Moore: Faith in Randle dwindling, Cowboys could have big running back shakeup

p1_

DCC 4Life
Moore: With faith in Joseph Randle dwindling, Cowboys could have big running back shakeup

The Dallas Morning News

Published: 05 October 2015 09:06 PM

IRVING -- Joseph Randle appears to be the rare running back who loses the faith of his coaches the more he scores.

What this means for his role in the Cowboys' committee approach is under review.

Pinning the team's second consecutive loss on Randle is patently unfair. His performance isn't the sole reason the Cowboys did something no other team has done since October of last season, which is lose to New Orleans at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

Mounting injuries and defensive shortcomings ignited this downward spiral.

But the ground game, headed by Randle to this point, has done nothing to brake the slide. His dysfunctional blend of productivity and unreliability symbolizes what the Cowboys must fix in this rotation.

Lance Dunbar's season-ending injury accelerates the need to address the committee's structure immediately.

"I think we're always evaluating,'' head coach Jason Garrett said. "It will happen naturally with Lance being out. We'll look at it in practice and games, and we'll look at what we're asking guys to do."

What the Cowboys have asked their backs to do these last two games without quarterback Tony Romo and Dez Bryant has worked.

Until it hasn't.

The dichotomy: The Cowboys have 200 more yards rushing in the first half of the last two games than they have in the second. Randle has gained 117 yards on the ground in that span in the first half and lost four yards in the second.

That's not a misprint. Randle's eight second half carries have lost yardage during this losing streak.

If you take the entire season into account, Randle has 23 carries for 43 yards after halftime. He has touched the ball only twice in the fourth quarter this season, an indication the coaches don't trust him with the outcome in doubt.

This was reinforced in the overtime loss to the Saints. Eight days after Garrett told Randle not to leave his feet in an attempt to score at the goal line, the running back did it again in the first half of Sunday night's game.

He fumbled and the officials ruled New Orleans recovered the ball. The call was reversed and the Cowboys were awarded the touchdown, but that didn't prevent Garrett, running backs coach Gary Brown and offensive line coach Frank Pollack forcefully telling Randle he was being too reckless with the ball.

Garrett talked Monday about how players sometimes revert to bad habits. He believes Randle will listen and rectify this flaw.

But the head coach conceded Randle's diminished work load the remainder of the evening -- he didn't step on the field in the fourth quarter -- was a punitive measure along with what the game dictated.

"A little bit of a combination," Garrett said.

The second-half problems with the ground game aren't just a Randle thing. Brice Butler's 67-yard third quarter reception gave the Cowboys a first-and-goal at the 9-yard line against the Saints.

Last season, the Cowboys would have hammered at New Orleans on the ground for a play or two. This version didn't even think about running. Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan called two unsuccessful fade routes to Terrance Williams in the end zone before quarterback Brandon Weeden was sacked for an 11-yard loss on third down, forcing Dallas to settle for a field goal.

Down 20-13 and facing a third-and-one midway through the fourth quarter, Christine Michael took the field for his first and only time in a Dallas uniform. He lost a yard and the Cowboys were forced to punt.

The second half script was similar in the loss to Atlanta.

"I think it's an approach by a defense in [Sunday's] game to really stay committed to taking the run away and committing a lot of people to the line of scrimmage," Garrett said.

The Cowboys aren't beating man coverage consistently enough in the passing game -- Williams caught three passes for 49 yards and a touchdown in the loss to New Orleans but was targeted 10 times -- to warrant a reduction in the number of players the defense devotes to stopping the run. That doesn't mean the coaching staff accepts the status quo.

Should Darren McFadden receive more carries at the expense of Randle? Now that Dunbar has gone down, how does Michael work into the rotation? Will Randle or McFadden assume Dunbar's role as the primary receiver out of the backfield?

"Lance was a weapon for us and we tried to use him as a weapon in a lot of different ways to impact our offense and impact the game," Garrett said. "To say we have someone in house who is going to do those same kinds of things, I don't know that we have somebody like that. But we have guys in house who can do different things."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shake it like a Polaroid picture. Looks like the Randle chapter is gonna be brief. Can't say I disagree. Talk about coming up small.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Christine Michael needs to get more carries regardless. I think we are idiots for not using Randle in the second half of games more. Unlike McFadden, Randle has at least shown an ability to break some tackles and make a big play happen. Something we have desperately needed in the second half of these games.

