2013 College Football chatter....

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That is a pretty brutal schedule. Have y'all seen a boost in recruiting due to the move?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That is a pretty brutal schedule. Have y'all seen a boost in recruiting due to the move?
It's been decent the last few years, the 2012 class would've been about middle of the pack in the Big 10 and 2013 probably would've been one of the better classes in the conference after Michigan and Ohio St. of course. This year is a small class so it's not going to be highly ranked but our biggest need is the OL and we're the leader for a top 10 or so 5 star OT so I can't complain.

D

Deuce

The SEC is clearly the best conference in many phases of the game. They are no doubt the best in hype. Still, this year they didn't really prove it on the field.

I can't help noticing how mediocre Aggy and Mizzu was in the Big 12 but they are now competitors with the same kids. I know, Johnny Football and all of that but still. Either way it makes the SEC defenses suspect. If its all JF then we have one kid that can move the ball well on the all world defense of the SEC? I think the deal is that the SEC plays basically good defense but a good spread team can move the ball on them just in any other conference.
I don't think that's too accurate. Mizzou sucked their first year in the SEC too, but turned it around this year with better recruiting (possibly because of the SEC tag) and they have good coaching. aTm turned it around quickly because of Johnny Football. If they had him in the Big 12 this year, they would have been in the Fiesta Bowl, IMO.

As far as SEC D's v the spread, we saw what a legit SEC D does to it in the championship game a few years ago when Auburn beat Oregon. Problem this year was, unlike previous SEC winners, Auburns D wasn't all world. They were below average. But if you give a team a month to prepare with SEC talent and coaching my guess is they can hang with just about anyone and that's why last night went the way it did. That, and Winston was completely overwhelmed for a while and he didn't know how to handle it til the halftime break calmed him down.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Red McCombs blasts the Charlie Strong hire.

This why most people are laughing at Texas. They are dangerously close to being run like the Cowboys. Their boosters are more interested in flash than substance.

BTW, have these yokels ever once stopped to think that Strong is on a similar glide path as Mack Brown and many of the other top coaches in recent years. Mack Brown didn't roll into Texas as the hot, must hire name. He was considered somewhat of an up and comer. Same with Bob Stoops, Jim Tressel and Les Miles to name a few.

So for McCombs and any other booster to get all huffy just because they didn't get a guy like Saban is laughable.

And he wants Gruden instead. Again, these boosters would rather have a flashy name rather than someone who will probably make them better immediately. Gruden hasn't coached in college in well over 20 years and he hasn't coached period in 5 years. But you want that over Strong? Good luck with that.

---------------------------------------------
From ESPN.com
By Max Olson

Longtime booster Red McCombs is not a fan of Texas' decision to hire coach Charlie Strong away from Louisville, calling it a "kick in the face" during a radio interview Monday.

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

McCombs, the former owner of the San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets and Minnesota Vikings and co-founder of Clear Channel Communications, said on "The Blitz with Dat Nguyen and Jason Minnix" that he was stunned to learn Strong was the choice to replace Mack Brown.

He publicly lobbied last week for Texas to hire former NFL coach and ESPN analyst Jon Gruden.

"I think it is a kick in the face," McCombs said. "Beyond the fact of what actually happened. We have boosters that have a lot of knowledge about the game. When we decided to go get Mack -- from the time we decided to go get Mack to about 30 hours later to have a press conference here and it was done -- we had a lot of input before we went after him.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

Boosters at Lousiville didn't like Strong either til he won games. He's not personable and he doesn't like to mingle and gladhand the boosters to get them to donate. All he wants to do is coach.

One thing that will hurt him is he couldn't bring Clint Hurtt with him. Texas can recruit itself, but he was Strong's best recruiter.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Final AP Poll

Florida State (60)
ACC
Record: 14-0

PV Rank
Auburn
SEC
Record: 12-2

Michigan State
Big Ten
Record: 13-1

South Carolina
SEC
Record: 11-2

Missouri
SEC

Oklahoma
Big 12

Alabama
SEC

Clemson
ACC

Oregon
Pac-12

UCF
The American
Record: 12-1

Stanford
Pac-12
Record: 11-3

Ohio State
Big Ten

Baylor
Big 12

LSU
SEC
Record: 10-3

Louisville
The American
Record: 12-1

UCLA
Pac-12

Oklahoma State
Big 12

Texas A&M
SEC
Record: 9-4

USC
Pac-12
Record: 10-4

Notre Dame
Division I FBS Independents

Arizona State
Pac-12

Wisconsin
Big Ten

Duke
ACC

Vanderbilt
SEC

Washington
Pac-12

The SEC bias is still strong. You will notice the top ranked team at every loss level is always an SEC team. The top 3 two loss teams, all from the SEC. The top 4 loss team, SEC.

They do have Stanford oddly ranked high but the next 3 loss team is SEC.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't think that's too accurate. Mizzou sucked their first year in the SEC too, but turned it around this year with better recruiting (possibly because of the SEC tag) and they have good coaching. aTm turned it around quickly because of Johnny Football. If they had him in the Big 12 this year, they would have been in the Fiesta Bowl, IMO.

As far as SEC D's v the spread, we saw what a legit SEC D does to it in the championship game a few years ago when Auburn beat Oregon. Problem this year was, unlike previous SEC winners, Auburns D wasn't all world. They were below average. But if you give a team a month to prepare with SEC talent and coaching my guess is they can hang with just about anyone and that's why last night went the way it did. That, and Winston was completely overwhelmed for a while and he didn't know how to handle it til the halftime break calmed him down.
The case with Mizzu is a myth.

