2014 College Football Chatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deuce

Boston College was ripping FSU on the ground until they got cute with gadget plays.

If the Seminoles end the season as top ranked, they will be one of the biggest frauds ever to do so.
I'm glad they keep pulling these games out. Once they get into the playoff, they are going to get routed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm glad they keep pulling these games out. Once they get into the playoff, they are going to get routed.
I am not exactly bouncing off the walls about Georgia Tech's season, but if they can't beat BC handily at home, we will give them a game and then some in Charlotte.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Boston College was ripping FSU on the ground until they got cute with gadget plays.

If the Seminoles end the season as top ranked, they will be one of the biggest frauds ever to do so.
FSU has grown on me...they just win with no style points. GT can beat them, but just about every team could and haven't yet. I think Fisher is underrated as a coach...he has talent, no doubt, but he keeps them together.

D

Deuce

FSU has grown on me...they just win with no style points. GT can beat them, but just about every team could and haven't yet. I think Fisher is underrated as a coach...he has talent, no doubt, but he keeps them together.
Fisher is good. He's made adjustments each week that turned the game.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah that's how I feel and Winston has just looked very polished in crunchtime, there is no way I draft Mariota over him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Mariota is not a guy I like much at the pro level. Best case scenario for him is Alex Smith.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hundley with a bad mistake.

I don't think that kid is a pro QB.

Kessler looks like one though.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Mariota is not a guy I like much at the pro level. Best case scenario for him is Alex Smith.
I see him more as a poor mans Kaepernick

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Wow I was just kidding dude I actually like Kliff.

But hey do what you gotta do to make yourself feel better.
I'm one step from slitting my wrists over here and you come in here with that? You can ead.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Much better mechanics.
He definitely is a more polished passer than Kaepernick was coming out.

I don't know about poor mans. I think they are extremely similar players though.
Poor mans was probably too harsh, depending on who he ends up with grooming him at the next level he could be pretty good. Think he does need some work but then so does Kaepernick still tbh

Carp

DCC 4Life
I really don't think he and Kaepernick are that similiar.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Ttu has 3 true freshman starting in the secondary today.

:panic

Make that 4. Our other safety went down so we have to take our 18 year old cb and turn him into a safety on the fly. I have never seen a team so undermanned in my life.

They are all shrimps too.

This team sucks so bad. How do you turn the tide of such a rotten feeling and mental state?

TTU might bottom out and stay there for a while. If somehow Kliff doesn't make it out alive we are f-ed. Things look seriously bad. I understand no players but there are so many things going on that indicate really bad football...

I'm smelling a really terrible mindset too. That part worries me the most.
Does TTU care enough about the football program to go after a good defensive coordinator or are they just going to promote from within this grease trap fire?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Does TTU care enough about the football program to go after a good defensive coordinator or are they just going to promote from within this grease trap fire?
Oh I'm pretty sure that has been tried. What's your plan? Call up the best one we can find and ask him to sign up for a dumpster fire of a defensive program with no talent?

7 DCs in 7 years is not the solution. I cannot possibly imagine how more unrest can help. That is the reason that we can't build a program. The dc doesn't suck.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Oh I'm pretty sure that has been tried. What's your plan? Call up the best one we can find and ask him to sign up for a dumpster fire of a defensive program with no talent?

7 DCs in 7 years is not the solution. I cannot possibly imagine how more unrest can help. That is the reason that we can't build a program. The dc doesn't suck.
I think part of the problem has been that they've been cheap and lazy about building the defensive staff. I remember that when we were on the Rivals board, a lot of people wanted Phil Bennett. From what people were saying on there, TTU didn't want to pay coordinator money for a coordinator, so we went with a guy named Glasgow from TCU that everyone hated who only lasted a season. As far as I know they continue to do the same thing, hire people who are underqualified because the school doesn't want to pay coaches.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I think part of the problem has been that they've been cheap and lazy about building the defensive staff. I remember that when we were on the Rivals board, a lot of people wanted Phil Bennett. From what people were saying on there, TTU didn't want to pay coordinator money for a coordinator, so we went with a guy named Glasgow from TCU that everyone hated who only lasted a season. As far as I know they continue to do the same thing, hire people who are underqualified because the school doesn't want to pay coaches.

Not many schools can go after the hired guns on the defensive side of the ball. Tech wouldn't be a destination school for such a coach either. It is not as easy as simply dialing up the best guy out there and throwing some money at them.

It goes back to a few things that caused the problem.

Leach didn't care of defense. He only had a few competent defenses over the years. That pretty much set the tone for many years to come. Most schools that hit on a big year follow it up with strong recruiting at a push for expansion. Leach literally quit on the team after his big season. He stopped recruiting and began for using on other jobs.

Once leach was fired we brought in dumbo Tubs who turned out to be the absolute worst hire. That dipshat did nothing but set the program back with a terrible attitude. He couldn't hire a defensive guy to save his life. You are right about Glassgow in a way. He seemed like a smart hire because he was the top assistant at the best defensive school in the state. That dude was a mess, the next guy was fired for beating his wife. He was the LBer cosch from Alabama. So we have a string of failures:

2009 Ruff McNeil - left when Leach was fired. Now the head coach at East Carolina
2010 Dude from Alabama - fired for beating his wife
2011 Glassgow - top tcu coordinator fired for being a total nut job with a possible mental disorder
2012 Art Kaufman - respected coach from North Carolina that left when Tubs quit. He seemed solid and tried to get the mess back on track
2013 Wallerstadt - fired for coming to work high on something several times. He seemed like a competent coach. He was a LBer coach from aTm
2014 Mike Smith interim - Rex Ryan's pet assistant. He's been with Rex for several years and is very respected in the NFL. He knows his stuff well. He's been offered more NFL jobs since he's been there. If he stays he has a mess to clean up that will take multiple years.

