The Curious Case of Charles Tapper

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't we always hear how Claiborne is "having his best camp ever"? :lol

Gregory won't be back for 10 games. How is he even in the discussion? Tapper...the one that now has a broken bone in his back? Lawrence probably had his sack total helped out by the Kraken...can't say for sure, can't deny for sure. And, now the lack of depth is going to rear its ugly head when the rookie QB has to make throws to sustain key drives. And this is already a defensive unit that pukes its guts and gets winded when asked to be on the field for any length of time. EVERY. YEAR.

Yes, I'm negative. I have no reason to feel any differently when the defense has consistently underperformed. Adding a few safety pins to a defense that truly needs a major overhaul doesn't do much to inspire me to think much differently.
They didn't under perform in 2014. I think you severely underestimate the impact of having a running game and an offense that can chew the clock. Which is what we did in 2014 when we were worse on the D-line and at LBer.

And I was just making a point with Claiborne. I wouldn't be surprised if he is better then last year. Hell last year he was coming off a very severe injury and had possibly his best season. (Still not a good season) But I don't think Claiborne is going to be a good starter either. I could see Byron Jones taking the next step and becoming a probowl level FS though. Don't sleep on his impact on this defense. Corners play better when they have someone behind them they can trust.

Hitchens is good, Lee is stellar when healthy. Crawford is great when healthy. NT should be very good. It's not all bad.

Also we don't really know that Gregory is done for 10 games. Right now it's 4 or at least that's my understanding.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
They didn't under perform in 2014. I think you severely underestimate the impact of having a running game and an offense that can chew the clock. Which is what we did in 2014 when we were worse on the D-line and at LBer.

And I was just making a point with Claiborne. I wouldn't be surprised if he is better then last year. Hell last year he was coming off a very severe injury and had possibly his best season. (Still not a good season) But I don't think Claiborne is going to be a good starter either. I could see Byron Jones taking the next step and becoming a probowl level FS though. Don't sleep on his impact on this defense. Corners play better when they have someone behind them they can trust.

Hitchens is good, Lee is stellar when healthy. Crawford is great when healthy. NT should be very good. It's not all bad.

Also we don't really know that Gregory is done for 10 games. Right now it's 4 or at least that's my understanding.
I do have a lot of hope in Jones.

I just pray that someone in Dallas gets smart and pairs the kid up with another dynamic player to set that S area up to be one of the best in the NFL. Church is not it, nor will he ever be it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I just pray that someone in Dallas gets smart and pairs the kid up with another dynamic player to set that S area up to be one of the best in the NFL. Church is not it, nor will he ever be it.
Yeah I don't like Church at all. I think he is overrated as a run defender and he is god awful in pass coverage. We need to keep looking for a safety back there to pair with Jones. We looked in this past draft but didn't end up taking one until the sixth. Glad we took a shot on a guy but I won't hold my breath on a sixth rounder.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member

In Church's defense-- he has been paired with horrid FS partners his entire NFL career. And he was coming back from an achilles injury last year. We've been asking too much of him in coverage. With Jones back there in more single high looks, Church can be more of a thumper and play closer to the LOS which should really help his game.

dallen

Senior Tech
Dead serious.

Where am I wrong?
DT - I'm with you, but our DEs are shit-tier. We got lucky in 2014. We're going to need to stay healthy and have DLaw come back and be some combination of Ware and Reggie White. The more we can keep them off the field the better off we'll be. I don't expect us to be all-time bad, but if our defense is middle of the pack this year I'd be surprised.

Jiggyfly

Banned
DT - I'm with you, but our DEs are shit-tier. We got lucky in 2014. We're going to need to stay healthy and have DLaw come back and be some combination of Ware and Reggie White. The more we can keep them off the field the better off we'll be. I don't expect us to be all-time bad, but if our defense is middle of the pack this year I'd be surprised.
When you factor in DLaw the DE's are at least the same.

The 4 main DE's in 2014 were Selvie, Mincy, Spencer and Boatwright and Spencer was not available till later and DLaw missed most of the season.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think the make or break issue with this years defense is LB especially considering how injury prone Lee is.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
We obviously have no depth. It really showed in the preseason once the starters left. And even with the starters we have virtually no pass rush and the secondary is suspect at best.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We obviously have no depth. It really showed in the preseason once the starters left. And even with the starters we have virtually no pass rush and the secondary is suspect at best.
I actually like our depth at corner. Carr is just suspect as a starter. Everywhere else on defense is pretty thin other then DT where we have a nice little 4 man group.

townsend

Banned
It's been said before, but Scandrick is this team's career sack leader right now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's been said before, but Scandrick is this team's career sack leader right now.
That has a little something to do with the fact that most of our D-lineman have been in the league less then 4 years.

Top Bottom