Machota: Stephen - Cowboys could upgrade RB, WR if right deal came together

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Stephen Jones: Cowboys could upgrade RB, WR if right deal came together

Jon Machota

Stephen Jones wouldn’t just come out and say the Dallas Cowboys desperately need to add a veteran wide receiver and running back. But if the right offer was there, he’d listen.

The Cowboys executive vice president was asked Friday to name a position he’s a little concerned about. While Jones said he wouldn’t use the word “concerned” to describe the situation, he discussed wide receiver and running back.

The Cowboys did not address either position in this year’s draft.

“I think you got to look at receiver,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “I wouldn’t say we’re concerned, I’m just saying that you’re looking for some guys to show up and do something. You lose a player like Dwayne Harris and you don’t replace him in free agency, and you don’t ultimately take a receiver in the draft, we haven’t necessarily designated a guy, ‘Hey, you’re gonna be the roster spot for Dwayne Harris.’

“So it will be very competitive for that fifth spot. If he’s on our team, that’s great. If it ends up being that we continue to look for a guy, then that’s an option as well. Player acquisition, as I always say, is a 365-day a year business and we’ll keep looking for ways to improve our football team.”

The Cowboys recently signed undrafted rookie free agent wide receivers George Farmer, Lucky Whitehead, Deontay Greenberry, Antwan Goodley and Nick Harwell to go along with running back Synjyn Days.

“The other spot we feel a little bit better about is [running back],” Jones said. “But any time you lose an All-Pro like DeMarco Murray was, then it gives you reason to say, ‘Hey, do we have the right guy?’ But we did go get Darren McFadden, who has a great pedigree and I think behind this offensive line and some of the skill set he has can be successful along with, which how we might ultimately do it is by committee. You put him with Lance Dunbar and Joe Randle, we’ve got reason to feel real good about that group, not to mention Ryan Williams.

“But I’d say those two spots are the areas that we look at and we say, ‘Hey, the right situation showed up, we’d [take a look], but we’re also comfortable with what we have. It never seems to fail that we always find very interesting college free agents.”

At this point, at least one of those undrafted wide receivers has a realistic chance of making the Cowboys’ 53-man roster. Jones said during a Wednesday conference call with season-ticket holders that the quality of these five undrafted receivers reminds him of Miles Austin’s group in 2006.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
At this point, at least one of those undrafted wide receivers has a realistic chance of making the Cowboys’ 53-man roster. Jones said during a Wednesday conference call with season-ticket holders that the quality of these five undrafted receivers reminds him of Miles Austin’s group in 2006.
So we have a potential Kick/Punt returner and a future drug lord in the UDFA receivers?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I guess they don't like Street?
That was my thought, too.

I mean, Bryant, Beasley, Street, and Williams are a hell of a core group of WR's.

Sorry, I didn't see a whole lot of value with Harris.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I mean, Bryant, Beasley, Street, and Williams are a hell of a core group of WR's.

He was struggling year before last in the receiver position. Spent too much time juking before he started the pattern. The play was over before he could get open.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I think it's more about the return game and special teams.

Top Bottom