One thing about being a college head coach that people glass over is the network that coaches bring. Kliff essentially has none. He hasn't built a network yet so he basically doesn't have anyone to reach out to. He is also a loner who keeps to himself. Young pride probably has bitten him some. He definitely will need to grow to make it. When Kliff came he spent a bunch of time trying to build a defensive staff. He had the dude that is the coordinator for Wisconsin on the hook until his old coach called him and stole him away at the last moment. Tell me this, would you rather come to a program that is historically bad on defense or go to Wisconsin to be a d coordinator? Can you blame the current tech staff for that? I don't know.

As far as hiring someone like Phil Bennett goes, that dude flunked out at smu as a coach and has never had any kind of ranked defense over at Baylor. Nobody says anything because that program is stable and wins lots of games. They haven't done anything amazing on that side of the ball.

I don't care who you hire this year the defense is going to suck. There are no players. None. Any player with any grit is 18 years old and can't lift a paper towel. Don't think folks understand that we literally had 4 18 year old kids starting on defense last night. They are the best that we have. The rest are JUCO players who were rejected from other places. They are basically retarded and cannot play.

It is a total mess right now. The answer isn't to hire some other coach right now. He won't be able to do much. Stability is the #1 priority.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not many schools can go after the hired guns on the defensive side of the ball. Tech wouldn't be a destination school for such a coach either. It is not as easy as simply dialing up the best guy out there and throwing some money at them.

It goes back to a few things that caused the problem.

Leach didn't care of defense. He only had a few competent defenses over the years. That pretty much set the tone for many years to come. Most schools that hit on a big year follow it up with strong recruiting at a push for expansion. Leach literally quit on the team after his big season. He stopped recruiting and began for using on other jobs.

Once leach was fired we brought in dumbo Tubs who turned out to be the absolute worst hire. That dipshat did nothing but set the program back with a terrible attitude. He couldn't hire a defensive guy to save his life. You are right about Glassgow in a way. He seemed like a smart hire because he was the top assistant at the best defensive school in the state. That dude was a mess, the next guy was fired for beating his wife. He was the LBer cosch from Alabama. So we have a string of failures:

2009 Ruff McNeil - left when Leach was fired. Now the head coach at East Carolina
2010 Dude from Alabama - fired for beating his wife
2011 Glassgow - top tcu coordinator fired for being a total nut job with a possible mental disorder
2012 Art Kaufman - respected coach from North Carolina that left when Tubs quit. He seemed solid and tried to get the mess back on track
2013 Wallerstadt - fired for coming to work high on something several times. He seemed like a competent coach. He was a LBer coach from aTm
2014 Mike Smith interim - Rex Ryan's pet assistant. He's been with Rex for several years and is very respected in the NFL. He knows his stuff well. He's been offered more NFL jobs since he's been there. If he stays he has a mess to clean up that will take multiple years.

One thing about being a college head coach that people glass over is the network that coaches bring. Kliff essentially has none. He hasn't built a network yet so he basically doesn't have anyone to reach out to. He is also a loner who keeps to himself. Young pride probably has bitten him some. He definitely will need to grow to make it. When Kliff came he spent a bunch of time trying to build a defensive staff. He had the dude that is the coordinator for Wisconsin on the hook until his old coach called him and stole him away at the last moment. Tell me this, would you rather come to a program that is historically bad on defense or go to Wisconsin to be a d coordinator? Can you blame the current tech staff for that? I don't know.

As far as hiring someone like Phil Bennett goes, that dude flunked out at smu as a coach and has never had any kind of ranked defense over at Baylor. Nobody says anything because that program is stable and wins lots of games. They haven't done anything amazing on that side of the ball.

I don't care who you hire this year the defense is going to suck. There are no players. None. Any player with any grit is 18 years old and can't lift a paper towel. Don't think folks understand that we literally had 4 18 year old kids starting on defense last night. They are the best that we have. The rest are JUCO players who were rejected from other places. They are basically retarded and cannot play.

It is a total mess right now. The answer isn't to hire some other coach right now. He won't be able to do much. Stability is the #1 priority.
You touched on what may e the most significant part of the problem. The lack of a network of the HC. That is the heartbeat of the coaching system. The people in coaching are revolving doors and if you don't have a source for information and replacement you are at a huge disadvantage. It is necessary up and down the line from staffing all the way to recruiting.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
You touched on what may e the most significant part of the problem. The lack of a network of the HC. That is the heartbeat of the coaching system. The people in coaching are revolving doors and if you don't have a source for information and replacement you are at a huge disadvantage. It is necessary up and down the line from staffing all the way to recruiting.
It certainly is a factor. That is one of the disadvantages of hiring a rookie. If the problems hadn't been deeper in this case it still would have been a thing that would have to be overcame. A lot of inspiration and some luck needs to come into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom