Training Camp Thread...

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
F**king Elliott is going to make me lose my bet. First with the beating allegations and now because of a sore vagina.
:lol

Get it on video.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
F**king Elliott is going to make me lose my bet. First with the beating allegations and now because of a sore vagina.
Whatever meat you eat, make sure to wrap it in applewood bacon.

dallen

Senior Tech
Leary trade imminent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not really sure why Showers deserves the opportunity. I mean I get it with Dak a little. The guy was a fourth round pick and a very decorated college QB. You want to give guys like that a chance. Showers on the other hand was a marginal college QB who went undrafted. He is sort of the epitome of fourth string QB. A guy who has some physical tools but will have to get extremely lucky to ever get a chance in the NFL and for the most part is used as a camp arm and practice squad guy.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm not really sure why Showers deserves the opportunity. I mean I get it with Dak a little. The guy was a fourth round pick and a very decorated college QB. You want to give guys like that a chance. Showers on the other hand was a marginal college QB who went undrafted. He is sort of the epitome of fourth string QB. A guy who has some physical tools but will have to get extremely lucky to ever get a chance in the NFL and for the most part is used as a camp arm and practice squad guy.
What does college have to do with anything?

At this point it's about what they have shown in camp and preseason and Showers has IMO shown enough to get more reps.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Whatever meat you eat, make sure to wrap it in applewood bacon.
It is going to be anything she wants to bring in, and I have to pay.

She is talking about Bacon, Lamb, Chicken Wings, Steak, etc. I may die.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It is going to be anything she wants to bring in, and I have to pay.

She is talking about Bacon, Lamb, Chicken Wings, Steak, etc. I may die.
Or, you might just start living.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Camp Sights: Daily Hot Takes Include Another D-Day & Smith vs. Smith
Wednesday, August 10, 2016 9:22 PM CDT
By DallasCowboys.com Report

(Editor’s Note: At the end of each day here at training camp in Oxnard, the staff writers will each provide their own personal observation, ranging anywhere from a particular player who is standing out, a position that needs an upgrade, or even their own personal experiences regarding the daily rigors of camp.)

Rob Phillips: Dez Bryant just doesn’t do anything halfway. Back for a punt return rep, Bryant could’ve let a well-kicked ball drop over his head out of bounds. Instead, he tracked it, reached out and fielded it as he went to the ground, popped up and returned it a good 50 yards, eluding two coverage guys. Bryant hasn’t returned a punt since 2012, and I wouldn’t count on him doing so in 2016. But whatever he’s asked to do in practice, whether it’s at receiver or returner, his competitive drive is going to show.

David Helman: The defense continues to impress me in the opportunities it gets to go up against this offense. That’s not to say the offense never wins. In fact, today, the first-team offense cruised downfield for a touchdown in the two-minute drill. But the defense acquits itself well in nearly every practice, at one point or another. On Thursday, during the 7-on-7 portion of practice, the defense broke up four straight passes to keep the offense out of the end zone. Byron Jones stifled Jason Witten on a post route, and Orlando Scandrick blanketed Cole Beasley on a slant. The first-team offense did not complete a ball, and it took Dak Prescott and the backups several tries before they finally found paydirt. I’m not saying the defense is great, but they have put up a hell of an effort in every practice since we got out here.

Nick Eatman: This might not be the most glamorous of position battles, but it could be rather important one. Don’t know how the fullback position will shake out, but it’s going to be close. The Cowboys will have a tough decision to make, and it’ll likely come down to position flex vs. special teams ability. Personally, I think Keith Smith is starting to make a strong case for himself. Obviously the preseason games will play a major role, but Keith Smith plays with so much physicality, which is to be expected from a former linebacker. Rod Smith is a converted running back who has the size to play fullback and the flexibility to do both. His presence could be beneficial if defenses don’t respect the run with their fronts. Elliott could motion out and pull a linebacker away and the Cowboys could option to run Rod Smith if they like the look. But, for right now, I think Keith Smith is going to eventually win this job because he’s getting better at fullback and he can be beastly on special teams.