Class rankings by year:

08 - 25th
09 - 21
10 - 48
12 - 31
13 - 41
14 - 36

So in reality they are really playing with 08-11 recruits. The 12' recruits are all RS freshman with only one contributing this year. So the SEC recruits aren't really playing now. The recruits that he is winning now with are guys that were signed in the Big 12 era. Also, he didn't see a very big jump in recruiting after making the move to the SEC. Again, more SEC mythology.

With aTm, they are getting some monster recruits but not many of them are playing yet. They've always recruited well though. That has not been their problem. They have severely underperformed for years and have not achieved much since 1998 until now. JF is a great player, I agree. But are you telling me that they go from mediocre for year in the Big 12 to moving the ball at will in the SEC because of one kid? If that is the case then I'd say that the SEC defense might be a little overrated. They play some really good defense but the stats will change once the spread takes over (it is on the way to being that already). You will see the rankings even out.

The point being Mizzou runs a spread attack and in the SEC and does it well. aTm does the same. OU did it well against Alabama...pretty much moved the ball all around. Teams with Big 12 schemes and Big 12 recruits. Is this all just luck and circumstances? I mean, come on...you gonna dismiss all of the this and just blanked deny it with SEC rhetoric?

The Oregon example is crappy. They run a finesse spread running attack against a top ranked run defense in the bowl game last year. Not the same thing dawg.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Red McCombs blasts the Charlie Strong hire.

This why most people are laughing at Texas. They are dangerously close to being run like the Cowboys. Their boosters are more interested in flash than substance.

BTW, have these yokels ever once stopped to think that Strong is on a similar glide path as Mack Brown and many of the other top coaches in recent years. Mack Brown didn't roll into Texas as the hot, must hire name. He was considered somewhat of an up and comer. Same with Bob Stoops, Jim Tressel and Les Miles to name a few.

So for McCombs and any other booster to get all huffy just because they didn't get a guy like Saban is laughable.

And he wants Gruden instead. Again, these boosters would rather have a flashy name rather than someone who will probably make them better immediately. Gruden hasn't coached in college in well over 20 years and he hasn't coached period in 5 years. But you want that over Strong? Good luck with that.

---------------------------------------------
From ESPN.com
By Max Olson

Longtime booster Red McCombs is not a fan of Texas' decision to hire coach Charlie Strong away from Louisville, calling it a "kick in the face" during a radio interview Monday.

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

McCombs, the former owner of the San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets and Minnesota Vikings and co-founder of Clear Channel Communications, said on "The Blitz with Dat Nguyen and Jason Minnix" that he was stunned to learn Strong was the choice to replace Mack Brown.

He publicly lobbied last week for Texas to hire former NFL coach and ESPN analyst Jon Gruden.

"I think it is a kick in the face," McCombs said. "Beyond the fact of what actually happened. We have boosters that have a lot of knowledge about the game. When we decided to go get Mack -- from the time we decided to go get Mack to about 30 hours later to have a press conference here and it was done -- we had a lot of input before we went after him.
Yeah he was pissed becasue the AD made the call. What a joke. Truth be told, the new AD and Strong are hitch at the hip now.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Strong had a great deal at Louisville.

I would have never moved to a place just to be told that unless I win the title I'm a POS and to have to kiss the feet of those yokels

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Red McCombs....a poor man's Jerry Jones.

Someone ought to tell that car salesman to shut the fuck up about coaching hires and just do the only fucking thing he is good for....writing another check.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What, it isn't reasonable to think Charlie Strong isn't just a good OC or position coach or something?

These old rich fools are so out of touch it's hilarious.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
McCombs looked old and confused about 10 years ago in the Vikings suite.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
"A kick in the face", really?

That is what hiring Charlie Strong is?

Poor rich guy didn't get his way. Boo hoo.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It looks like Kingsbury is going to close out the year with some good recruits. Yesterday Trey Haverty flipped a DT that was committed to Texas. He's a bad dude that will contribute big time in the future. We were in on this kid from day one. His original choices were UT or Tech.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/texas/football/recruiting/player-Zaycoven-Henderson-146236

They also picked up a transfer that is huge for other reasons. He's a LB from Utah that was originally committed to Tech and Tuberville pulled his scholly. At that point his brother was on the team and walked as well. After Tuberville left the older brother (Sam Fehoko) came back to finish his degree and will be a GA for Kilff. The entire family, including momma are huge Red Raiders. The reason why this transfer is important is that the even younger brother is a blue chip DT as well. The connection is that Tech's co-DC has been a mentor to the players since back when he coached a Hawaii.

Oldest brother's high school profile:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Sam-Fehoko-51300

Middle transfer brother:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-V.J.-Fehoko-82021

Youngest brother who states that Tech is the heavy favorite:

*stud*

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Breiden-Fehoko-130667

Finally, we come to a commit that we picked up last year. A big time WR from Houston. It was originally thought that he didn't qualify so he had to go the JUCO route. The NCAA screwed up his paperwork so his trip to JUCO wasted a year for him. Turns out he was a qualifier, which means he will be on the team next year with 4 years to play 3. Check his offers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Devin-Lauderdale-128370

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I'm a little shocked about it UT's class that seems to be falling apart. It looks like they have lost 3 stud DTs in the last few days with more players hopping around.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The rumors about Baylor picking up some of these kids is swirling around big time.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Wonder if it had anything to do with the perception that nobody wanted to coach there or Red McCombs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom