Archer: Dallas Cowboys' pass rush 'not good enough'

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I was happy with his activity in week one, but he has been a let down side for sure. Problem is though, with Gregory out, Mincey out, the only other real pass rushing threat is Crawford.
This is the problem. Lawrence must key off a bigger player, preferably an effective one. He is best as part of a mix of linemen. But when the opposite DE and 1T suck and the 3T is by definition undersized, he is at a major disadvantage as are all the LB's behind him.

Getting Mincey back will be huge, and adding Hardy, Gregory, and McClain even bigger. Especially Hardy because he brings size and power as well as pass rushing ability.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Lawrence had a sack against the Saints.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So has Crawford.
He can't do it alone, especially if the guy next to him consistently gets single-teamed. Lawrence needs to play RDE, not LDE, but I think they think he plays the run well enough to be the LDE. Problem is that will wear him out.

This mini-LB mini-DL based defense needs an offense that can possess the football for long drives. It was built behind this single idea.

This front office's offseason blunder is staggering. Maybe, probably, cost us the season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool, he's on pace for 4 this year. Good stuff.
There were other times against the Saints where he smoked the tackle. It's hard when the QB is releasing the ball the second it hits his hands. This past game he played well. The other ones I agree he needed to do better.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Weeden's style of play requires the defense to play a good/great game for 4 qtrs and the over the past 6 qtrs the Cowboys' defense has proven that they aren't good enough to compensate for the lack of talent on offense.

Playing defense on a team that has a QB like Weeden leading it is like walking a tight rope. There's very little room for error.

Last night's game reminded me of the 2000-2002 Cowboys. Teams would simply play it safe against us knowing the QB couldn't hurt them. For 3 qtrs our defense would play well (probably because many of our opponents deployed a watered down game plan knowing that it wouldn't take much to beat us) but in the 4th qtr it felt as if teams would flip the switch and run their normal offense. Suddenly that solid Cowboys' defense that we watched for 3 qtrs was being gashed mercilessly.

I think we're seeing that trend again.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
There were other times against the Saints where he smoked the tackle. It's hard when the QB is releasing the ball the second it hits his hands. This past game he played well. The other ones I agree he needed to do better.

I couldn't resist being sarcastic but I agree with you actually. Lawrence played probably his best game of the year last night. He was pretty solid.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Weeden's style of play requires the defense to play a good/great game for 4 qtrs and the over the past 6 qtrs the Cowboys' defense has proven that they aren't good enough to compensate for the lack of talent on offense.

Playing defense on a team that has a QB like Weeden leading it is like walking a tight rope. There's very little room for error.

Last night's game reminded me of the 2000-2002 Cowboys. Teams would simply play it safe against us knowing the QB couldn't hurt them. For 3 qtrs our defense would play well (probably because many of our opponents deployed a watered down game plan knowing that it wouldn't take much to beat us) but in the 4th qtr it felt as if teams would flip the switch and run their normal offense. Suddenly that solid Cowboys' defense that we watched for 3 qtrs was being gashed mercilessly.

I think we're seeing that trend again.
Maybe we need to just spread it out and let Weeden chuck it. That seemed to be the only way to get him in a good rythm throwing the ball. I would rather run out of those formations anyway. I hate when we go multiple TEs and try to run. It telegraphs what we are doing and forces extra guys near the line of scrimmage.

Didn't we run best last year out of the 3 WR sets?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Maybe we need to just spread it out and let Weeden chuck it. That seemed to be the only way to get him in a good rythm throwing the ball. I would rather run out of those formations anyway. I hate when we go multiple TEs and try to run. It telegraphs what we are doing and forces extra guys near the line of scrimmage.