Bryan Broaddus: Came away extremely impressed with the linebackers and secondary during the 7-on-7 period. The focus of the work took place in the red zone and I have to say that the defense won the majority of the battles. Standing directly behind the secondary, I didn’t see any plays where there were gaps in the coverage. The group appeared assignment sound and technique sure. If you asked me for a highlight, it had to be Byron Jones and his matched up with Jason Witten. During Tuesday’s practice, Witten took it to the young safety by spinning him around in coverage. In this particular matchup, Jones was ready for Witten as he released up the middle of the field. Seeing what Romo saw, I would have tried to fit the ball into Witten as well to see if he could out muscle Jones for it. Witten was able to get his hands on the ball for a split second before Jones pulled it away. As both players ended up on the ground, Jones rolled over and said “Not today Witten!”

Jiggyfly

Banned
Scout's Notebook: Evaluating The Fullbacks, David Irving's Progress; More
Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:02 AM CDT

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout
@BryanBroaddus
OXNARD, Calif. – Here are my notes from the Cowboys’ Wednesday afternoon practice.
Read
When situations get tough and tight down in the red zone, it’s nice to have a corner that knows how to play coverage when stops are critical. With the ball sitting on their own 4-yard line, Orlando Scandrick was able to make a play on Cole Beasley that kept the offense out of the end zone. Instead of lining up in his normal spot in the slot, Beasley was wide to the left -- which required Scandrick to go with him. From my spot in the end zone, it appeared that Tony Romo wanted to go to his right with Dez Bryant and Terrance Williams working a combination route. The route wasn’t clean and Romo quickly came back to his left to find Beasley attempting to work inside on Scandrick -- except he wasn’t going to allow him to the spot. Nevertheless, Romo fired the ball in Beasley’s direction, but Scandrick was right there to get his left hand inside to knock the ball away.

Didn’t feel like it was the best day for the pass protection on the first offense during the Team Blitz period. There were two separate occasions where defensive pressure was able to prevent Tony Romo from attempting a pass. The second sack of the period came on four-man pressure when David Irving got such a jump off the ball that he was in the middle of Doug Free, and before he knew it, drove him into Romo’s lap. It was the first extensive action that we have seen from Irving working with the first defense in these practice and throughout the practice, he took full advantage of the opportunity.

There have been plenty of positive things about Andy Jones and his quest to make this roster. But if he’s going to play for Derek Dooley, he had better learn how to block. Jones had an opportunity to show the coaching staff his willingness to handle those tough jobs, much like we used to see from Dwayne Harris when he was at the point of attack. Jones was brought in motion with the intention of handling Barry Church off the edge. As the ball was handed to Alfred Morris, Jones was late off the ball and never laid a hand on Church -- who was able to fire inside and nearly tackle Morris for a safety. Hopefully, the next time that Andy Jones is put in that situation, he is able to execute his responsibilities better than what he showed during this practice.

Tony Romo continues to find ways to get the ball to Dez Bryant in space. Bryant, working against Anthony Brown drove so hard off the ball that it caused Brown to keep his hips open thinking that Bryant is running a “9” or “go” route up the field. Once Bryant felt the position he had on Brown, he broke hard across the field. Romo put the ball on Bryant at eye level which kept him on the dead sprint. Jeff Heath was in the middle of the field and was in position to drive on the ball, but he wasn’t able to close the ground quick enough to make a play. Bryant was able to use a stiff arm on Heath to gain separation and turn the corner on the speedy Brown.

I believe it has been a real learning experience for both Rod Smith and Keith Smith lining up at fullback. There were times in this practice where they flat missed their men or never got into position to make the necessary block. I see a more aggressive player in Keith Smith and his willingness to execute the block, so that gives me some hope -- but I just don’t think that’s good enough. These preseason games should tell us a great deal about whether the learning curve for Rod Smith and Keith Smith is just too much. If the coaching staff wants a real fullback, then they just might have to wait see who shows up on that waiver wire here in the next three weeks.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Wed. Practice Recap: Romo Recalls First Preseason Game; Irvin Visits; More
Wednesday, August 10, 2016 9:54 PM CDT
OXNARD, Calif. – Tony Romo knows what rookie Dak Prescott is about to experience Saturday night against the Rams: his first opportunity to lead an NFL huddle in game action.

