Romo "developing" a spin move?

kidd

DCC 4Life
So I caught a clip on my NFL NOW app that had Brian Baldinger discussing how Tony Romo has "developed" a spin move this year. Is it just me or hasn't he had that same spin move in his arsenal for a few years now?

I love how everyone is trying to make it seem like Romo has dramatically improved this season when his "improved" play has simply been a result of the better supporting cast surrounding him.

As I've said before, he's still the same QB. He just has a better team.

townsend

Banned
Yep, that 'spin' has been a constant part of his game. I dunno if he's improved, or if the game has let him stop taking as many dumb chances, but I noticed in the Giants game in particular that he wasn't forcing many throws.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Yep, that 'spin' has been a constant part of his game. I dunno if he's improved, or if the game has let him stop taking as many dumb chances, but I noticed in the Giants game in particular that he wasn't forcing many throws.
He trusts his defense not to blow a lead thus limiting him from trying to jack up the score. He trusts other players not named Witten or Dez so he's not forcing the ball. Murray takes a huge load off his shoulders so he can relax and play football knowing the game isn't all on him to win it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I was wondering how long it would take Kidd to start a Romo thread. :lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it has always been a part of his game but that doesn't mean it isn't something he has worked on. This year it literally looks like he is setting defenders up with the spin move. In the past I think it was more something he just did in a panic.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He trusts his defense not to blow a lead thus limiting him from trying to jack up the score. He trusts other players not named Witten or Dez so he's not forcing the ball. Murray takes a huge load off his shoulders so he can relax and play football knowing the game isn't all on him to win it.
That is pretty much it right there.

The last time he played this well, this consistently, was when we had Barber running well.

Then we went through a long series of years where things were supposedly "Romo-friendly" but they really weren't.

data

Forbes #1
Next they'll be talking about how Romo's developed a rapport with Witten this year.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
You know I love me some Romo but I don't think it's as bad as you and others make it out to be.
It is that bad.

You've defended every single one of his interceptions, even the most brutal which were indefensible.

No offense, it's just the truth. I like Romo and would love to see him win a ring, but no one can deny that he in unreliable in crunch time.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
He's always had the spin move but there was a period where he got away from it a bit and tried to hang in the pocket more. That one play he had to recover a crappy snap by Gurode against who was it, the Rams? That was the stuff of legends and even though it didn't involve a spin move, it's a prime example of his ability to improvise. We went through that spell with crappy lines that he wasn't confident playing behind for awhile and for good reason, because he was getting hammered even when he wasn't being sacked. It seemed as though he became kind of gun shy after the hits and injuries started piling up.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Then we went through a long series of years where things were supposedly "Romo-friendly" but they really weren't.
Ayuh. This is the first year that the Cowboys are actually Romo-friendly.

kidd

DCC 4Life
It is that bad.

You've defended every single one of his interceptions, even the most brutal which were indefensible.

No offense, it's just the truth. I like Romo and would love to see him win a ring, but no one can deny that he in unreliable in crunch time.
And you're one who hangs every loss on him no matter how well he plays. You tried to hang the Denver loss on him last year...a game in which he threw for 500 yds and I think it was 5 tds.

I have always acknowledged his mistakes. He made his fair share against Chicago two years ago. But just because I point out some mistakes made by others, such as Dez running the wrong route on at least two plays, or Murray fumbling, you get that retard anger of yours up and throw around accusations.

"Oh romo NEVER does wrong in YOUR eyes, Kidd!"

And you come up with some great reasoning as to why you think he sucks. Reasons like:

"He wears his hat backwards!!1!"

"Doesn't have angry face!!1!1!!"

Yeah...

You're that bad.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It is that bad.

Without a running game or a defense it's always crunch time. Sure, he's made his share of crucial mistakes, but he wouldn't have won us any games in 2011-2013 by being safe with the football. Our Defense was in nuclear meltdown by the end of the season and the Red Headed Jackass was refusing to run the football. He had to either be aggressive or go 3 and out over and over and being overly aggressive caused turnovers. Bad game plan, bad play calling, and eventually bad execution. He failed, for sure, but he was put in a position to fail.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Not a single game? You sure about that?
Maybe the Detroit game in 2011. But remember, your boyfriend said after the 2013 Green Bay game that he liked to "stay aggressive" with a big lead, proving he didn't learn a damned thing from 2011 to 2013.

If Romo had adopted a more conservative approach with his throws overall, the offense would have bogged down into a litany of 3 and outs that would just expose our terrible defense. It would have been totally different if we'd actually used the running game, but everyone already knows that except you.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Maybe the Detroit game in 2011.
Yeah, "maybe" that one, and maybe a few more too.

But remember
No, no one is talking about that shit; people say I bring it up, but it seems like you are the one incapable of discussing a topic without going there... at least as obsessively as I'm alleged to be.

You said Romo couldn't have won us "any" games by playing it safe for 3 whole seasons. That's a stretch and you know it.

Romo has thrown away multiple games all by himself over the years and there's no reason to sugarcoat it otherwise. I like the guy and support him, but there isnt really much to say besides the fact that he's thrown some awful INTs at bad times.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Yeah, "maybe" that one, and maybe a few more too.

No, no one is talking about that shit; people say I bring it up, but it seems like you are the one incapable of discussing a topic without going there... at least as obsessively as I'm alleged to be.

You said Romo couldn't have won us "any" games by playing it safe for 3 whole seasons. That's a stretch and you know it.

Romo has thrown away multiple games all by himself over the years and there's no reason to sugarcoat it otherwise. I like the guy and support him, but there isnt really much to say besides the fact that he's thrown some awful INTs at bad times.
We'd have won fewer games if he consistently ate the ball or threw it away over the course of those seasons when a pass would have been risky.

He would have won a few more games if he had been conservative when we had the lead, but his coach was ordering him not to be.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We'd have won fewer games if he consistently ate the ball or threw it away over the course of those seasons when a pass would have been risky.

He would have won a few more games if he had been conservative when we had the lead, but his coach was ordering him not to be.
You're just making shit up now. Romo was ordered to be aggressive on every single game losing INT over the years? Please provide your proof.

We all know Romo single handedly lost us games over the years and there is nothing deeper about it than that.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
You're just making shit up now. Romo was ordered to be aggressive on every single game losing INT over the years? Please provide your proof.

We all know Romo single handedly lost us games over the years and there is nothing deeper about it than that.
My proof is what Garrett said after the Green Bay game when he was asked why he didn't run the ball. "We wanted to stay aggressive."

Not "We wanted to be smart with the football." He admitted that he valued "staying aggressive" at all times over protecting the lead.

Top Bottom