Bills hire Kathryn Smith, first full-time female coach

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the main thing that bugs me is she basically leapfrogs 99% of the coaches in football, jumping right into the NFL without any experience as a player or coach at any level of the game.

Becky Hammond with the Spurs at least played college and pro basketball at a high level (even against lesser competition). At least players can respect her knowledge of fundamental basketball.
Yeah how do you go from basically a personal assistant position coach. It's kind of a joke really. Of course so is her coaching position. I've never even heard of a coach with that title before.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah how do you go from basically a personal assistant position coach. It's kind of a joke really. Of course so is her coaching position. I've never even heard of a coach with that title before.
Most of them are the kids of head coaches and shit. It is a go-fer. I would not weep too much for all she leapfroged. The whole league’s coaching ranks are full of nepotism.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think the main thing that bugs me is she basically leapfrogs 99% of the coaches in football, jumping right into the NFL without any experience as a player or coach at any level of the game.

Becky Hammond with the Spurs at least played college and pro basketball at a high level (even against lesser competition). At least players can respect her knowledge of fundamental basketball.
http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/01/how_did_new_buffalo_bills_assistant_kathryn_smith_become_the_first_full-time_fem.html

After she graduated high school, Smith attended St. John's University in Queens, N.Y., where she became the manager of the men's basketball team for four years while studying sports management.

She used that job to get a connection to an internship with the New York Jets. At first, her role was minimal. She was a gameday intern in 2003, her freshman year at St. John's. Two years later, Smith became a college scouting intern while still in school. When she graduated from St. John's in 2007, the Jets hired her full time as a player personnel assistant.

Smith's next break came when the Jets hired Rex Ryan to be their head coach in 2009. He was impressed enough with Smith to make her assistant to the head coach in 2014. When the Jets fired Ryan in 2014, he told Smith he wanted her to come with him wherever he got his next job. She agreed.

"They get along famously," Robert Smith said. "She likes him, he likes her. The fact that he asked her to go wherever he ended up is a big vote of confidence for her. She enjoys working for him very much."

The Bills hired Ryan shortly after he was fired, and Smith followed with the title of administrative assistant to the head coach. Shortly after the 2015 season, the Bills fired special teams quality control coach Michael Hamlin, a former NFL safety. A few weeks later, Ryan approached Smith about the opening, and that's how she and the Bills made history.

Jiggyfly

Banned
She is a quality control coach she is breaking down game film every team has somebody that does this.

dallen

Senior Tech
Its the job Wes Phillips had when Wade was HC before he moved to TE coach.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
:lol
She took Michael Hamlin's job.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I read some of the comments from the real female coach, Jen Welter, who interned as an asst. LB coach with the Cardinals.

Turns out the Bills "interviewed" her, before hiring what turns out to be what amounts to promoting Rex's "personal assistant".

She must give a good foot job.

At least Walters had proven football experience.

townsend

Banned
I read some of the comments from the real female coach, Jen Welter, who interned as an asst. LB coach with the Cardinals.

Turns out the Bills "interviewed" her, before hiring what turns out to be what amounts to promoting Rex's "personal assistant".

She must give a good foot job.

At least Walters had proven football experience.
That's shitty. It makes since for Ryan though, the only guy who would hire Rob, and sign a guy who's main qualification is jaw breaking. What a clown. I hope Welter gets a gig soon. The Cardinals will probably be losing some coordinators after this season, so it would make sense for everyone to shift up, and she can come in as a junior assistant.

Rams might be a good destination as well, since they'll be looking for whatever publicity they can get to lure a crowd in to watch their shitty team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, exactly what I said. She knows nothing about the game, she's just Ryan's foot buddy.
I mean don't get me wrong. Good for her. I wish I could just suddenly jump to NFL coach without any real experience. Of course that could never happen for me.

Jiggyfly

Banned
So, exactly what I said. She knows nothing about the game, she's just Ryan's foot buddy.
Did you miss the part about her working for the Jets before Ryan got there and interned as a scout?

She has 7 plus years working in pro football and she is not being hired to coach.

Jiggyfly

Banned
So we are calling being a personal assistant "experience" to be an NFL coach?
Do you know what she was asked to do as a personal asst?

And there is also this.

She used that job to get a connection to an internship with the New York Jets. At first, her role was minimal. She was a gameday intern in 2003, her freshman year at St. John's. Two years later, Smith became a college scouting intern while still in school. When she graduated from St. John's in 2007, the Jets hired her full time as a player personnel assistant.

Her job will be making sure game footage is chopped up like the coaches want, she very well could have been doing this as the personal asst.

You act like she is going from secretary to LB coach.

Top Bottom