Romo’s preseason debut in 2003 against the Cardinals certainly wasn’t perfect. Driving the offense in the fourth quarter, he tried a shovel pass that bounced off an official and got intercepted.
“I can remember (Bill) Parcells meeting me at about the 30-yard line on the field when I made a mistake,” Romo said. “I don’t think he liked that at the time.”

Romo probably won’t play much in his 14th preseason opener. Prescott and Jameill Showers are likely to get the bulk of the work with Kellen Moore (fractured fibula) injured. Romo has seen both young quarterbacks improve with the increased practice reps they’ve gotten over the last week.
“I think you guys can tell that they’re getting better,” he said. “Now we’ve got to see them with the lights on. I’m excited for them to go out there and play. If they can continue to keep getting better like they are, they’ve both got a bright future.

“Anytime you can pass on your knowledge and help, especially good people – guys that you see a little of yourself in with the work ethic – you’re excited to see them succeed and compete. I want them to be successful. The hope and goal is to one day to pass that on and to let these guys run off and play, Kellen included.”
Prescott said he’s already learned plenty from Romo -- through advice and from simply watching him run the offense.
“He’s like an offensive coordinator behind the center,” Prescott said. “He’s got a lot of wisdom and experience. It’s great being in the same (meeting) room with him.”

Quick Hits Read
Michael Irvin visited training camp with the NFL Network on Wednesday afternoon, stopping to chat with both Ezekiel Elliott and Dez Bryant after practice. Irvin routinely visits with Bryant during training camp, and made note of the fact that the All-Pro receiver is surprisingly entering his seventh season in the NFL. Speaking on the NFL Network, Bryant took time to stop and acknowledge those that doubted he’d have a lasting career. “I think the most beautiful thing about it is – I’m not going to jump too far into it, but I done killed a lot of them doubters,” he said. “A lot of them expected me to be out here three, but I’m seven and running.”

For his part, Elliott dutifully told Irvin that he was taking himself “day-by-day” with his lingering hamstring issues. But the rookie offered up a solid quote to Irvin when the Hall of Famer asked him what he visualizes when he thinks about the coming season. “I find myself waking up drooling, seeing all those big holes that will hopefully be there this season,” Elliott said. “I’ve just got to get back healthy, that’s what I’m working to do.”

Sean Lee was none too pleased with how easily the first-team defense gave up a touchdown to Alfred Morris during the two-minute drill. Tony Romo moved the offense into the red zone with several timely passes, and then he completely caught the defense off guard with a quick handoff inside to the veteran running back. Morris scored from 10 yards out, prompting a harsh round of criticism from Lee – none of which can be reprinted here.

Linebacker Anthony Hitchens was briefly shaken up in coverage against receiver Terrance Williams in team drills. After a few moments down on the field with team athletic trainers, Hitchens walked off under his own power and eventually returned to practice.

Notable Standouts
Dez Bryant – He doesn’t often get credit for his speed, but Bryant has plenty of it – which he showed Wednesday. According to Cowboys coach Jason Garrett, one of his goals for the day was to work on advancing the ball from deep in the offense’s own territory. Bryant proved pretty effective at that, as he caught a short crossing route on his own 20-yard line, turned upfield and was gone. Bryant went the distance, not even needing to ward off a tackler in the process.

La’el Collins – The left guard continues to show his strength and athleticism in his second training camp. He stood up defensive lineman Jack Crawford in a one-on-one pass rush drill, and he helped pave the way for a Terrance Williams touchdown in team drills.

Geoff Swaim – As has been noted, Dak Prescott has a clear affinity for Geoff Swaim, and he showed that much at practice. The second-year tight end is Prescott’s go-to target on the vast majority of snaps, including two contested catches in the two-minute drill.

Play of the Day

Receiver Terrance Williams made a clever move on a bubble screen in team drills. He faked inside, then with a wave of blockers occupying linebacker Sean Lee and others, he bounced back outside and raced down the left sideline for a 20-yard touchdown.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
All I want from Zeke this year is 999 yards. He can go crazy after that.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Amazing how Zeke is basically injury free until he gets to Dallas. There goes the hammy.

Top Bottom