Archer: What if Johnny Manziel slipped in draft?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What if Johnny Manziel slipped in draft?
January, 8, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones has already said he will not use an early draft pick on a quarterback to possibly begin the process of finding Tony Romo's successor.

Could Johnny Manziel sway Jones' mind?

Manziel will be the story of this year's draft. He drives attention with his style of play, with his brashness, with how he has handled the fame since winning the Heisman Trophy at Texas A&M. Wherever he goes in May, Manziel will be a draw.

I've already mentioned Jones can't so easily dismiss the possibility of taking a quarterback. History suggests otherwise.

Since taking Troy Aikman with the No. 1 pick in 1989, Jones has selected just three -- Bill Musgrave (1991), Quincy Carter (2001) and Stephen McGee (2009) -- in the regular draft and used a first-round pick in the supplemental draft on Steve Walsh in 1989.

Before the change in the collective bargaining agreement, he did not want to make the huge financial investment in an unproven commodity early in the draft. Now that the rookie prices have come way down, Jones remains reluctant.

But we all know Jerry Jones loves a draw.

He didn't need to draft Dez Bryant in 2010 with the first round. He committed megabucks to Roy Williams in 2009. He had Miles Austin coming off a Pro Bowl season and would soon pay him megabucks. But Bryant kept slipping and the Cowboys moved up slightly to take Bryant with the 24th pick in the first round. Somehow he could not envision passing on Randy Moss and Bryant.

This year the Cowboys will pick either No. 16 or 17 in the draft, depending on a coin flip with the Baltimore Ravens.

Manziel figures to be gone by then, but what if teams are scared off by Manziel and he slips in the same way Bryant slipped? Does Jones make the move? Does he bring in the star of the draft?

There will be tons of work done on Manziel between now and the draft. The Cowboys will do their due diligence and know the player inside and out.

The general manager will have all of the reports and know if it would be a smart football move or not.

Would the owner be able to stay out of the way?

It sure it would set up an interesting dynamic on draft day.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Mistake #1 - telling the world what your draft intentions are.

Stars

DCC 4Life
Manziel is going to be a stud in today's nfl... I would be ecstatic to have him on our team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do really like Johnny Football. I was actually impressed this year by how he has progressed as a pocket passer. People see the crazy scrambling high light plays but he also delivered a ton of balls from the pocket with great timing and anticipation.

I'd still prefer a taller QB that can throw over top of defenders from inside of the pocket but Manziel could be really good in the right offense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You always have to worry about how the celebrity that Manziel is would go over in Dallas.

It would be insane and that worries me more than his talent or short comings.

This kid is micro-scrutinized now. What would the Jones circus do to him. It is a little scary to think about, whether you like or hate the player.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
You always have to worry about how the celebrity that Manziel is would go over in Dallas.

This kid is micro-scrutinized now. What would the Jones circus do to him. It is a little scary to think about, whether you like or hate the player.
I agree, we need more boring aikman than hollywood romo

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I agree, we need more boring aikman than hollywood romo
Aikman was boning celebrities (Lorrie Morgan) and doing music videos. I wouldn't exactly say he was boring.

It was before the internet. Only difference. Also, winning alters perception quite a bit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

On the flip side of it he wouldn't necessarily wilt under the spot light the way some QBs might. Some players can't handle being in the media spotlight at all times. Johnny has already experienced it and dealt with it and his play on the field never lagged.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
On the flip side of it he wouldn't necessarily wilt under the spot light the way some QBs might. Some players can't handle being in the media spotlight at all times. Johnny has already experienced it and dealt with it and his play on the field never lagged.
Actually, what he struggled with the most was being in the spotlight. He hated it. Loathed it even to the point of wanting to leave. It would be magnified 50 times in Dallas.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually, what he struggled with the most was being in the spotlight. He hated it. Loathed it even to the point of wanting to leave. It would be magnified 50 times in Dallas.
He had every opportunity to implode this season and he didn't. Between the exaggerated off the field stuff and the fact that he was so successful the prior year put a huge target on his back. Yet he was still out their performing and doing a great job leading his team. Think of how many top QB prospects fall apart under that pressure on the field and end up dropping significantly in the draft.

You mention him loathing it to the point of wanting to leave but did you see any indication of that on the field? Of course not and that's all that matters to me. He could have packed it in like Clowney did.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Manzeil will crumple like a baby rabbit when he lands in the NFL. He will make an initial splash but in time he will get battered like RG111.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Manzeil will crumple like a baby rabbit when he lands in the NFL. He will make an initial splash but in time he will get battered like RG111.
I agree with this assessment.

Stars

DCC 4Life
I worry to some extent about this, but with the continued pussification of the NFL, and the fact that each year it leans more towards flag football on the beach, I think he will fluorish.

Also, I just like that he's kind of a maniac on the field and gives shit to people. I hate all the docile players our teams has.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I worry to some extent about this, but with the continued pussification of the NFL, and the fact that each year it leans more towards flag football on the beach, I think he will fluorish.

Also, I just like that he's kind of a maniac on the field and gives shit to people. I hate all the docile players our teams has.
I like brash players but it is harder to be that guy as a QB in the NFL.

The one thing Manziel has is charisma. And we did see how that worked out for a guy like Favre.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
My two biggest concerns about Manziel are if he can handle the scrutiny/attention being in Dallas would bring and if he is smart enough to be able to avoid getting blown up like RG3 on a regular basis. He also makes alot of indiscriminate decisions with the ball which will have to be worked out of his game.

If you build around him properly he could be good though.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Hey what happened to wait and see?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Hey what happened to wait and see?
We have already seen his style of play and how it ends up via Vick, RG 111, etc. Sandlot styles just don't blend with pro systems.

Top Bottom