Jerry Explains What He Was Doing Talking To His Head Coach In The Middle Of A Game

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Apparently he said on his radio show this morning that one reason he went to the sideline was to inspire the team. :picard

Kbrown

Not So New Member
No I don't agree with how some owners run their business it but it doesn't matter what I believe in that regard. I believe stronger in the idea that if someone owns something they should have the right to administer it as they choose.
I still can't figure out what the point of this little odyssey was. Was Gosselin proposing legal action or something that I missed?

As an aside, the Cowboys look halfway decent for part of a season, and like clockwork Jerry inserts himself into the story, with visions of the NFL Film where he heroically gets Romo back in the game to throw the game winner. It worked out about like we've come to expect.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I still can't figure out what the point of this little odyssey was. Was Gosselin proposing legal action or something that I missed?

As an aside, the Cowboys look halfway decent for part of a season, and like clockwork Jerry inserts himself into the story, with visions of the NFL Film where he heroically gets Romo back in the game to throw the game winner. It worked out about like we've come to expect.
Is there ever a point to a discussion forum? :art

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones defends his presence on the sideline
Posted Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2014

BY CHAREAN WILLIAMS
cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

Jerry Jones doesn’t understand all the fuss.

Grilled on his weekly radio show about his sideline conversation with coach Jason Garrett, Jones, at one point, seemed irritated at the line of questioning.

The owner repeated what he said immediately after the overtime loss to the Redskins: He was merely relaying information to Garrett that X-rays on Tony Romo’s back were negative.

“While they were still working with Tony and considering getting him moving around and seeing how he felt doing that, I knew that we didn’t have him out for the year, I wanted to get that word to Jason,” Jones said Wednesday morning on KRLD-FM. “Secondly, I told [Garrett] to get his thinking cap on, and that Tony was coming back out and could probably play.”

Romo received a pain-killing injection and returned to the game with 1:52 to play after missing 21:09 of the second half. But Jones said he never ordered Romo’s return to the game, which was seconded by Garrett on Tuesday.

“[My visit was] not at all [designed to tell Garrett] whether to play [Romo] or not,” Jones said. “That’s his decision.”

Jones remained on the sideline for most of the fourth quarter, leaving for overtime. He said he hoped to “inspire” them.

“No. 1, I wanted to go down there and do what I could, look our guys in the eye, look at them, inspire them to overcome Romo not being out there and overcome what I thought was a critical time,” Jones said. “First of all, I’ve been down there hundreds of ball games. Everyone that follows it has certainly seen it, either criticized it or whatever or lived with it.

“Secondly, if you look around this league, you’ll see owners, I noticed Bob McNair down there during the entire, almost first half when we played Houston. But you’ll see owners all the time on the sideline. I’m not going to say all the time, but you’ll see certain owners down there a lot. But that’s from that standpoint. I know for a fact you see a lot of management people on the sideline.

“It’s just not an issue. I’ve always felt that seeing the attitude, seeing what’s going on, getting the pulse, looking at who’s in to it, looking at how they’re into it, looking at how they’re reacting on the sideline, all of that is just part of understanding the team, getting to be a better decision-maker.” :lol

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Basically, I believe it means that if a player is unhappy or whatever, they can bypass the head coach, whine to JJ and he will take care of whatever the issue is. There has been talk of that sort of thing bouncing around since Parcells was HC.
This was going since Switzer was "HC". I remember reports players like Deion going to JJ to get approval to miss a practice and JJ over-riding Gailey.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Apparently he said on his radio show this morning that one reason he went to the sideline was to inspire the team. :picard
Legend in his own mind...

And I think we all remember JJ running to the field a few years ago in our late season game against Philly so he could "update" Garrett in mid-game about the results of the Giants game.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Legend in his own mind...

And I think we all remember JJ running to the field a few years ago in our late season game against Philly so he could "update" Garrett in mid-game about the results of the Giants game.
Oh yes...

"Jason didn't need to be making that decision by himself."

Top Bottom