Sturm's Xs and Os: Chances down the field, coverage breakdowns from Atlanta

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
You have more faith than I do that the coaches will make adjustments to the gameplan with Weeden starting than I do, apparently.
Not saying I have faith in the coaches, but IMO, my faith in them doesn't change by throwing in a guy who doesn't know the offense. They'll just put even more training wheels on it.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
And yet, somehow Witten gets open against LBs all the time.
He does on little stop and in and out routes because he's great at reading coverages and he has a big body. How often do we see even Tony hitting him up the seam where he's outrunning LBs?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He does on little stop and in and out routes because he's great at reading coverages and he has a big body. How often do we see even Tony hitting him up the seam where he's outrunning LBs?
He doesn't have to outrun them, he just has to have the right leverage and he's pretty much a wizard at that. He gets hit pretty regularly where the LB is running with him but out of position to make the play.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Eh, we all know Witten catches lots of passes and yes, he is a wizard at that leverage. But this isn't one of those types of routes. Will you at least admit he isn't "wide open" on that play as Sturm claims? At least not until after Weeden has already turned to throw it to Dunbar.

I'd say that asking your backup QB to throw it to essentially a double covered Witten where a very accurate pass is required is a sure recipe for a loss. In fact I'm with some of the others saying they bet we turn him loose a lot more this week, and I bet he throws some INTs that hurt us if they ask him to do too much.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We run a timing offense and Cassel doesn't know the offense. You want to tell me that's not a recipe for 3-4 picks also?
Believe it or not Weeden has only thrown 4 picks in a game once in his career. He has only thrown 3 picks in a game once in his career as well. So I'm not sure the odds are great that Weeden goes on a pick fest.

But if Weeden is going to throw a pick I'd prefer it to be down the field taking a shot deep into single coverage as opposed to some sort of a short 3 yard pass he misses. If you throw the ball deep so many good things can happen. Even on incompletions half the time you see the defender panic and cause PI.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Believe it or not Weeden has only thrown 4 picks in a game once in his career. He has only thrown 3 picks in a game once in his career as well. So I'm not sure the odds are great that Weeden goes on a pick fest.

But if Weeden is going to throw a pick I'd prefer it to be down the field taking a shot deep into single coverage as opposed to some sort of a short 3 yard pass he misses. If you throw the ball deep so many good things can happen. Even on incompletions half the time you see the defender panic and cause PI.
And an intercepted ball deep down the field is as good as a punt, as they say.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And an intercepted ball deep down the field is as good as a punt, as they say.
:lol Well not exactly but in certain circumstances it could be. I mean third down if you throw the ball 50 yards down the field and the guy is immediately tackled. It's basically the same as a punt. The amount of deep jump balls that Farve would throw was crazy. But he knew, sometimes you just have to throw a deep ball up for grabs because the odds of something good happening are still in your favor.

But if you're going to risk an INT at least have the benefit of potentially a big play. It drives me nuts when a guy turns the ball over on a play that wasn't going to gain you shit regardless.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
:lol Well not exactly but in certain circumstances it could be. I mean third down if you throw the ball 50 yards down the field and the guy is immediately tackled. It's basically the same as a punt. The amount of deep jump balls that Farve would throw was crazy. But he knew, sometimes you just have to throw a deep ball up for grabs because the odds of something good happening are still in your favor.

But if you're going to risk an INT at least have the benefit of potentially a big play. It drives me nuts when a guy turns the ball over on a play that wasn't going to gain you shit regardless.
That was only slightly tongue in cheek. If the throw is deep to the sideline on a go route or similar, it's hard to get a big return on it so the field position could be similar to a punt. I think you could still hit Beasley on a hook or a comeback route as well. He doesn't have the speed Williams does but he can cut quickly and if they put a lone safety over Williams I think you can go down the field to Beasley.

Top Bottom