The real way to do things would be to use Michael early to wear defenses down and then use Randle in the second half to break the long runs against a tired defense. Either way, a combination of those two makes the most sense. Then use McFadden in the Dunbar role. Let him be the receiving RB that you use in the two minute drill and who you line up wide in the slot.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Really need to get Michael into the game plan. IMO they came into this season planning to simulate the running game by passing to the backs and counting on Romo's accuracy. Leaving aside the fact that that was a stupid plan, they need to use the one power back we lucked into to go back to a power running game and try to chuck it deep enough times to either make them back off or make them pay for putting 9 in the box.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Christine Michael needs to get more carries regardless. I think we are idiots for not using Randle in the second half of games more. Unlike McFadden, Randle has at least shown an ability to break some tackles and make a big play happen. Something we have desperately needed in the second half of these games.

The real way to do things would be to use Michael early to wear defenses down and then use Randle in the second half to break the long runs against a tired defense. Either way, a combination of those two makes the most sense. Then use McFadden in the Dunbar role. Let him be the receiving RB that you use in the two minute drill and who you line up wide in the slot.
We're not idiots. The times we've used him in the second half this year he's been worse than useless. We can't keep putting ourselves in 2nd and 3rd and long and expect to move the ball.

It's time to get real about Randle. A majority of his carries - probably a large majority - are subpar, 3 yards or less. That's not good. You can't live like that and expect to be successful as an offense.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Really need to get Michael into the game plan. IMO they came into this season planning to simulate the running game by passing to the backs and counting on Romo's accuracy. Leaving aside the fact that that was a stupid plan, they need to use the one power back we lucked into to go back to a power running game and try to chuck it deep enough times to either make them back off or make them pay for putting 9 in the box.
Correct. Michael is our only hope. The other clowns had their shot and they can't do it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Also, the offensive coaching staff needs to scout itself better. They need to shake up their tendencies and go play action deep on first down. If that doesn't work maybe try to hit a 6-7 yard pass on second down to shorten up third for a run.

Also, run out of 3 WR sets. If defenses stack 8 in the box against that formation we should be able to pass against it even with Weeden.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, the offensive coaching staff needs to scout itself better. They need to shake up their tendencies and go play action deep on first down. If that doesn't work maybe try to hit a 6-7 yard pass on second down to shorten up third for a run.

Also, run out of 3 WR sets. If defenses stack 8 in the box against that formation we should be able to pass against it even with Weeden.
We all saw what happens when you have 1 on 1 on the outside and you toss it deep to the WR. We need to do that way more often. Especially with Weeden who is rarely able to complete the 10-20 yard pass. You might as well try and get those yards in the big chunk as opposed to slowly working your way down the field where one mistake kills the drive.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
We all saw what happens when you have 1 on 1 on the outside and you toss it deep to the WR. We need to do that way more often. Especially with Weeden who is rarely able to complete the 10-20 yard pass. You might as well try and get those yards in the big chunk as opposed to slowly working your way down the field where one mistake kills the drive.
I remember in 2003 throwing deep to Galloway and Glenn was about the only thing we let Q-tard do. Weeden has a big arm and you can't convince me he's a less accurate or dumber QB than Quincy Carter.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember in 2003 throwing deep to Galloway and Glenn was about the only thing we let Q-tard do. Weeden has a big arm and you can't convince me he's a less accurate or dumber QB than Quincy Carter.
The deep ball to Butler was a perfect throw. Weeden has always been great at that throw. We just need to get him to attempt it more.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That deep fly is easy to see which is important because "QB vision" is something Weeden clearly lacks.

We need playcalling like Chucky used in the 02/03 Super Bowl with Brad Johnson. He made sure nearly every pass was a designed throw to a new target. Simplified things for Johnson, and had the Raiders' heads spinning.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's not rocket science why the run production is low in the second half. Opponents load up for it because of the reluctance of coaches to go down the field with the passing game. This stops drives and wears out the Dallas defense. Until the game plan changes it will continue.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That deep fly is easy to see which is important because "QB vision" is something Weeden clearly lacks.

