Kavner - Marinelli: A Guy With Career Sacks Starts Somewhere

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Marinelli: A Guy With Career Sacks Starts Somewhere

Posted 3 hours ago

Rowan Kavner

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – Three of the Cowboys’ four starting defensive linemen last Sunday hadn’t ever recorded an NFL sack.

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli’s cycling in and out a lot of young linemen who’ve yet to prove anything, but he knows all the best pass rushers in the league had to start somewhere and he believes in his group.

“That’s who we are, and that’s what we have to do,” Marinelli said. “All of a sudden, career sacks, a guy with career sacks starts somewhere. So let’s start from here. Bruce Smith didn’t have 200 to start with, but let’s go. Believe in these guys, coach them, rotate them, and let’s see where we are.

Many expected Henry Melton to be a starter Week 1 coming off ACL surgery. But after missing time in the preseason with a groin injury and recovering from the knee injury, Melton was used off the bench in favor of undrafted rookie Davon Coleman in the opener.

Melton played 26 snaps, and that number should continue to climb, particularly if he starts this week. Marinelli’s ideal snap total for Melton is in the 38 to 40 range, but he’s got to work up to that total.

“A guy like him, you don’t want to wear him down because of his quickness. So I’m hoping around that,” Marinelli said. “We’ll see. If he’s tired, I’ll pull him and kind of see where he’s at. The game dictates that. A longer drive, we may take him out. You get in some three and outs, hopefully, and he’s getting a little bit of rest in between.”

Melton’s not the only lineman with an ideal range of snaps.

Marinelli doesn’t put a specific number on exactly how many snaps each player will get before the game, but he has a range in mind for each of the defensive linemen. The defensive coordinator said he has someone chart every snap and gets a feel for how the game is going and how tired the player looks.

“Sometimes, guy’s fresh, feels good and he’s in a rhythm, you don’t want to take a guy out of a rhythm,” Marinelli said. “I feel better with that than, say, ‘This many snaps.’ You might have somebody get hot and really flying and he doesn’t look real tired right now, so you keep him going.”

Defensive end Jeremy Mincey played the most snaps of any lineman with 43. Tyrone Crawford, Nick Hayden and Coleman – the other three starters – each had 33 snaps. Marinelli said it’d be nice to get a lot of reps for eight different defensive linemen, but he has to have the confidence the second group of linemen will attack just as hard as the first.

“I always feel good about these guys because they work so hard,” Marinelli said. “They really work, and I think any time you put that much work into a practice, you’re going to get better and you’re going to get better. By rotating these guys in the week, they’re a little fresher during the week to have good practices.”
-------

It has to start somewhere?

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I understand Marinelli's point but Bruce Smith was a #1 overall pick so that's a poor example. He would have been better off using Kevin Greene, a mid round pick as an example but I'm probably just bored waiting for Sunday's loss and therefore picking nits. :shrug

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
You know, I've always thought Kevin Greene should be a hall of famer. Nobody likes him because he's a dick, though. He's like White Charles Haley (who stayed healthy longer).

You know, besides his sack numbers he recovered and forced a shitload of fumbles over his career. He was always after the football. A lot of his sacks were cleanup sacks and coverage sacks because he'd go for second and third moves and keep working back to the QB or the ball carrier and I respect that.

Some guys who were picked even lower: Richard Dent, Michael Sinclair, Bryce Paup and Karl Mecklenburg. All great pass rushers, especially Dent, who finally got into the HOF.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
All great pass rushers, especially Dent, who finally got into the HOF.
Dent is in the HOF for leading the '85 Bears, the most dominant defense ever. Period. He was also great vs the run which made that defense even better. I believe he's a borderline HOFer, but it was hard to reward guys on that defense because there were so many great players they all split the credit.

It's the inherent contradiction of a HOF that rewards individuals in what is the ultimate team sport. The Hall is about greatness and dominance more than stats though, and it should be. It's why DeMarcus Ware won't get in unless he gets Denver that Lombardi. In a way, some stats are bullshit, and especially at the 3-4 OLB position which is built to pile up sack numbers without needing to be physically dominant.