Didn't we run best last year out of the 3 WR sets?
Weeden is definitely more comfortable in a spread and there's nothing to say you can't run the ball out of that formation.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Too thin to win all by himself. He needs to be in a rotation or play next to a powerful defender.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it's exhaustion. When a player gets tired these things happen. He was playing the run strong early. I'm hoping with Hardy and Gregory coming back we can use Mincey more at LE. Mincey is a nice player and all but he provides little help in terms of pass rush at RE. What he would be really helpful at is resting Lawrence and stopping the run on the left side.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think it's exhaustion. When a player gets tired these things happen. He was playing the run strong early. I'm hoping with Hardy and Gregory coming back we can use Mincey more at LE. Mincey is a nice player and all but he provides little help in terms of pass rush at RE. What he would be really helpful at is resting Lawrence and stopping the run on the left side.
Absolutely correct. I blame the running game, mainly.

Even with our defenders back I think we're stuck in a weird numbers game where Marinelli's ass-buddy Hayden never leaves the lineup.

You'd like to see Hardy, Crawford, Gregory, and Lawrence on the field at the same time, but that leaves us short a 1-technique.

Funny how the least talented guy gets to stay in.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely correct. I blame the running game, mainly.

Even with our defenders back I think we're stuck in a weird numbers game where Marinelli's ass-buddy Hayden never leaves the lineup.

You'd like to see Hardy, Crawford, Gregory, and Lawrence on the field at the same time, but that leaves us short a 1-technique.

Funny how the least talented guy gets to stay in.
If we have a healthy rotation the D-line will flourish. I just think injuries and suspensions had us to the point where we are using Lawrence way too much. I also think having Romo in there moving the ball consistently would help a ton. We can point to the run game all you want but Romo averaged like 8 yards every time he threw the ball last year. I don't care if it is 3rd and 9, I have lots of faith in Romo moving the chains.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If we have a healthy rotation the D-line will flourish. I just think injuries and suspensions had us to the point where we are using Lawrence way too much. I also think having Romo in there moving the ball consistently would help a ton. We can point to the run game all you want but Romo averaged like 8 yards every time he threw the ball last year. I don't care if it is 3rd and 9, I have lots of faith in Romo moving the chains.
Weeden is averaging 9.2 yards per attempt. He's nowhere in Romo's league, but he's serviceable. He can keep the offense going when he has a chance.

Look around the league at backup QB's. You have Mark Sanchez and a bunch of has-been or never-was kind of guys. No wonder the Steelers jumped on Vick.

Our problem is the running game is just as average as the backup QB... except it's at full strength, or at least it was until Dunbar fell.

We are 20% converting 3rd and 1. Telling. Weeden is getting stuck in 3rd and long too often and we can't convert-- 4-18 on 3rd down and 1-2 on 4th down the last two games.

Can't win that way. I believe yards on first down is a huge indicator of a team's strength, and we are failing at it. Points to the run.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Weeden is averaging 9.2 yards per attempt. He's nowhere in Romo's league, but he's serviceable. He can keep the offense going when he has a chance.

Look around the league at backup QB's. You have Mark Sanchez and a bunch of has-been or never-was kind of guys. No wonder the Steelers jumped on Vick.

Our problem is the running game is just as average as the backup QB... except it's at full strength, or at least it was until Dunbar fell.

We are 20% converting 3rd and 1. Telling. Weeden is getting stuck in 3rd and long too often and we can't convert-- 4-18 on 3rd down and 1-2 on 4th down the last two games.

Can't win that way. I believe yards on first down is a huge indicator of a team's strength, and we are failing at it. Points to the run.
The Dallas offense is currently going against a run stacked defense on every down and Dallas doesn't challenge it. It's a hopeless situation for any running back. Burn the opponents defense early by changing up and the defense will be forced to realign. Dallas is their own worst enemy for a running game.

Genghis Khan

We're missing a lot of guys on defense, including missing Lee for about a half in each of the last two games. Hopefully things improve as we start to get guys back.

Genghis Khan

The Dallas offense is currently going against a run stacked defense on every down and Dallas doesn't challenge it. It's a hopeless situation for any running back. Burn the opponents defense early by changing up and the defense will be forced to realign. Dallas is their own worst enemy for a running game.
I'm not sure that's true.

Top Bottom