstour

Brand New Member
Which makes them easier to fire.
Not necessarily. A coaches contract you have to pay out. They are guaranteed for the most part. If you want to fire a coach, you can. But you have to pay out that contract. You don't have to do that with a player.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Not necessarily. A coaches contract you have to pay out. They are guaranteed for the most part. If you want to fire a coach, you can. But you have to pay out that contract. You don't have to do that with a player.
Garrett's contract is up after this year, so the economics show he's easier to dump than Romo.

Top Bottom