Kevin Greene's didn't succeed in the playoffs, and no one counts those mid-90's Pittsburgh teams in what was maybe the crappiest AFC ever. I also don't think people had enough respect for what he did as a Ram because it was the Rams, and that sucks for him. He was incredibly good for a long time, so it's possible he gets in, especially if he continues to do well as a coach.

Maybe the pro-wrestler vibe turns off HOF voters?

p1_

DCC 4Life
It's why DeMarcus Ware won't get in unless he gets Denver that Lombardi.
Now there's a hot sport opinion. Wow, DeMarcus gets the snub. I don't see it that way, but who knows.....

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Now there's a hot sport opinion. Wow, DeMarcus gets the snub. I don't see it that way, but who knows.....
He's already wearing down thanks to the huge number of snaps he's played. To have a shot with straight-up stats, DWare has to have several more double-digit sack seasons. That's hard to do at his age and in a 4-3 defense.

But if he's perceived as a difference-maker on a playoff/Super Bowl team it makes the stats support his bid instead of the entire reason.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Dent is in the HOF for leading the '85 Bears, the most dominant defense ever. Period. He was also great vs the run which made that defense even better. I believe he's a borderline HOFer, but it was hard to reward guys on that defense because there were so many great players they all split the credit.

It's the inherent contradiction of a HOF that rewards individuals in what is the ultimate team sport. The Hall is about greatness and dominance more than stats though, and it should be. It's why DeMarcus Ware won't get in unless he gets Denver that Lombardi. In a way, some stats are bullshit, and especially at the 3-4 OLB position which is built to pile up sack numbers without needing to be physically dominant.

Kevin Greene's didn't succeed in the playoffs, and no one counts those mid-90's Pittsburgh teams in what was maybe the crappiest AFC ever. I also don't think people had enough respect for what he did as a Ram because it was the Rams, and that sucks for him. He was incredibly good for a long time, so it's possible he gets in, especially if he continues to do well as a coach.

Maybe the pro-wrestler vibe turns off HOF voters?
I would have put Dent in before Hampton. His sack numbers were a little inflated because of the blitzing in that defense but that defense wouldn't have worked without a dominant pass rusher in his spot.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He's already wearing down thanks to the huge number of snaps he's played. To have a shot with straight-up stats, DWare has to have several more double-digit sack seasons. That's hard to do at his age and in a 4-3 defense.

But if he's perceived as a difference-maker on a playoff/Super Bowl team it makes the stats support his bid instead of the entire reason.
I think you are way off base Ware gets in because he was a great all around player, he was never thought of as a 1 trick pony.

Also add in the fact that he is loved by all media and IMO its almost a lock, if he gets in the top 10 of sacks which he only needs 14 more and its Brady Bottle Lock.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I would have put Dent in before Hampton. His sack numbers were a little inflated because of the blitzing in that defense but that defense wouldn't have worked without a dominant pass rusher in his spot.
Dent was a beast.
I think you are way off base Ware gets in because he was a great all around player, he was never thought of as a 1 trick pony.

Also add in the fact that he is loved by all media and IMO its almost a lock, if he gets in the top 10 of sacks which he only needs 14 more and its Brady Bottle Lock.
I love the guy and would like nothing more for him. FYI, Kevin Greene who is 3rd in career sacks all-time with 160 hasn't sniffed the Hall. Jason Taylor is ahead of Dent and Randle, but I don't think he gets in. Strahan is just barely ahead of Taylor, and I think he's a first ballot lock.

I'm most surprised Chris Doleman made it. He has over 150 sacks (sorry NoDak, I mean 150.5 sacks), but while I liked him on my fantasy team in 1988 I was never inspired by his leadership or skill in the playoffs. If Doleman is in, I can't see how Greene is not.

Top Bottom