We need playcalling like Chucky used in the 02/03 Super Bowl with Brad Johnson. He made sure nearly every pass was a designed throw to a new target. Simplified things for Johnson, and had the Raiders' heads spinning.
Disagree. Weedin made his reputation with the long ball in college.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Disagree. Weedin made his reputation with the long ball in college.
Forgive me, I probably wasn't very clear. I agree he needs to throw long, mainly because it's the easiest kind of pass to throw and likely the least damaging if missed.

It's the intermediate/deep-intermediate passing where he's struggled mightily because he doesn't see well.

There was a recent video that did a great job of breaking it down.

Jason Garrett was kind of the same way back in the 90's.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Forgive me, I probably wasn't very clear. I agree he needs to throw long, mainly because it's the easiest kind of pass to throw and likely the least damaging if missed.

It's the intermediate/deep-intermediate passing where he's struggled mightily because he doesn't see well.

There was a recent video that did a great job of breaking it down.

Jason Garrett was kind of the same way back in the 90's.
Yeah, that was the thing opponents missed about Garrett back then that bit them in the ass. He actually had fantastic touch on the deep ball. People didn't think he had the arm strength to throw it deep so they didn't respect that part of his game.

shane

DCC 4Life
I kinda like the way Randle's looked overall. However, with the injuries of Dez and Romo, he doesn't have what it takes to put the team on his shoulders even behind this great offensive line (which hasn't looked all that great recently either)

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I kinda like the way Randle's looked overall. However, with the injuries of Dez and Romo, he doesn't have what it takes to put the team on his shoulders even behind this great offensive line (which hasn't looked all that great recently either)
Seems people were raving about it in the first half of the Falcons game...

Last year was extraordinary because the Cowboys had great skill players who were enabled to do what they do more often than not by an excellent OL.

Enabling, that's all a OL can do.

No offensive line dominates a game without good skill players. That doesn't exist in the NFL.

Dallas has no RB, no QB, no WR, and an outstanding TE.

Good luck with that. Enabled garbage is still garbage.

They are set to be average.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
An OL has to trust who is running just like who is throwing. They don't feel confident in either and even when Romo was out there they didn't seem sure of the runner.

I am confident they had a rapport with Murray and that played a big role on how he performed last season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Joseph Randle admits reaching ball out “wasn’t the most fundamental thing to do”

By Charean Williams

cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

IRVING —

Joseph Randle apparently has learned his lesson.

Coaches admonished the third-year running back for holding the ball over the goal line two weeks in a row. Coach Jason Garrett acknowledged earlier this week that it played into Randle being sidelined the rest of the first half Sunday.

“It wasn’t the most fundamental thing to do, but I’m going to keep grinding,” Randle said.

Randle then took his leave, having answered four questions.

The past two games, without Tony Romo and Dez Bryant, the Cowboys have run 49 times for 242 yards. But only 17 of those carries and 21 of those yards have come in the second half.

Randle has 17 carries for 117 yards in the first halves of the past two games, and eight carries for minus-4 yards in the second.

“I think we’re missing that bigger run in the second half,” offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said. “I’ve always said, you get two or three long runs in the game, the running game looks a lot different even if maybe 25 of the runs were getting 2 or 3 yards, you know? I think the biggest thing we’ve got to improve upon is not having the lost yardage plays. I think what’s happened to us in the last two games, we’ve had some negative runs, significant negative runs that have really hindered our ability to stay on the field. First-down runs where we lose 2 or 3 yards, that’s big. The biggest thing we’re harping on, a zero gain or 1-yard gain is not a negative. We’re running against some loaded boxes, and we were last year too, but the one thing we did a good job is we stayed ahead of the chains even on first down. So I think that’s, for me the second half in the last two games, we’ve had some significant negative rush plays that put us behind the eight ball.”
------------
I can't stand a person who continues to screw up by choice and then insults everyone's intelligence by saying he learned. Even worse are those that buy it.

Funny thing is, I bet that "keep grinding" thing impressed Garrett.

This guy is the perfect definition of a malingerer as far as I am concerned.

He is not even dumb in the Hambrick sense of the word.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
An OL has to trust who is running just like who is throwing. They don't feel confident in either and even when Romo was out there they didn't seem sure of the runner.

I am confident they had a rapport with Murray and that played a big role on how he performed last season.
They were apparently close. I recall Murray buying them gifts.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They were apparently close. I recall Murray buying them gifts.
He also attended the OL meetings and took the time to know what they were doing so he could improve his craft.

That kind of thing gets noticed.

Top Bottom