Archer: Terrell McClain can be valuable piece for Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Terrell McClain can be valuable piece for Cowboys
11:15 AM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The 2016 season will be Terrell McClain's third with the Dallas Cowboys, yet he remains something of a mystery.

He missed two games in 2014 because of an ankle injury and a concussion and was a healthy scratch for a third game. He missed 14 games this past season because of a toe injury that required surgery.

“I’m still kicking,” McClain said.

This is the final year of McClain’s deal, and the Cowboys need him to be healthy. When he has played, he has produced. He had five tackles and a quarterback pressure in the two games he played in 2015. In 2014, he had 20 tackles with a sack, three tackles for loss, seven quarterback pressures and a forced fumble.

At 6-foot-2, 302 pounds, he can play either defensive tackle spot.

Without McClain, the Cowboys had to rotate players behind Nick Hayden at nose tackle and probably played the veteran too many snaps. Finding depth on the interior of the line is a must for the Cowboys in 2016, but McClain offers a chance to find it in house.

In 2012, Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee missed 10 games because of a toe injury that required the same surgery as McClain.

“Sean looks fine to me,” McClain said. “I’ve talked to him even before the surgery, how it was, and how the pain was after the surgery. He really helped me out because I didn’t know what to expect. I never had surgery on my toe before. It was painful at first, but now I’m fine.”

McClain started running on the anti-gravity treadmill the last week of the season and expects to be full strength for the offseason program.

“I’ve been out of the game since Week 2, and it was just hard for me just week to week come up here and not be out there with my boys,” he said. “I’m going to work my hardest to get back on that field and make sure I’m not coming off it no more.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There have been two articles in the last couple of days detailing how crucial fucking Lance Dunbar and this JAG are to next season. That is frightening.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
2016 roster: Dunbar and McClain, check and check

When McClain is on he can make an impact, but his poor stamina and durability make him a bubble player at best in spite of his youth.

It's what happens when you invest in castoffs.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Who is this McClain tub of crap?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't mind bringing him back and letting him compete to be like our 4th or 5th DT but if we walk into camp with the idea that this guy is our 3rd DT and primary backup at the position then the front office/coaching staff is making another huge mistake.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't mind bringing him back and letting him compete to be like our 4th or 5th DT but if we walk into camp with the idea that this guy is our 3rd DT and primary backup at the position then the front office/coaching staff is making another huge mistake.
I dunno about you but I am sick of bottom of the roster JAGs getting the scholarship treatment practically every season.

The roster is set!

We have

Sam Hurd
Cory Procter
Kevin Ogletree
Phil Costa
Danny McCray
Lance Dunbar
Terrell McClain

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I dunno about you but I am sick of bottom of the roster JAGs getting the scholarship treatment practically every season.

The roster is set!

We have

Sam Hurd
Cory Procter
Kevin Ogletree
Phil Costa
Danny McCray
Lance Dunbar
Terrell McClain
It's annoying because it keeps the front office from generally looking for talent at those spots. A guy like McClain being on the roster for what, 1 million, in and of itself is perfectly fine, the complacency the front office shows by not looking to upgrade where ever possible is the real problem.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's annoying because it keeps the front office from generally looking for talent at those spots. A guy like McClain being on the roster for what, 1 million, in and of itself is perfectly fine, the complacency the front office shows by not looking to upgrade where ever possible is the real problem.
Said before and I will repeat:

Laziest front office in the NFL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be fair it's not like Jerry or Stephen are quoted in this article talking about McClain or his value. This was just a puff piece of a report talking to McClain. I see no reason to get upset with anyone other then the reporter for writing such a stupid waste of time article.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
It's that time of year again where every jag gets a write up touting him as a possible all-pro. zzzz.....

Top Bottom