LB Justin Durant expected to miss 3-4 weeks

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
By David Moore
dmoore@dallasnews.com
9:35 am on Sep 10, 2014 | Permalink

It turns out the Cowboys won’t be able to get their best 3 linebackers on the field.

Justin Durant is expected to miss the next 3-4 games with a groin injury, a source said. Durant had 11 tackles in the loss to San Francisco and was responsible for calling the defensive sets.

Durant’s flexibility has been a key to putting this linebacker corps together in the wake of Sean Lee’s season-ending injury. The veteran, who was named a defensive captain, began camp at middle linebacker and played well. But with the emergence of Rolando McClain, and the struggles of Bruce Carter on the weakside, the coaching staff decided to experiment. The Cowboys put McClain in the middle, moved Durant to the weakside and pushed Carter to the strong side.

Those were the starters for the 49ers game. McClain, Durant and Carter played well and finished as the top three tacklers on defense.

What are the Cowboys options during Durant’s absence? They can move Carter back to the weakside and start Kyle Wilber on the strong side. If they want to keep Carter put, they can give Korey Toomer, who was claimed off waivers from Seattle, at look at weakside linebacker.

The Cowboys must also determine if McClain will handle the defensive alignments or someone else.
---------------

Don't worry, fellas. Hostile is on it.

Hostile @HostileCowboy
Follow
@AaronCurry51 The Cowboys just lost Justin Durant for 3 to 4 weeks. I'm serious about hoping you will go give it a shot. The pinnacle calls.
8:48 AM - 10 Sep 2014

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
:lol

What a fucking loser.

Does that guy really think an NFL player is going to read the tweet of some random loser and get up and join the team or call his agent to look into it?

That guy is so pathetic.

Carp

DCC 4Life
This is going to put quite a bit more on McClain's plate...good. I would like to see Toomer as well, guy has some speed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Durant sucks. I'm a little concerned that he is the guy we had calling plays and getting people lined up but otherwise I'm glad to see some of the other LBers on the field.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
What about that Ravens LB that's supposedly on the trading block, Arthur Brown. What do you think it would take to get him? They're maybe in need of RBs. I'd call and see if they might be interested in Randle to start.

Carp

DCC 4Life
What about that Ravens LB that's supposedly on the trading block, Arthur Brown. What do you think it would take to get him? They're maybe in need of RBs. I'd call and see if they might be interested in Randle to start.
I liked Brown quite a bit when he came out, but I can't see them letting him go for Randle.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
They would just force the hand with Williams first. I wouldn't be against it but wouldn't give up much. I don't know what it would take but hopefully a late round would do.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I liked Brown quite a bit when he came out, but I can't see them letting him go for Randle.
I guess I wasn't clear. By saying "to start", I meant to start talks. Not just to start for them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can he play outside LBer because right now the Cowboys best LBer is ILBer Rolando McClain and I don't think he is really a fit anywhere but the middle.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Can he play outside LBer because right now the Cowboys best LBer is ILBer Rolando McClain and I don't think he is really a fit anywhere but the middle.
I'm not going to pretend I know a whole lot about him, but when the story of his possible availability came out the guys on NFLN were saying he could play all three spots. Which makes it even more strange that the Ravens would have him as a healthy scratch. And word is, he'll be inactive Thursday night, too.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not going to pretend I know a whole lot about him, but when the story of his possible availability came out the guys on NFLN were saying he could play all three spots. Which makes it even more strange that the Ravens would have him as a healthy scratch. And word is, he'll be inactive Thursday night, too.
It's a little concerning that the Ravens have given up on a former second round pick so quickly. They aren't usually wrong about these things.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It's a little concerning that the Ravens have given up on a former second round pick so quickly. They aren't usually wrong about these things.
Yeah, that's a definite red flag. If he is any good, I'd assume they are not playing him as to not risk injury while they try to deal him. But on the same token, if he's any good, why would they trade him? Attitude problem?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah, that's a definite red flag. If he is any good, I'd assume they are not playing him as to not risk injury while they try to deal him. But on the same token, if he's any good, why would they trade him? Attitude problem?
You danced around that Spagnola quote pretty good.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I don't see the reason for concern, as while Carter might play slow at times he is a playmaker.

He might not be the brightest, but his big play potential was reason enough for him to have started over Durant.

Wilber did a good job, I thought, going from the 3-4 to 4-3 and he's younger than Durant.

Get your best players on the field...this injury could be protecting them from their own stupidity.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
By David Moore
dmoore@dallasnews.com
9:35 am on Sep 10, 2014 | Permalink

It turns out the Cowboys won’t be able to get their best 3 linebackers on the field.

Justin Durant is expected to miss the next 3-4 games with a groin injury, a source said. Durant had 11 tackles in the loss to San Francisco and was responsible for calling the defensive sets.

Durant’s flexibility has been a key to putting this linebacker corps together in the wake of Sean Lee’s season-ending injury. The veteran, who was named a defensive captain, began camp at middle linebacker and played well. But with the emergence of Rolando McClain, and the struggles of Bruce Carter on the weakside, the coaching staff decided to experiment. The Cowboys put McClain in the middle, moved Durant to the weakside and pushed Carter to the strong side.

Those were the starters for the 49ers game. McClain, Durant and Carter played well and finished as the top three tacklers on defense.

What are the Cowboys options during Durant’s absence? They can move Carter back to the weakside and start Kyle Wilber on the strong side. If they want to keep Carter put, they can give Korey Toomer, who was claimed off waivers from Seattle, at look at weakside linebacker.

The Cowboys must also determine if McClain will handle the defensive alignments or someone else.
---------------

Don't worry, fellas. Hostile is on it.

Hostile @HostileCowboy
Follow
@AaronCurry51 The Cowboys just lost Justin Durant for 3 to 4 weeks. I'm serious about hoping you will go give it a shot. The pinnacle calls.
8:48 AM - 10 Sep 2014
You are one of us, man!

Top Bottom