Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on DeMarcus Ware: ‘You can’t have it all’

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jones is an idiot for stating that Ware has "barely played" the last 2 years, but he'd been better off saying Ware "has not had an impact" the last 2 seasons - and that would be closer to the truth.

Too many times the last couple years Ware has been invisible when the Defense needed a big play. Some of it is age, some of it was injuries, some of it was there was no depth behind him.

Unfortunately, if you are Ware its tough to draw a line in the sand and say you aren't taking a pay cut when you have film out there showing you getting schooled by rookie tackles, and 2nd/3rd string fill ins going one-on-one with you, and winning the majority of the time.

Ware is in decline. Period.
Maybe what Jones was saying is that when Ware was in the game he barely played. Could be. You never know with him.

dallen

Senior Tech
Ware is his prime would just barely be worth what we are paying him over the next 2 seasons. Never pay for past performance

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Maybe what Jones was saying is that when Ware was in the game he barely played. Could be. You never know with him.
That could be his polite way of saying even though Ware suited up and played he was largely invisible on game day. Affectionately known as The Texas Ace theory.

I would actually be surprised if the Cowboys flat out released Ware. That's not Jerry's M.O. Jerry will allow his superstars to hang around until the wheels fall off.

I'm willing to bet that if it weren't for Parcells coming on board Emmitt would have remained a Cowboy and not played a down for the Cardinals.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

:unsure

Cotton

Staff member
I haven't seen that anywhere else. Good if it's true. But, I highly doubt it.

Cotton

Staff member
The Twitter verse is exploding with WHHHYYYYY??? and SMDH!'s everywhere. :lol
Yeah, they are assuming it's true. It's silly the tweets.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, they are assuming it's true. It's silly the tweets.

Eskin is a Philly reporter, so I am not sure how he would have knowledge that nobody else has.

Sounds like he just trolled a bunch of hero worshippers.

Cotton

Staff member
Eskin is a Philly reporter, so I am not sure how he would have knowledge that nobody else has.

Sounds like he just trolled a bunch of hero worshippers.
Yep.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
People are so damn stupid, I swear.

I don't get it. Once the guy is gone, he's shit on my shoe. Don't care.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
People are so damn stupid, I swear.

I don't get it. Once the guy is gone, he's shit on my shoe. Don't care.
She is the type of fan who thinks Spags is a genius and that Jerry is a competent GM.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

Does anyone think that Glazer or Shefter wouldn't have this before Howard fricking Eskin?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That could be his polite way of saying even though Ware suited up and played he was largely invisible on game day. Affectionately known as The Texas Ace theory.
It's not a theory. :art

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If the Cowboys actually do this, I'll be pleasantly surprised because it's the type of the decision they should make and they type they never do.

It's a shame they couldn't do this with so many players before Ware.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If the Cowboys actually do this, I'll be pleasantly surprised because it's the type of the decision they should make and they type they never do.

It's a shame they couldn't do this with so many players before Ware.
I don't know why you would say this.

I swear some fans are so ungrateful.

In 20 years you are so going to regret the Romo, Ware, Witten years are gone.

You'll see.

BipolarFuk

Demoted

You'll see.
How will we ever survive the passing of that one playoff win era?

:diejerry

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

You'll see.
Yup.

I'm going to think back fondly to what seemed like a never ending era of mediocrity that brought upon not one, but many humiliating losses.

If you were to put together a top 10 most embarrassing losses in Cowboys history list, the 2006 to present Cowboys would be responsible for at least 7 of them.....but outside of that, I'm gonna long for the days of Romo and company.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
DALLAS, Texas (105.3 THE FAN) – Jerry Jones historically has a difficult time making an emotional and financial break from his Dallas Cowboys stars. But sources tell me that DeMarcus Ware’s future in Dallas can be boiled down to a hard-but-true catchphrase:

“Pay cut or be cut.’’

“I look at that,’’ said Jones, who certainly won’t phrase his position that harshly but conceded he is weighing every option, even with a future Hall-of-Fame pass-rusher. “Those are things you have to look at.”

They are being examined – but not to the point that a Wednesday midday transaction transpired. A Philadelphia radio station misunderstood a blog report … Which misunderstood a newspaper column … And many jumped the gun Wednesday in reporting that Ware had been cut.

The transaction gun will be fired this offseason, however – in one of four directions.

Cowboys management is reluctant to part ways with a “face-of-the-franchise’’ player like Ware, who as recently as last summer’s training camp seemed primed for high performance. But the creeping injury issues combined with the salary-cap concerns has the front office considering asking Ware to take a serious pay cut or possibly giving him his outright release.

The options are clear (and Jones knows it):

1 Leave Ware’s existing deal as it is, featuring cap hits of $16 million (in 2014), $17 million (in 2015), $14 million (in 2016) and $14 million (in 2017). The only person who really considers this an option at all is Ware himself.

2 Make Ware a post-June 1 cut. If the Cowboys release Ware after June 1, the cap hit amounts to $8 million spread over the ensuing two years. The downside is Dallas robs itself of free-agent shopping room during March because they are hamstrung until post-June 1.

3 If Ware does not budge, the Cowboys can cut him before June 1, thus moving the cap charge from $16 million to $8.5 million – a savings of $7.5 million.

4 Work with Ware to re-negotiate a new deal that cuts his salary … possibly in half, but ideally in some way that includes incentives should Ware return to form.
How reluctant is Jones to pull one of these triggers?

“I wouldn’t discuss timing because I don’t have a time,’’ he said. “Could do it this afternoon. Could do it tomorrow afternoon. Or could do it a week from today, or two weeks from today. But, no, we haven’t thought about it. I’m not planning on visiting with him today.’’

Well, not today. But soon. And yes, they have thought about it – Jones just doesn’t like to think about it.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Yup.

I'm going to think back fondly to what seemed like a never ending era of mediocrity that brought upon not one, but many humiliating losses.

If you were to put together a top 10 most embarrassing losses in Cowboys history list, the 2006 to present Cowboys would be responsible for at least 7 of them.....but outside of that, I'm gonna long for the days of Romo and company.
Oh come on, we don't lose any differently than the other teams in the league

Top Bottom