Gosselin: If I'm Cleveland Browns, I'm calling Jerry Jones today and offering Manziel

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Gosselin: If I'm Cleveland Browns, I'm calling Jerry Jones today and offering Johnny Manziel

SportsDayDFW.com
Published: 08 September 2014 11:28 PM
Updated: 09 September 2014 08:17 PM

SportsDay columnist Rick "Goose" Gosselin hosted a chat Tuesday morning to talk everything sports. Here are some of the highlights.

Question: All the jabbering about Johnny Manziel worries me. Jones wanted him, and if we get a high draft pick, which i am sure from what I saw yesterday we will, Jerry Jones will screw that up too or he will trade away picks to get Manziel.

Gosselin: If I were the Cleveland Browns, I'd call Jones today and offer him Manziel for a first round pick in 2015. The Browns fleeced the Colts out of their one for RB Trent Richardson last year and might also get the Cowboys to bite this year. Jones clearly has been mourning his decision not to take him in the 2014 draft. The Browns might wind up with a Top 10 pick in return for a guy who's not even playing for them right now.

Question: If Tony keeps playing like he did Sunday for the next couple of weeks, how long before we see Brandon Weeden? Big salary could wind up costing Ws?

Gosselin: Brandon Weeden's not the answer. The rap on him at Cleveland was his poor decision with the football. We've already had our fill of those with Romo.

Question: Should Jason Garrett have benched Romo for the second half, since the game was already out of hand and he continued to make bone-headed mistakes? It would have at least sent a message to the team.

Gosselin: I thought that myself. He took a couple of hellacious hits on sacks. Justin Smith absolutely crushed him twice. At 28-3 at halftime, I didn't see the Cowboys coming back against a team that has played in three consecutive NFC title games. And down four scores, the Cowboys were going to have to throw, throw, throw to get back in. So the 49ers were going to be bringing a rush every down. Any hit could end Romo's season. That said, Romo played fewer than 50 snaps in the preseason and, in my opinion, wasn't ready for the season. His body wasn't ready, his arm wasn't ready. So the second half of that game gave him snaps he sorely could have used in training camp. Maybe he'll be better prepared to play against Tennessee now than he was the 49ers.

Question: Are there rumblings and/or discontent from the rest of the team about the pitiful play of Romo? The D, although not spectacular, was good enough, and D. Murray was a beast. Surely, they must be aggravated by a QB who essentially threw away the game. Aren't some of the players annoyed/frustrated by him making the same mistakes year after year?

Gosselin: When the doors are open to the press, they say all the right things to us. Not sure what's said behind closed doors. But it's a quarterback's game and everyone in that locker room knows Romo still gives them their best chance of winning. He's capable of playing well. But sometimes he goes off the grid and throws the bonehead pass that sends his team spiraling to defeat. I do think the Cowboys could neutralize some of that with handoffs to Murray -- but the organizational philosophy is to throw the ball. The owner, GM, head coach, offensive coordinator and quarterback all want the ball in the air. So they are resigned to live with the results.

data

Forbes #1
:lol if we had two ex-Browns at QB.

Brady Quinn's in the corner saying :wave

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Anyone who would trade a #1 pick for Johnny Manziel is a complete retard.

Just like with Richardson, the Browns can keep polishing all they want, but it's still a turd.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Hopefully Jerry's too busy in court to consider this exercise in idiocy Gosselin suggests.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Way too many drama queens running around complaining about Romo. A smart coach would realize that every qb has limitations and try to work within them. A dumb fucking coach would continue to make him throw the goddamn football 40 times a game. Ever see Aikman's record when he had to throw 39+ times a game? From '89-'95 he was 1-14. Yeah. Can't remember how many attempts he had last year but I know in 2012 he AVERAGED over 40 attempts a game. Garrett as no business being an NFL head coach. None.
You cannot continue to suck at game plans and ask your qb to bail you out every fucking game. Many here have seen us go down by a field goal and JG will completely abandon the running game. Hell, we were up by 23 against GB last year and ran the ball, what, 7 times in the 2nd half? You literally could've almost handed off every play and won the game. And how did that game end? A Romo interception.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Way too many drama queens running around complaining about Romo. A smart coach would realize that every qb has limitations and try to work within them. A dumb fucking coach would continue to make him throw the goddamn football 40 times a game. Ever see Aikman's record when he had to throw 39+ times a game? From '89-'95 he was 1-14. Yeah. Can't remember how many attempts he had last year but I know in 2012 he AVERAGED over 40 attempts a game. Garrett as no business being an NFL head coach. None.
You cannot continue to suck at game plans and ask your qb to bail you out every fucking game. Many here have seen us go down by a field goal and JG will completely abandon the running game. Hell, we were up by 23 against GB last year and ran the ball, what, 7 times in the 2nd half? You literally could've almost handed off every play and won the game. And how did that game end? A Romo interception.
Garrett is less of a problem than an owner who comes out and says our success rides on Romo. How he goes, the team goes. Said it point blank several times this offseason.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

~slow clap~

Genghis Khan

Garrett is less of a problem than an owner who comes out and says our success rides on Romo. How he goes, the team goes. Said it point blank several times this offseason.
I think he's right though.

I'm not so sure Garrett's less of a problem either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
~slow clap~
I still think Romo bears some blame. He is the guy who chooses to audible out of run plays.

I believe he's still the same kid on a shitty team from college who thinks he has to do it all.

The reality now isn't that he has to do it all. We have the capability of running the football and his protection is some that many other QBs would be just fine with.

So when does he man up and decide to trust more players than a select few? When is he going to trust his OL to get that one yard for him?

Think back to Aikman in the 1990s. He did not need the glory and he knew he could trust his OL and RB to get the job done. Does not seem like Romo is comfortable doing that. Ever see a 14-20, 175 yards and a TD line out of him?

Honestly, if I were playing on a team like that, I would start to not only resent the coaching but the player himself.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I still think Romo bears some blame. He is the guy who chooses to audible out of run plays.

I believe he's still the same kid on a shitty team from college who thinks he has to do it all.

The reality now isn't that he has to do it all. We have the capability of running the football and his protection is some that many other QBs would be just fine with.

So when does he man up and decide to trust more players than a select few? When is he going to trust his OL to get that one yard for him?

Think back to Aikman in the 1990s. He did not need the glory and he knew he could trust his OL and RB to get the job done. Does not seem like Romo is comfortable doing that. Ever see a 14-20, 175 yards and a TD line out of him?

Honestly, if I were playing on a team like that, I would start to not only resent the coaching but the player himself.
If we see a day where he has 14 completions for 175 yards, it's not because he only threw it 20 times. It would be because he threw it 40 times and had 4 INTs to go along with that stat line.

Genghis Khan

I agree Romo deserves some of the blame.

But he's also capable of winning if handled correctly.

Or at least that used to be true.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
They have wasted his career. And yeah booze, I agree he audibles too much but I blame the coaches for giving him the authority. I think he could've had a much better career with someone like David Lee in his ear.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
They have wasted his career. And yeah booze, I agree he audibles too much but I blame the coaches for giving him the authority. I think he could've had a much better career with someone like David Lee in his ear.
Any strong offensive mind would have been better for Romo than his enabling buddy. If a guy like Norv Turner had been running the offense he'd have worked to make Romo better, not make him happy.

Top Bottom